Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

42 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Dream Theater- Octavarium (just the title track)

I have conflicting thoughts about this album. I dislike the songs that feel like tributes to other bands (that I'm already not huge on), so normally I play this album, get to the title track, and feel worn out by it. 

I've decided to just play the title track in isolation a couple of times the last few days. Oh. My. God. Just gobsmacked I never fully embraced this song before! 

I don't hate this album, but I feel I wrote this song off just because I never gave it proper time to take in. Now? Wow.

It's like the rest of the album is bonus material just for this!

it's my fav DT epic.  II once played it like 4 times in a row, lol

and DT honestly....i don't go them for 20 minute epics but they nailed this one.

Mick

• Like 2

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night.

Gordon Lightfoot

Summer Side of Life (10/10)

Don Quixote (10/10

Old Dan's records (8/10)

Sundown (10/10)

Cold on the Shoulder (9/10)

Summertime Dream (10/10)

Bar none my fav of the 60/70's singer/songwriters.  Just absolutly brilliant singer and writer.

Mick

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's my fav DT epic.  II once played it like 4 times in a row, lol

and DT honestly....i don't go them for 20 minute epics but they nailed this one.

Mick

You've told me for ages but I based my opinion on this album far too much on the U2/Muse wannabes

My bad 

40 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Last night.

Gordon Lightfoot

Summer Side of Life (10/10)

Don Quixote (10/10

Old Dan's records (8/10)

Sundown (10/10)

Cold on the Shoulder (9/10)

Summertime Dream (10/10)

Bar none my fav of the 60/70's singer/songwriters.  Just absolutly brilliant singer and writer.

Mick

Honestly this style of music is likely to increase in domination of my life the next few years 

I'm not sad about it 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Honestly this style of music is likely to increase in domination of my life the next few years 

I'm not sad about it 

i hope so.  Me this style is nostalgic.  this and musicals were really my first memories of music.  this style especially.

i used to just sit in front of the stereo and for hours just pour over the artists that my mom was into.

i've been wanting to share these artists with you since we met. but it is generally not a style that people in their early 20's have an ear for, lol.

so i've been waiting for you to age up:laugh:

Mick

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i hope so.  Me this style is nostalgic.  this and musicals were really my first memories of music.  this style especially.

i used to just sit in front of the stereo and for hours just pour over the artists that my mom was into.

i've been wanting to share these artists with you since we met. but it is generally not a style that people in their early 20's have an ear for, lol.

so i've been waiting for you to age up:laugh:

Mick

We don't have equivalent UK artists I like like your countries. It is special to me to find singer songwriters I adore

Dream Theater-Octavarium (8/10)

Ya know what?  i dunno if i haven't played it in a while but fukk it this was fun.  it's not perfect but....i enjoyed every minute of this. EVEN the ripp-off stuff.  I'm gonna give it time.  could be a one-off but i may have to adjust my ranking, lol.  this was a blast.

The title track is the best epic they've done and if ya say not.  well enjoy being wrong.  There is not one single second of it i felt didn't belong.  the flow was perfect.

Mick

• Like 3

On 10/29/2023 at 6:37 AM, Segue Myles said:

Taking Back Sunday- 152

Oh gosh, this is easily their best work since 2006's Louder Now!! What a bloody wonderful surprise!

I agree! I like those other four, but they honestly don't come close.

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift 1989 (8/10)

Original.  i really in the grand scheme have next to zero use for the TV'S

Mick

Far from my fave of hers anyway. I'm actually shocked how much I dislike the Vault tracks. 

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Far from my fave of hers anyway. I'm actually shocked how much I dislike the Vault tracks. 

and those come after she did said 1989 would be the ultimate TV ('scuse me while i laugh)

Anyway i like the album but it is WAY too mythologized at this point.

Mick

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

and those come after she did said 1989 would be the ultimate TV ('scuse me while i laugh)

Anyway i like the album but it is WAY too mythologized at this point.

Mick

I feel album itself has really had a good makeover on the mix front. However, I felt the Vault tracks feel more like bad Midnights leftovers. I wish she had tried to actually capture that eras feel.

• Like 1

Dream Theater- Octavarium (just the title track)

Yeah, I really don't mind skipping over the rest of the album, even the songs I like, just for this gem. 

Gosh I wish I'd listened to alone like this sooner!

• Like 1

unlike Segue i'm having a real fun time with this one as a whole.  what i thought a slog has been RIDICULOUSLY fun for me lately.  is a masterpiece no but i had more fun with this than Awake. Which WAS a bit of a slog for me,

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

42 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

unlike Segue i'm having a real fun time with this one as a whole.  what i thought a slog has been RIDICULOUSLY fun for me lately.  is a masterpiece no but i had more fun with this than Awake. Which WAS a bit of a slog for me,

Mick

The album as a whole isn't bad. I just find by the time the shorter songs are done, I really don't want to sit through an epic. However I do now enjoy that epic by itself! 

• Like 1