RIP David Sanborn, 1945-2024

Jazz saxophonist David Sanborn passes away at 78after a long bout with prostrate cancer.  I have a few of his CD's, which will go into the player today.  Rest well, David.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/david-sanborn-dead-jazz-saxophonist-dies-1235897991/

• Like 5

I always associated Sanborn with the soft jazz genre, though not as soft as Kenny G (eww). More pop jazz, maybe. Still, he had a long career playing the sax and he has my respect. RIP David.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

He was good, and his albums were boosted by having ace bass player Marcus Miller handling the production and arrangements on his songs. I wouldn't even think of comparing him to Kenny G, he was way above him, he was more like a lightweight version of Michael Brecker or Eric Marienthal. 

RIP David.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 4

Sanborn was a strong reference point between my saxophone teacher and I when I was taking lessons. He will always have my respect as one of the greats of his generation. Rest in peace.

• Like 2

This is sad news indeed.  I found his music through a former spouse and I bought many of his albums.  I just read a write up about him and he really had an R&B sensibility to his music as well.  Saw him in concert several times and he was fantastic.  I remember being impressed when I read about his struggles with polio as a child and how he took up the saxophone as a sort of therapy for him.  The way he held the sax was surprising but after realizing the health challenges he went through, it just grew on me.  Lovely tone with sharp edges, the alto sax his specialty.

RIP :heart: :sad::rose:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I always associated Sanborn with the soft jazz genre, though not as soft as Kenny G (eww). More pop jazz, maybe. Still, he had a long career playing the sax and he has my respect. RIP David.

After learning to love the alto sax sound, I could never get into Kenny G, that soprano sounded so wimpy :LOL:  He was more than a smooth jazz artist too, remember him playing for James Taylor, David Bowie and Elton John among many others.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rhyta said:

After learning to love the alto sax sound, I could never get into Kenny G, that soprano sounded so wimpy :LOL:  He was more than a smooth jazz artist too, remember him playing for James Taylor, David Bowie and Elton John among many others.

Soprano can sound beautiful, but in a fragile way usually. Or in a whiny way it can make a mean noise. It can’t out muscle the alto or tenor though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Soprano can sound beautiful, but in a fragile way usually. Or in a whiny way it can make a mean noise. It can’t out muscle the alto or tenor though.

Try the Soprano Sax on this:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, treeduck said:

I wouldn't even think of comparing him to Kenny G, he was way above him, he was more like a lightweight version of Michael Brecker or Eric Marienthal. 

Yes, that's fair.

I mentioned Kenny G to illustrate the type of music both he and Sanborn play, more instrumental pop than traditional improvisational jazz.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 4:03 PM, treeduck said:

Try the Soprano Sax on this:

Yes much better, soprano blends in well with the keyboards.  Killer track.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 4:17 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yes, that's fair.

I mentioned Kenny G to illustrate the type of music both he and Sanborn play, more instrumental pop than traditional improvisational jazz.

I would quibble with you on his music being instrumental pop, I never heard his songs on pop stations like Kenny G, he was everywhere.  Sanborn didn't think of himself as a classical jazz player but he had the chops to be one.

Here he is doing a song on soprano sax,  sounds good but also like he's crammed into that small instrument and trying to break out...:smile: