Will Suspending NFL Games Become The Norm?

Principled Man

A New England Patriots player, Isaiah Bolden, was severely injured in the 4th Quarter last night.  An unfortunate collision with his teammate.  He was taken out on a stretcher, and the game was suspended.  This latest incident and the incident last year to the Bills' Hamlin suggest that the suspension of games may become standard practice when serious injuries occur.       

Pre-season games will probably be suspended more often.

Regular season games may be suspended more often. 

Post-Season games will probably not be suspended - for obvious reasons.

I'm guessing that the NFL does not want to get in the habit of suspending more regular season games, as it causes a lot of trouble for playoff-bound teams. 

Only the future knows..... 

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:

I'd wager that after the Bills-Bengals issues last year, the NFL is less likely to cancel regular season games under the "the show must go on and everybody is getting the best possible care" logic. 

Cancelling a pre-season game, though, is good optics.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'd wager that after the Bills-Bengals issues last year, the NFL is less likely to cancel regular season games under the "the show must go on and everybody is getting the best possible care" logic. 

Cancelling a pre-season game, though, is good optics.

4th quarter on top of it...that game was practically over. 95% of the guys playing at that point will be cut next week. 

• Haha 1

I can see games being suspended to be completed the next day but not cancelled.  They've had at least the off-season to think through all of the logistics.  Preseason games are disposable.

• Like 1

I miss the era of honoring a fallen comrade by forging ahead.  :eh:

Cancelling a game changes nothing in terms of the person's injury, so I say play on.

• Like 1