The Official 2023 MLB Thread

Nova Carmina

The Cincinnati Reds said goodbye to Joey Votto - possibly the most beloved Reds player since the days of the Big Red Machine. 

I really admired his old school mentality, passion and desire to win.  He would have fit in very well with Sparky, Johnny, Pete and the rest of the gang.  :thumbsup:  

1297746703577_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=90&si

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:31 AM, Principled Man said:

The Cincinnati Reds said goodbye to Joey Votto - possibly the most beloved Reds player since the days of the Big Red Machine. 

I really admired his old school mentality, passion and desire to win.  He would have fit in very well with Sparky, Johnny, Pete and the rest of the gang.  :thumbsup:  

1297746703577_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=90&si

Joey Votto is a baseball treasure -- a total goofball, but with a fiery temper. And a good ballplayer. I always thought of him as the NL version of Adrian Beltre.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Joey Votto is a baseball treasure -- a total goofball, but with a fiery temper. And a good ballplayer. I always thought of him as the NL version of Adrian Beltre.

I think Votto would be OK with people touching his head though.

I'll miss the guy, he was hilarious.  I won't miss him being in the Reds lineup though.  He was a Cub killer.

• Like 2

Former Brewers manager Craig Counsell signs with THE CUBS....$40 million over 5 years.

im-gonna-go-itwplm.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Former Brewers manager Craig Counsell signs with THE CUBS....$40 million over 5 years.

im-gonna-go-itwplm.jpg

Not sure what's better, the addition by addition or the addition by subtraction.

But...IT'S ALL GOOD!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Not sure what's better, the addition by addition or the addition by subtraction.

It's fuzzy math, if you ask me..... :blink:  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Hours after his dirty deed, Counsell is named a finalist for NL Manager of The Year.  I hope he loses to Snitker again....   :laugh:

9 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Hours after his dirty deed, Counsell is named a finalist for NL Manager of The Year.  I hope he loses to Snitker again....   :laugh:

Hadn't he already interviewed for the Mets job? Why did he want out of Milwaukee so badly? They're a model franchise from where I'm sitting.

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Hadn't he already interviewed for the Mets job? Why did he want out of Milwaukee so badly? They're a model franchise from where I'm sitting.

Counsell talked to the Mets and Cleveland.  Everyone here in Brewer Land assumed that he would either stay with the Brewers or sign with the Mets. 

No one knew anything about the Cubs talking to him.  The Cubs may have made a last-minute decision to go after him.  

The Brewers offered Counsell $5.5 million a year in a new contract.  It would have been the biggest contract ever for a manager. 

The Cubs topped that deal by $2.5 million a year.  That's HUGE. 

All we can do is speculate about why Counsell left. 

It may have been because of the Brewers' inability (or unwillingness) to sign top-level players and be a true World Series contender.  

Counsell may have wanted to take on a new challenge.  It could have simply been the record-shattering $8 million per year that the Cubs offered.         

• Like 2

At least one local isn't too happy with Whitefish Bay native Craig Counsell.  

QBDJQUL.jpg

• Haha 2

Ironic that a former manager of the new champs is managing my team now.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/angels-hire-ron-washington-as-manager.html

On paper, this looks better than our previous one but it don't mean anything if Arte is still treating this team as AAA with Mike Trout.  Maddon couldn't improve after Cubs and Rays.  What makes me think Ron's success with Atlanta and Texas could do the same with the worst owner right now?

• Like 1

Draft lottery today:

The Royals can draft no worse that sixth, so of course they get sixth.

The Cardinals best possible pick is seventh, so they get seventh!

And there, my friends, you have the history of professional baseball in Missouri over the last fifty years.

Btw, the Guardians get #1.

20 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

$700 million for ten years.

No athlete is worth that. Not even a unicorn like Ohtani. I actually think it's irresponsible to give out a contract like that.

Especially after that Tommy John surgery he recently had.

Speaking of not worth that much, they still haven’t gotten rid of Rendon and the sooner the better.

Edited by invisible airwave

On 12/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

$700 million for ten years.

No athlete is worth that. Not even a unicorn like Ohtani. I actually think it's irresponsible to give out a contract like that.

So I need a TRF numbers guru to explain this to me:

I keep reading it's not really $700 million because the owners and the MLBPA are using 4.46% as the "discount rate" (to pre-empt inflation?) and the annual average value of the contract is "really" about $46 million ($44 million + the $2 million per annum salary), making it a much more reasonable (!) $460/10 year deal.

Most of the money ($680 million) is deferred for the length of the contract, so he'll get paid $2 million/yr for ten years and then the $68 million/yr for ten years after that.

If the Dodgers are, in fact, going to pay him $700 million dollars, then only having to count $460 million for competitive balance purposes is some super shady shit, but are they, in fact, paying him the 700 (very) large?

When I read summaries of it, they (like this one) seem to say two contradictory things (yes, 700; no, it's not really that much).

Any help?

• Like 1

According to this article from Fan Graphs, this contract is both of the two things:

The Dodgers will actually pay 700 million over twenty years (ten of two million and ten of 68 million), but MLB will only count 460 million (46 million per year) toward the CBT.

That, friends, is some bullshit.

I get that the players would not want a salary cap or caps on deferred money, but why should the richest clubs get what is effectively a tax dodge (no pun intended)? Bring me NFL-style revenue sharing, please . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

According to this article from Fan Graphs, this contract is both of the two things:

The Dodgers will actually pay 700 million over twenty years (ten of two million and ten of 68 million), but MLB will only count 460 million (46 million per year) toward the CBT.

That, friends, is some bullshit.

I get that the players would not want a salary cap or caps on deferred money, but why should the richest clubs get what is effectively a tax dodge (no pun intended)? Bring me NFL-style revenue sharing, please . . .

His 10th year will be the 2nd to last for Mr. First of July.

On 12/13/2023 at 6:13 AM, Nova Carmina said:

So I need a TRF numbers guru to explain this to me:

I keep reading it's not really $700 million because the owners and the MLBPA are using 4.46% as the "discount rate" (to pre-empt inflation?) and the annual average value of the contract is "really" about $46 million ($44 million + the $2 million per annum salary), making it a much more reasonable (!) $460/10 year deal.

Most of the money ($680 million) is deferred for the length of the contract, so he'll get paid $2 million/yr for ten years and then the $68 million/yr for ten years after that.

If the Dodgers are, in fact, going to pay him $700 million dollars, then only having to count $460 million for competitive balance purposes is some super shady shit, but are they, in fact, paying him the 700 (very) large?

When I read summaries of it, they (like this one) seem to say two contradictory things (yes, 700; no, it's not really that much).

Any help?

"Figures often beguile me," Twain wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

- Twain :tongue:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, goose said:

"Figures often beguile me," Twain wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

- Twain :tongue:

Statistics, like words, can be used to advance lies or truths.  Maybe players, managers, and front offices should stop talking, too.

On 12/15/2023 at 8:13 AM, goose said:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

…..and the 4th and worst kind:  analytics.  

• Haha 1

Amazon's deal with Diamond Sports is just about a done deal.  The bankruptcy court has to finalize everything.    

Amazon Prime will have the rights to stream all 162 games of the Detroit Tigers, the Kansas City Royals, the Miami Marlins, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Tampa Bay Rays.

This Brewer fan is bummed, but if it means no more Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder being the announcers, then I'm HAPPY!   :biggrin:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Amazon's deal with Diamond Sports is just about a done deal.  The bankruptcy court has to finalize everything.    

Amazon Prime will have the rights to stream all 162 games of the Detroit Tigers, the Kansas City Royals, the Miami Marlins, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Tampa Bay Rays.

This Brewer fan is bummed, but if it means no more Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder being the announcers, then I'm HAPPY!   :biggrin:

Maybe . . . 

Diamond-MLB Friday hearing now pushed back indefinitely MLB lawyer: "We are digesting an enormous amount of information…until yesterday we were operating w/the assumption that we were mediating…and nearing conclusion" "All of this came as a surprise, we knew nothing about it"

• The topic was unpinned