The Official 2023-24 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

FIFA and UEFA are contemplating changes to the rules. A yellow card may result in a 10-minute penalty for a player, and yellow cards could also be given for simple complaints to the referee. I'm not a fan of refs, but this constant arms-spread approach from players after every whistle has become tiresome. If you're not the captain, shut up. I'm disappointed that 'the 60-minute game with time-stoppage when the ball is not in play' idea has been put on the back burner, although I would've preferred the 90 minutes to remain anyway. And I think starting next season the refs will be miked-up NFL-style and will have a chance to explain their decisions to the people in the stadium. 

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

FIFA and UEFA are contemplating changes to the rules. A yellow card may result in a 10-minute penalty for a player, and yellow cards could also be given for simple complaints to the referee. I'm not a fan of refs, but this constant arms-spread approach from players after every whistle has become tiresome. If you're not the captain, shut up. I'm disappointed that 'the 60-minute game with time-stoppage when the ball is not in play' idea has been put on the back burner, although I would've preferred the 90 minutes to remain anyway. And I think starting next season the refs will be miked-up NFL-style and will have a chance to explain their decisions to the people in the stadium. 

If a couple of whiners get sent off and their side gives up a goal or two, that might have a very salutary effect. They'd learn to zip it PDQ. 

Can't say I'd be too thrilled with changing the time frame of the game, but if less time was wasted, the 90 minutes would feel more legit. I dunno about the mic'ing; that just sounds like more non-play time. When the ref makes the little air square and points to the spot, I don't need him to stop and tell me "VAR says it's a penalty" . . .  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

If a couple of whiners get sent off and their side gives up a goal or two, that might have a very salutary effect. They'd learn to zip it PDQ. 

Can't say I'd be too thrilled with changing the time frame of the game, but if less time was wasted, the 90 minutes would feel more legit. I dunno about the mic'ing; that just sounds like more non-play time. When the ref makes the little air square and points to the spot, I don't need him to stop and tell me "VAR says it's a penalty" . . .  

I agree with that completely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Random comment of the morning:

What the hell is with this pink kits that Fulham are wearing? They look like giant highlighters. No, thank you.

You're not progressive enough. It's pink for a boy, blue for a girl now. 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:26 AM, blackhawkrush said:

Legia 2 Cracovia 0 :rose: Our owner has died. It's just as well he didn't witness this spectacle. 

Cracovia 2 Legia 0 :angel: The owner had a little talk with God. 

19 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Cracovia 2 Legia 0 :angel: The owner had a little talk with God. 

Supernatural intervention aside, do they play home-and-homes in the Extra Classy? Was it a two-legged cup tie? If so, does it go to replay, or who won the shootout? Is it the second half of the schedule and it's the first half in reverse? I'm just made of questions right now.

• Like 1

Supernatural intervention aside, do they play home-and-homes in the Extra Classy? Was it a two-legged cup tie? If so, does it go to replay, or who won the shootout? Is it the second half of the schedule and it's the first half in reverse? I'm just made of questions right now.

First match was on Sunday, as part of 19th round of Ekstraklasa games, and the second was on Wednesday as the postponed 2nd round fixture, because Legia had to rest before a European Cup tie at that time. Btw, Kallman with both goals. Wales, beware. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

R.I.P. Franz Beckenbauer.   :rose:

I haven't been here for a while but I felt I had to pay my respects to 'Der Kaiser'.

One of the greatest players of my generation (or any other for that matter!)

RIP Franz.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zepphead said:

I haven't been here for a while but I felt I had to pay my respects to 'Der Kaiser'.

One of the greatest players of my generation (or any other for that matter!)

RIP Franz.

He was definitely part of 'That '70s Show'. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 3:55 PM, blackhawkrush said:

Wisla has a new coach. Albert Rude, ties with Spain, Costa Rica, Mexico and MLS. Problem is he has no knowledge of Fortuna 1 Liga. 

His press conference showed he's a likable guy. He knows some of our Spanish players and seems like a passionate coach. All fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

His press conference showed he's a likable guy. He knows some of our Spanish players and seems like a passionate coach. All fingers crossed. 

Great sports cliche: "Well, he won the press conference . . ."

• Like 1

Oh no, Jurgen! Say it ain't so! 

(Please not Stevie G . . . )

Lost the passion? Posible Premier League title, another crack at the Champions League, contract valid until 2026. My wife would take to the :whipgirl:if I tried to pull off something like that.