Old Bands with Great Late Releases

All the hype around Judas Priest's new album had me thinking. What other bands have had a great album late into their career that stands alongside their classic seminal works. It got me thinking about another band's 19th studio release:

Rush - Clockwork Angels

This was the first studio album release since I became a fan and I played the thing to death when it came out. Revisiting it earlier this year with Geddy's book made me realize how well it still sounded. Some people have soured to this one over the years, but it really stands up well for me still. Of the last three albums Rush released, this was the most inspired and fresh. Because of the novel and story, the album actually feels like it has a sense of direction and purpose. 

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 5

• The title was changed to Old Bands with Great Late Releases

How do we define "old"? Because there are bands from the nineties who honestly fit this standard.  Twenty years ago, I saw the eighties defined as old school, so it's not a stretch to include nineties bands now.

• Like 1

Talking of bands who are definitely...erm...vintage, Styx immediately come to mind. Their last two albums are, honestly, close to their best work.

Judas Priest are the obvious one, but honestly I think Saxon have not stepped a foot wrong since 1995's underrated Dogs Of War. For my money, they have had a better run of great albums than Priest or Maiden, unfortunately they never quite hit the heights of those two bands best works either. Their latest album, Hell, Fire And Damnation is a wonderful record that I refuse to overlook for the mighty Priest. In fact, I'm playing both new albums endlessly.

2017's Incorruptible by Iced Earth was an absolute blast from start to finish. The two albums before it I love as well.

Paradise Lost began in the late eighties. Their last album is regarded more and more by fans as perhaps their best work, top five at least, definitely. 

Styx- The Mission

Styx- Crash Of The Crown

Saxon- Thunderbolt 

Saxon- Carpe Diem

Saxon- Hell, Fire And Damnation 

Paradise Lost- Obsidian

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

How do we define "old"? Because there are bands from the nineties who honestly fit this standard.  Twenty years ago, I saw the eighties defined as old school, so it's not a stretch to include nineties bands now.

I'd include 90s bands. If a band's most popular album is more than 25 years old and they release something great now, that should count. Even that's strict considering a lot of classic rock/prog bands were considered old timers back in the 1980s

• Like 2

Just now, Union 5-3992 said:

I'd include 90s bands. If a band's most popular album is more than 25 years old and they release something great now, that should count. Even that's strict considering a lot of classic rock/prog bands were considered old timers back in the 1980s

Good!

Oh, and another two come to mind:

Dream Theaters last two albums are close to perfection for me. 

Toto's XIV is fantastic, even with ugly production. I'd also say that Falling In Between, whilst patchy, was a phenomenal change of pace for them. If the songs were not massively consistent, the energy and the ambition was still fire.

Bruce Springsteens Western Stars and Letter To You are amongst his finest works. 

• Like 1

Blue Oyster Cult are on top form as well, based on their last album.

• Like 4

Smashing Pumpkins - Atum - At three discs and 33 tracks, it is a bit too long, but there is still some rally good music on this release with a good mix of heavy rock and synth pop.

As for Clockwork Angels, I think I appreciate more each time I revisit it.  The only songs I always skip are Halo Effect, BU2B2, Wish Them Well, and The Garden.  The album essentially stops for me after Headlong Flight, which is really what Rush should have done, too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Smashing Pumpkins - Atum - At three discs and 33 tracks, it is a bit too long, but there is still some rally good music on this release with a good mix of heavy rock and synth pop.

As for Clockwork Angels, I think I appreciate more each time I revisit it.  The only songs I always skip are Halo Effect, BU2B2, Wish Them Well, and The Garden.  The album essentially stops for me after Headlong Flight, which is really what Rush should have done, too.

I really could barely get through Atum the first time I played it. I should revisit it. Out of 33 songs, a few should be good. But there's definitely enough bad in there to have kept me away. 

• Like 1

Judas Priest The last two.

Blue Oyster cults last album was AMAZING.

I really enjoyed the last rolling Stones and i'm not even a big fan.

Iron Maiden.  yes you can argue they're all too long which i agree but they all have Quality songs.

Styx last two.

Mick

• Like 5

Well some of the heavy hitters have already been called out for sure. I agree massively on Priest (Firepower and IS), Styx (The Mission and CotC), Springsteen (Western Stars, haven’t actually heard Letter To You), and our beloved Rush (Clockwork Angels). A couple others to toss in off the top of my head:

Bowie - Blackstar

Black Sabbath - 13

For me I think it’s less about exactly how long the artist has been around, and more about the sense that a record like this has really been a major uptick in quality or reputation from what their average had become over time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I almost forgot about Hackney Diamonds by the Rolling Stones. That album was far better than it had any reason to be. 

I just did not love this record. Maybe I’m too young. I thought Mick’s voice sounded weird and the songs just didn’t do much for me.

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well some of the heavy hitters have already been called out for sure. I agree massively on Priest (Firepower and IS), Styx (The Mission and CotC), Springsteen (Western Stars, haven’t actually heard Letter To You), and our beloved Rush (Clockwork Angels). A couple others to toss in off the top of my head:

Bowie - Blackstar

Black Sabbath - 13

For me I think it’s less about exactly how long the artist has been around, and more about the sense that a record like this has really been a major uptick in quality or reputation from what their average had become over time. 

I really don't think 13 has aged very well. It's good for what it is, but I'd argue The Devil You Know by Heaven and Hell might be Sabbath's last great album. It's definitely the best thing Dio did in his later career. 

If we're included solo acts.  Springsteen has been on a mini resurgence with his last 2. he has such a rocky later era (IMO)  these last 2.....not counting the covers album.....where like.  "where has THIS Bruce been?

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I'm glad rush didn't listen to you. The Garden is regarded by far more fan's than not as a perfect closing note to their studio discography. And all the songs you mention, I love.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taking Out the Astonishing Mangini era of DT has been aces as well.  I loved A View from the Top of the World.

Mick

Yes! 

The last two albums are close to perfection for me. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I really don't think 13 has aged very well. It's good for what it is, but I'd argue The Devil You Know by Heaven and Hell might be Sabbath's last great album. It's definitely the best thing Dio did in his later career. 

Absolutely agree.

I prefer Dehumaniser to 13.

• Like 1

I hate to be THAT guy sucking off a Beatle.  but i will be.  Paul Mccartney's later career from 2005 on has been.....by and large absolutly FANTASTIC.

Mick

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I hate to be THAT guy sucking off a Beatle.  but i will be.  Paul Mccartney's later career from 2005 on has been.....by and large absolutly FANTASTIC.

Mick

Has it?

Oof...I feel I am missing out.

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Oh and Elvis Costello has been on a roll too.

Mick

Not me thinking he was dead

• Haha 2

This thread...this thread is gonna consume my time 

• Haha 2

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Has it?

Oof...I feel I am missing out.

here's the caveat though.  if you're not a fan of his solo stuff.  i can't see you getting much from it.

i adore the guy so it's been fun. not like i've loved his whole solo career but you get me, lol

Mick