Immaculate Grid, a fun new baseball trivia game (and there are also similar games for the NFL, NBA, and NHL)

I don't know if any of you have played this game, but I find it addictive.   Basically it's a nine square grid with a team or an accomplishment across the top and to the left and your task is to fill in either a player who had played for each team in the row and column or who had played for a team and managed an accomplishment.   If for example the teams in the first column and first row were the Cardinals and Royals, respectively, you could enter Al Hrabosky, who played for both teams.   Or if the column was Hit 500 HRs and the row was marked by the SF logo, you could choose Willie Mays.

The website is linked iin the article below, along with a description more detailed than above.  

What is MLB Immaculate Grid? Explaining the rules, how to play new daily baseball guessing game | Sporting News

Just wondering if anyone had played it and if so how many squares you were able to fill out and what your rarity score was, if you're willing to share.   Even if not, hopefully you find something new and fun to play.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Immaculate Grid, a fun new baseball trivia game (and there are also similar games for the NFL, NBA, and NHL)
14 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Why NHL last, dude?   :angry:  

Saved the best for last.

• Like 1

I'm hopeless at remembering things like this; I looked at today's grid and couldn't come up with a single name! Of course, if I see the names, I'm sure I'll say to myself, "oh, yeah -- that guy!"

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'm hopeless at remembering things like this; I looked at today's grid and couldn't come up with a single name! Of course, if I see the names, I'm sure I'll say to myself, "oh, yeah -- that guy!"

The more you try the more you remember.     I couldn't come up with the White Sox-Angels combo, Brian Downing was the only player of significance that played for both franchises.   Usually (unless you're a fan of the team) it's easier to get the players who hit the milestones.

I do much better on baseball than football, with football it's hard to remember much but QBs, RBs, WRs, and maybe kickers.  I don't even try the NBA and NHL, I wouldn't get more than 1 or 2 of those.

• Like 1

If you want some significant rarity points, and Washington and Tampa Bay show up, choose Joe LaSorsa, who was a low leverage reliever for both teams in the last two months.

9 of 9 but a high rarity score of 262.  Nova, you might enjoy this one, the Royals are one of the columns.

• Like 1

Only got 7 tonight.  Nova, you might be able to beat that, because the Cardinals are one of the columns and a couple of rows are actually lesser NL West teams and the Cards are known for taking their best players and giving nothing in return.

• Haha 1

Dammit, only 7 again.  Got the wrong Upton and I thought Eddie Matthews got ROY.

13 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Only four today; rarity of 636 -- thank you Sweet Lou Whitaker! I got three ROY, but couldn't think of a Rangers MVP.

The problem with being young...not being witness to Jeff Burroughs' 1974 season, when leading the league in RBIs meant a leg up in the MVP voting.

Or did you use him as your at Atl-Tex guy?  :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

The problem with being young...not being witness to Jeff Burroughs' 1974 season, when leading the league in RBIs meant a leg up in the MVP voting.

Or did you use him as your at Atl-Tex guy?  :smile:

I didn't use him at all! Not too familiar with his oeuvre, really. Young? Right now, I'm looking over my shoulder, wondering if you're talking to some young guy behind me! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I didn't use him at all! Not too familiar with his oeuvre, really. Young? Right now, I'm looking over my shoulder, wondering if you're talking to some young guy behind me! 

Do you remember Bob Horner?   He's an earlier, less consistent version of that, down to body shape and even hair.    Most of his career value was in that year, although he did have a decent year with Atlanta when they were consistently bad.

Well, shit.    8 of 9 and I only got the Bal/Was one wrong because I thought the combination had come up before and Anthony Bemboom was a possible answer at a miniscule rarity score (even with the 100 pt penalty my rarity score was 155, because apparently most players are too young to remember for example that Rick Monday played for both the Cubs and Dodgers.)

On the other hand I suck at the football version because I can only remember the skill position guys (and even then, not always, for example, Andy Dalton was both a Saint and a Cowboy).    I only got 4 of those today (and only 1 of the 6 squares that involved playing for two teams and not achievements.)

• Like 1

7 of 9 in the NFL game today.   Missed an easy one but still had a good rarity score of 329 given that I missed two.

MLB 9 of 9, 187 rarity score

NFL, 7 of 9, 377 (helped by the Dolphins being one of the teams).

15 minutes ago, ReRushed said:

I love the Immaculate Grid. A very humbling game...

Its really humbling when there are like 250 answers and I know none of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 of 9, rarity score of 219.  I could have sworn Pat Neshek pitched for the Blue Jays!

:angry:

7 of 9, 331 for football.  NBA is now live but I'd be pretty bad at it.

I must have blocked out Shannon Sharpe in my mind, seeing he's now most closely associated with Skip Bayless.

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Good question! Going for those rarity points, eh?

Yep, and while I can't imagine that Amos Otis or Frank White wouldn't have been AlStars, I thought the same about Wathan, so I chose him.