We Didn't Start The Fire - Fall Out Boy

JohnRogers

No, this is not one of my brilliant Greatest Song of All Time threads.  We Didn't Start The Fire from Billy Joel is a brilliant trip through recent history. Part of what Joel gets right is the references in the song are mostly in the proper chronological order. While I admire Fall Out Boy take a swig at this they miss by being out or order for the events they refer to.

Am I right? Am I too harsh in my criticism? Ham and tuna sandwich?

I never liked the original song to begin with.  It was littered with too many pop culture references which sound dated now.  BJ sounded like he was just naming things he saw on the news.  I always preferred Elton John to BJ. I do like Fall Out Boy though.  They are pretty good in concert and Pete Wentz is nice to his fans.  

10 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

No, this is not one of my brilliant Greatest Song of All Time threads.  We Didn't Start The Fire from Billy Joel is a brilliant trip through recent history. Part of what Joel gets right is the references in the song are mostly in the proper chronological order. While I admire Fall Out Boy take a swig at this they miss by being out or order for the events they refer to.

It's not a cover if all of the lyrics are different.,

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Obama-wtf GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Well, you think you can fold pizza, it's not the first time I've responded :wtf: to your posts.   And it won't be the last time, either.

11 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Well, you think you can fold pizza, it's not the first time I've responded :wtf: to your posts.   And it won't be the last time, either.

If you can't fold it then it's casserole.

16 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

It's not bad for what it is. 

On 8/19/2023 at 9:49 PM, JohnRogers said:

IMO you are 100% right. I am not a very big Billy Joel fan but this is one of his songs I really like.  Allentown would be my favorite song from him and then either this or You May Right.  I think its likely that this would be #2 on my list being behind Allentown but ahead of You May Be Right.

Like you, I liked that the historical references (which I really liked) were mostly in historical order.  I actually liked this song but not having the events basically in historical order  - ouch.  Big negative.  But otherwise (and even with that negative) its still a fun song.  Glad I clicked on the link, never heard of the song (or the group for that matter) b4.  Good but get the order right - that would make it better. 

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 9:21 AM, JohnRogers said:

Obama-wtf GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 8/20/2023 at 9:47 AM, laughedatbytime said:

You should be able to fold a slice of pizza. :pizza: As opposed to eating it out of a bowl with a spoon like in some cities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, for the record. Some of us knew exactly what was going on and who was responsible after the *first* plane hit.   Just sayin'.

10 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

You should be able to fold a slice of pizza. :pizza: As opposed to eating it out of a bowl with a spoon like in some cities.

Nobody eats the world's best pizza out of a bowl with a spoon, although the sight of real pizza might confuse some New Yorkers.    On the other hand, the quintessential New Yorker eats his New York Sbarro style pizza with a knife and fork.:laugh:

I'll give NY style this though.  It's much better as origami than real pizza.  If only because it actually has nothing to do with how it actually tastes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Nobody eats the world's best pizza out of a bowl with a spoon, although the sight of real pizza might confuse some New Yorkers.    On the other hand, the quintessential New Yorker eats his New York Sbarro style pizza with a knife and fork.:laugh:

I'll give NY style this though.  It's much better as origami than real pizza.  If only because it actually has nothing to do with how it actually tastes.

Sbarro is pretty awful, for the record. It's shopping mall and airport terminal pizza. Very doughy and bland.

• Like 1