Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor Swift- 1989 (Taylor's Version)

I feel this album improves on the originals production a lot. Sounds more ambient, warmer, and again, I prefer her current voice. The new songs are surprisingly strong, they could have been swapped for album tracks and the album could have been even stronger.

There is a lot of superior production here. Style really surprised me. Thought it was already the perfect pop song, but the mix is clearer now and there is some wonderful textures in the music I never noticed before. The intro to Shake It Off is less abrasive, the five new songs are surprisingly dense and rich lyrically. Her vocals somehow sound even MORE playful.

I was really hoping this album would fix the originals issues for me, and the issues I had with that album are mostly production. I always found it a cold, overly produced affair, with songs I loved. Now it is like the songs can breathe and the music really shines here. In fact there are moments where the exuberance almost creates a new song. Blank Space, for example. 

Out Of The Woods is definitely elevated as well. A fan fave that is now likely to become even more popular.

Taylor Swift- Lover 

Now I've heard a really superior sounding 1989, I can happily say I actually think, now time has passed, that Lover is the stronger, better written pop album.

Steven Wilson- The Harmony Codex

This was brilliant. Didn't know what to expect!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This was brilliant. Didn't know what to expect!

one of my album's of the year.

it was a relief cause i hated the album before this, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

one of my album's of the year.

it was a relief cause i hated the album before this, lol

Mick

I finally got to it today, it sounds highly experimental AND commercial. I love that

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

I finally got to it today, it sounds highly experimental AND commercial. I love that

it basically combined all his phases in one album.

and funny thing his said no more guitar.  He tried that in the last album.  it stunk.  So guitars back already, lol

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it basically combined all his phases in one album.

and funny thing his said no more guitar.  He tried that in the last album.  it stunk.  So guitars back already, lol

Mick

At least he tried something different, and it didn't pay off, but at least he knows now

• Like 1

Honestly the new recording is just so much better. I cant stop playing it! I would still rank it behind Red and Lover though.

Dan Fogelberg- The Innocent Age 

Just a magnificent album. It's not even my favourite but it's just a cut above most double albums ever released, and it's a melancholic beauty.

• Like 1

Taylor Swift-1989 taylor's Version.

I will admit i'm suffering from taylor overexpousure.  it's like phil collins was but way more obnoxious cause of the internet.  but i HAD to check this out.

1989 was never my fav but i was intriqued by this one.  First things first that cover is not flattering.

it's Taylor looking like she's in a production of Momma Mia with her best i just ripped a huge fart smile.

anyway how's the music?

lol

I will say straight off the production was more much bass-ier at least it seemed that way. which works for this album. songs like Style, out of the wood, Blank Space, Welcome to New York all really pop in a way they don't on the original.

and as usual the ballads are better with her rich-er voice.......um........i can't really say much else.

i only liked 1 vault track.  Slut! (that's the song i'm not calling her one.  As a matter of fact i only ever go back to the  red vault songs.

And Fearless was the only one that feels better in a re-done form.

so my initially verdict..........OK? nice?

Mick

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-1989 taylor's Version.

I will admit i'm suffering from taylor overexpousure.  it's like phil collins was but way more obnoxious cause of the internet.  but i HAD to check this out.

1989 was never my fav but i was intriqued by this one.  First things first that cover is not flattering.

it's Taylor looking like she's in a production of Momma Mia with her best i just ripped a huge fart smile.

anyway how's the music?

lol

I will say straight off the production was more much bass-ier at least it seemed that way. which works for this album. songs like Style, out of the wood, Blank Space, Welcome to New York all really pop in a way they don't on the original.

and as usual the ballads are better with her rich-er voice.......um........i can't really say much else.

i only liked 1 vault track.  Slut! (that's the song i'm not calling her one.  As a matter of fact i only ever go back to the  red vault songs.

And Fearless was the only one that feels better in a re-done form.

so my initially verdict..........OK? nice?

Mick

I prefer this version of the album, but the Vault tracks? Eh

I agree about over exposure, and yeah I feel the Phil Collins comparison is valid. I feel she can't even sneeze without it making headlines.

Anyway, whilst I prefer the redo of this album, it hasn't elevated this record for me. Its still lesser tier Taylor for me.

I actually play the Speak Now vault tracks more than I ever did Red.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Ooooooooooo me likey way more than I anticipated 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Is it metal enough though?

Not even a lil bit, sadly

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Aha but I can hear metal where many people never can. :wink:

You should play some Kylie Minogue!

• Haha 4

I love the new version of the album itself, I find myself already skipping the new bonus tracks. Considering how much I love the new album tracks, I don't see this as a letdown.

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours 

People call Taylor Swift petty. Go back to the seventies, her whining and pining was part of the norm haha. Still, this album is a major fave of mine, and it takes on new meaning the older I get.

Pearl Jam- Ten 

I played the original version for the first time in ages. I am shocked to say this, I have loved this album for nearly two decades, but I feel the Redux version is my new standard go to! Wow, this really sounded flat after months of listening to the remix version. Still, I adore this record and I had a great time with it.

• Like 2