Peter Gabriel - I/O

One of my favourite albums of 2023. An absolutely superb listen.

I had heard a lot of the tracks as they were drip-fed throughout the year but the final album release still had a big impact on me.

One thing though ........ I can't decide whether I prefer the Bright-side mix or the Dark-side mix.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 2:30 PM, thizzellewashington said:

Can't believe there's no thread for this album. It's f***ing KILLER. Best album he's put out in decades. Anyone else into it?

I can believe it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zepphead said:

I had heard a lot of the tracks as they were drip-fed throughout the year but the final album release still had a big impact on me.

One thing though ........ I can't decide whether I prefer the Bright-side mix or the Dark-side mix.

I think I like the bright side mix more. I really can't believe how good this album is. I really wish the lyrics were included in the CD package. I know they're on his website, but that doesn't really improve my listening experience much.

• Like 1

I i like it a lot.  I don't think it comes close to any of his first 4.  BUT it is his best in a LONG time.

it was just nice hearing his voice too.   He's in remarkably good shape vocally on this album for his age.

Also maybe it's me but i can't tell much difference in the 2 mixes, lol

Solid album though.

Mick

• Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 1:28 PM, zepphead said:

What are your favourite songs on the album, or even an overall song ranking if you like?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 6:33 PM, bluefox4000 said:

I i like it a lot.  I don't think it comes close to any of his first 4.  BUT it is his best in a LONG time.

it was just nice hearing his voice too.   He's in remarkably good shape vocally on this album for his age.

Solid album though.

Mick

I agree that it's not quite up there with the first four albums (a near impossible task!) 

But yes, it is a great album and certainly his best, as you say, in a LONG time!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zepphead said:

I agree that it's not quite up there with the first four albums (a near impossible task!) 

But yes, it is a great album and certainly his best, as you say, in a LONG time!

Next he should do a follow up to Games Without Frontiers and the video should feature the disgraced Stuart Hall, of It's a Knockout fame, in a cage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

What are your favourite songs on the album, or even an overall song ranking if you like?

I can't give an overall ranking because at the moment my favourite tracks are changing every time I listen to it!

But currently Live and Let Live and Road To Joy are doing it for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Next he should do a follow up to Games Without Frontiers and the video should feature the disgraced Stuart Hall, of It's a Knockout fame, in a cage!

It might just work!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zepphead said:

I can't give an overall ranking because at the moment my favourite tracks are changing every time I listen to it!

But currently Live and Let Live and Road To Joy are doing it for me.

I'll come back here when you've decided. :drink:

6 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

Best songs for me: Panopticom, I/O, Four Kinds of Horses, Road to Joy, This is Home

The more I try to choose favourites, the more I am coming to the conclusion that they are pretty much all damn good!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:33 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Solid album though.

Mick

I think it's just as good as anything he's ever done. Might be his best yet. Having those different mixes is like a bonus. Totally changes the character of the music.The man knows what he's doing.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 9:20 AM, ytserush said:

I think it's just as good as anything he's ever done. Might be his best 

I/O  is so good it's beyond definition

• Like 1

I am adoring this record... it's hard to rank something so new against records that I've had a relationship with for so many years...but I would put it above Up and maybe even 1 and 2!  (III is my fave of his, with IV, So and Us right behind...)  It is just so great that he is still making valuable art that is in line with his best work at this stage in his life...we are so conditioned to receive "ok" albums from legacy artists like this.  If this was anyone's album, at any age, it would likely rank among their best work.

I followed along as he released the songs one at a time last year...I know a lot of people didn't seem to like that choice, but I really did.  I had an incredibly hard year last year...cancer diagnosis and treatment - and it was a bright spot each month to look forward to.  I loved them all as the came out...but I remember so clearly hearing Playing For Time that first listen.  It made me weep.  It's not my fave on the record...but boy did it hit me hard.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, treeduck said:

I think I've got a picture of them here but I'm not sure where this is from:

DarkSide-angle_inside-spread_perspective

Wonder where that's from. My booklet is mostly green in color. No red at all. Vinyl maybe?

I bought the 3 disc package (2 audio + 1 bluray) a few weeks ago, and it's absolutely incredible. I like the Dark Side Mix as it's a bit brighter, despite it's name. But both mixes are killer, and if you're a fan you should own this album.

• Like 1