Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Machine Head- Thriugh The Ashes Of Empires

It's not quite on the level of The Blackening, but this remains a phenomenal return to form for the band. Gosh, it's so easy to forget how well reviewed this album was, and how much the fans loved it, due to how much the following album eclipsed it. But it remains one of their shining moments.

• Like 2

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Machine Head- The Blackening

This is just such a brilliant album to me. I have really taken to it more than ever the last couple of years, and I'd rank it as maybe the greatest metal album of the 2000s. Rivalled by Mastodon's Leviathan and Lamb Of God's Sacrament for me, though this album rips me apart every single time. f***ing hell I've listened to this album since it came out and I just keep on loving it MORE!

• Like 1

Machine Head- Bloodstones And Diamonds

In all honesty I have days I love this more than The Blackening

• Like 1

Blink-182 - One More Time…

Eh. I mean. It’s fine. I might really get into it if it weren’t for the production just being hot garbage.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Blink-182 - One More Time…

Eh. I mean. It’s fine. I might really get into it if it weren’t for the production just being hot garbage.

I've never liked this band beyond singles. I've tried!!! 

Kylie Minogue- Tension

She's in her fifties, and her pop is as shiny, exuberant and enjoyable as ever. 

8 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've never liked this band beyond singles. I've tried!!! 

Well this wouldn’t be the record to get you into them. Of the records I’ve heard, your best bet would be the self titled from 2003.

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I enjoy this album too, but I feel after ANATO, BG have not released anything quite so amazing as what came before.

I actually felt last years The God Machine was a bit of a letdown, but it was universally acclaimed and treated as a return to form. I thought it sounded like a bunch of demos with lacklustre production, and it felt very samey.

But I enjoyed this album a lot!

I really didn't see much that was memorable off that one. Beyond the Red Mirror was much more  ambitious to my ears.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I really didn't see much that was memorable off that one. Beyond the Red Mirror was much more  ambitious to my ears.

Definitely agree. The God Machine is my second least favourite BG album, after Twist In The Myth

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well this wouldn’t be the record to get you into them. Of the records I’ve heard, your best bet would be the self titled from 2003.

I like them btw, I meant to say I never "loved" them. 

• Like 2

Kylie Minogue- Disco

I have a huge soft spot for this woman. She's just a pure joy of a person with ridiculously cheesy music that just exists to liven the mood.

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I like them btw, I meant to say I never "loved" them. 

Fair enough. My rec still stands if you ever want to try loving them again.

• Like 1

Gordon Lighfoot-Summertime Dream (10/10)

i have memories of my mom cooking dinner with this man in the background.  His music makes me remember warm summer days in the 90's without a care in the world. 

Mick

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Fair enough. My rec still stands if you ever want to try loving them again.

I shall likely try them again. They are never "bad" to my ears, just unlike Green Day, they never found a way to suck me in.

Never say never!

I like Angels And Airwaves though 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I shall likely try them again. They are never "bad" to my ears, just unlike Green Day, they never found a way to suck me in.

Never say never!

I like Angels And Airwaves though 

I will say I definitely do like Green Day more. A little bit of that is because I found GD much earlier, but the rest is really just taste. That self titled thought is a mall emo masterpiece. Not on par with The Black Parade, but it can go toe to toe with anything from FOB for example.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I will say I definitely do like Green Day more. A little bit of that is because I found GD much earlier, but the rest is really just taste. That self titled thought is a mall emo masterpiece. Not on par with The Black Parade, but it can go toe to toe with anything from FOB for example.

I think our tastes in emo are miles apart lol...I'm definitely more into the genre as it began in the nineties 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

AFI - All Hallows EP

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

You should treat yourself to Louder Now

That album was MASSIVE in 2006, and is all but forgotten now

• Like 2

Just now, Segue Myles said:

You should treat yourself to Louder Now

That album was MASSIVE in 2006, and is all but forgotten now

I did! When you first recommended it to me a few weeks ago I listened to it that very day!

lol, I’ll play it again next to appease, and also cuz it’s awesome and I want to hear it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I think our tastes in emo are miles apart lol...I'm definitely more into the genre as it began in the nineties 

I’ll get there, working my way into that period slowly. Any records from that period in particular you’d recommend? I’m already familiar with SDRE’s Diary, American Football’s s/t, and of course JEW’s Clarity. Also idk if it counts but I’ve got a few Fugazi records as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ll get there, working my way into that period slowly. Any records from that period in particular you’d recommend? I’m already familiar with SDRE’s Diary, American Football’s s/t, and of course JEW’s Clarity. Also idk if it counts but I’ve got a few Fugazi records as well.

Texas Is The Reason- Do You Know Who You Are?

The Juliana Theory- Understand This Is A Dream and Emotion Is Dead (your taste in emo really started here)

Brand New- Deja Entendu

Thrice- Vheissu (not emo but can totally sit alongside the classics)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Texas Is The Reason- Do You Know Who You Are?

The Juliana Theory- Understand This Is A Dream and Emotion Is Dead (your taste in emo really started here)

Brand New- Deja Entendu

Thrice- Vheissu (not emo but can totally sit alongside the classics)

Cool! I’ll keep my eye out for deals on these and also check if they’re on Bandcamp.

I have The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me from Brand New, which I like a lot, but don’t really listen to a ton because folks in my local scene are pretty hardline about not listening to Brand New anymore after what came out about their singer… and frankly I feel very conflicted about listening to their music myself, even though I bought that CD second hand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Cool! I’ll keep my eye out for deals on these and also check if they’re on Bandcamp.

I have The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me from Brand New, which I like a lot, but don’t really listen to a ton because folks in my local scene are pretty hardline about not listening to Brand New anymore after what came out about their singer… and frankly I feel very conflicted about listening to their music myself, even though I bought that CD second hand.

What about their singer?

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

What about their singer?

https://pitchfork.com/news/two-alleged-victims-of-brand-news-jesse-lacey-detail-years-of-sexual-exploitation-of-minors/

My understanding is shortly after these allegations were made, he did in fact admit they were true.

• Like 1