Doctor Who

JohnRogers

15 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Agreed about the classic Doctors, but I wouldn't go as far as McCoy. He was totally unlikable, and the stories were badly edited. 

I love the 7th doctor. He was leaps and bounds better than 6, and Ace was a great companion for him.

"Unimaginable power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera etcetera!"

2 hours ago, KenJennings said:

I love the 7th doctor. He was leaps and bounds better than 6, and Ace was a great companion for him.

"Unimaginable power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera etcetera!"

You know the expression 'Two heads are better than one? Well, I think one head is better than three'.  4th :blast: 5th 6th 7th. 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:39 PM, blackhawkrush said:

You should go back and watch the classics first. Tom Baker (4th Doctor) immediately comes to mind. 

That's where I came in to the series, loved Baker.  At the time the episodes were being played on PBS and at pledge time they had Dr. Who marathons.  I didn't care for the guys who came after so I didn't come back until BBC America brought it back.  Enjoyed Eccleston and Tennant.  Haven't really taken to any of the new ones but have been watching more Star Wars stuff lately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I bailed halfway through the Christopher Eccleston episode World War Three. I don't think this is for me.

As a fan of the show, that one is particularly dreadful. I saw it once 12 years ago and I'll never have the desire to see it again. The following episode, Dalek is a cheesy but solid episode.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

I can do without the boots. :whipgirl:How about Polly and Victoria?   :wub:

Two 'oldies but goldies'!

Tardis Bar-Victoria Waterfield 'Always the Lady' – The Ultimate Guide to  the fashion of Doctor Who

Happy Birthday to Anneke Wills, who played Polly, the companion of the  First and Second Doctor, from "The War Machines" until "The Faceless Ones".  : r/doctorwho

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

I'd agree it was definitely tailing off then.

For me, William Hartnell through to Tom Baker was the classic era of the show.

I still watched Peter Davison through to Sylvester McCoy but it was just Ok by then - some good episodes some bad. It was probably for the best that the show took a hiatus.

The one off Paul McGann show in 1996 was interesting but lacking that lowish budget BBC feel which was part of the show's charm.

As for the show's reboot in 2005 -

I quite liked Christopher Eccleston.

I really liked Tennant, Smith and Capaldi.

I'm afraid I struggled with Jody Whittaker. Nothing to do with being a female doctor, more the fact that by now the BBC were so 'woke' that coherent scripts didn't really matter so long as every minority possible was represented and that nobody could possibly be offended. Every episode was a preaching session in the name of political correctness.

The return of Tennant has helped steer the ship back on course so it will be interesting to see how newbie Ncuti Gatwa does.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zepphead said:

Two 'oldies but goldies'!

Tardis Bar-Victoria Waterfield 'Always the Lady' – The Ultimate Guide to  the fashion of Doctor Who

Happy Birthday to Anneke Wills, who played Polly, the companion of the  First and Second Doctor, from "The War Machines" until "The Faceless Ones".  : r/doctorwho

To be fair, Victoria was always running around screaming so they finally had to K-9 her. Polly was more opinionated and was given more complex parts. 

Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 1