Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Taylor Swift-The Tortured Poets Department.

i didn't post my thoughts yesterday so.  She's since released extra tracks to this.  but it's like a different album.  So i'll do that seperate this is for the main album released yesterday at midnight.

For Context before i start.  Swift and i have a rocky road.  I'm a fan but she's released stuff i'd call utter poo poo. and stuff i ADORE.  2023's midnights was a struggle for me.  after she released the Acoustic Folklore/Evermore in pandemic only too follow that up with.....IN MY VIEW.....that's important.....MY VIEW a far inferior collection of beat dropping whining.  Do i still hate it?  no but it's at the bottom of my pile.

So what i was was terrified of this album. BUT what i was greeted with was a surprise.  It is is a breakup album.  but what is here is a somber reflective swift.  Less cutting then past breakup songs and more sad and a bit defeated but there is also an undercurrent of i think maybe i'll be fine in there.  It was a shockingly mature take for a woman who normally lyrically castrates her exes.

Now musically.  it iust feels more organic than her past pop albums.  Live drums and pianos and acoustic and electric guitars are all throughout.  the Main albums Sound is steeped in 80's post rock.  keyboarded drenched and beautifully layered.  I get a huge Phil Collins vibe in NUMEROUS tracks. 

To me this album is one of her most mature albums to date and i couldn't be happier.  Cause a lot of fans may not agree but she was close to stagnating if not there already.  she said she she needed to make this.  and i can't help but feel.....on SOME level.....she felt the rot setting in as well.

this is a stellar album.

Mick

On 4/18/2024 at 8:56 PM, TheAccountant said:

Worked from home today for parts of the day (had to take part off to take mom to a dr.'s appointment) so that gave me another chance to pull out more vinyl while I worked.  First album out:

Historical Anthology of Music - Processional & Ceremonial Music

A collection of works by Giovanni Gabrielle (1557 - 1612).  Enjoyable classical music.  Next out of the box:

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

One of my very favorite works of classical music.  We got this when I was a young child and I listened to it a ton.  Still is excellent.  Next out of the box:

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite

Very enjoyable.  Next out of the box:

Reds - The Soundtrack to the movie

Saw this movie in the theater when it came out in 1981.  I recall it being a long movie - so long it had a break during it.  I was not crazy about it but my parents liked it and may dad loved the music so my mom bought him the soundtrack.  Many years latter they gave it to me.  Its ok.  Nothing I am crazy about though.  Kind of filler for me.  Next out of the box:

Franz Lehr - The Merry Widow

An operetta written in 1905.  This recording was done in 1978.  My parents saw it live when they lived in England in 1958 & 1959.  They both liked it, esp. my dad.  For me though its mostly filler.  Nothing that thrills me.  Next out of the box:

Rodgers & Hammerstein - The Sound of Music

The soundtrack to the movie starring Julie Andrews & Christopher Plummer.  I enjoy the movie and we bought the soundtrack when I was a kid and we listened to it a ton back then.  Still very good.  Next out of the box:

Hymns Triumphant Volume I

A collection of traditional hymns by the London Philharmonic Choir.  Good stuff - I can recall mom singing some of them to me when I was a very little kid and she was putting me to bed- esp. "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow".

Clearly it was classical music day.  Best work?  1812 Overture.

I was reading Calvin and Hobbes today and look what I came across...even  they know : r/lingling40hrs

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-The Tortured Poets Department.

i didn't post my thoughts yesterday so.  She's since released extra tracks to this.  but it's like a different album.  So i'll do that seperate this is for the main album released yesterday at midnight.

For Context before i start.  Swift and i have a rocky road.  I'm a fan but she's released stuff i'd call utter poo poo. and stuff i ADORE.  2023's midnights was a struggle for me.  after she released the Acoustic Folklore/Evermore in pandemic only too follow that up with.....IN MY VIEW.....that's important.....MY VIEW a far inferior collection of beat dropping whining.  Do i still hate it?  no but it's at the bottom of my pile.

So what i was was terrified of this album. BUT what i was greeted with was a surprise.  It is is a breakup album.  but what is here is a somber reflective swift.  Less cutting then past breakup songs and more sad and a bit defeated but there is also an undercurrent of i think maybe i'll be fine in there.  It was a shockingly mature take for a woman who normally lyrically castrates her exes.

Now musically.  it iust feels more organic than her past pop albums.  Live drums and pianos and acoustic and electric guitars are all throughout.  the Main albums Sound is steeped in 80's post rock.  keyboarded drenched and beautifully layered.  I get a huge Phil Collins vibe in NUMEROUS tracks. 

To me this album is one of her most mature albums to date and i couldn't be happier.  Cause a lot of fans may not agree but she was close to stagnating if not there already.  she said she she needed to make this.  and i can't help but feel.....on SOME level.....she felt the rot setting in as well.

this is a stellar album.

Mick

It's getting surprisingly strong reviews, but the mixed ones are surprisingly bitter

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It's getting surprisingly strong reviews, but the mixed ones are surprisingly bitter

I saw one youtube comment that literally said.  i don't know why every album is different.  Stick to a lane bitch.  THAT WAS LITERALLY THE COMMENT!!!!!

i'm like why are you a fan if not to watch someone grow?

Mick

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I saw one youtube comment that literally said.  i don't know why every album is different.  Stick to a lane bitch.  THAT WAS LITERALLY THE COMMENT!!!!!

i'm like why are you a fan if not to watch someone grow?

Mick

Modern pop fans are so used to everything sounding the same they can't handle an artist that shakes things up.

But seriously though, this is why modern pop sucks. Aside from Taylor, too few artists get away with experimentation. Look at Ariana Grande...we've had lime four albums that all sound the same...even she sounds bored.

We need more artists that follow their own path, but I guess record labels today really don't want to support artists through flops.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Modern pop fans are so used to everything sounding the same they can't handle an artist that shakes things up.

But seriously though, this is why modern pop sucks. Aside from Taylor, too few artists get away with experimentation. Look at Ariana Grande...we've had lime four albums that all sound the same...even she sounds bored.

We need more artists that follow their own path, but I guess record labels today really don't want to support artists through flops.

Labels today are more of a joke than they ever have been. And they have always been sketchy.

• Like 2

Moraz And Bruford - Music For Piano And Drums

I had no idea this existed, and it is exactly what you would expect. Far out.

Ornette Coleman - To Whom Who Keeps A Record

Yes.

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum

Totally rad, heavy psychy blues. Definitely not crossed the line into metal yet though. Metal starts with Black Sabbath, end of discussion.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift- The Tortured Poets Department

Still taken aback by just how...morose this is.

Lana Del Rey- Born To Die 

Epica- Requiem For The Indifferent

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter 

Pearl Jam- Gigaton

Wow. Dark Matter is such an instant classic for me, it's actually really helped me get into Gigaton more! 

• Like 2

Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation -  The Mighty Rearranger

Favorite song off this album

• Like 2

Iron Maiden- Senjutsu

Judas Priest- Firepower

Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth 

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

The Gathering- Mandylion

I think playing Taylor Swift to death eventually drives me right back to metal. I needed this 🤣

Also, Black Anima keeps improving for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm falling madly in love with this album.

The production on Midnights was really experimental, but loud and obnoxious. I'm finding it here really experimental and more nuanced, more subtle.

One song that I think is BEAUTIFUL as a sound experience is Fresh Out The Slammer. Loads of little production flourishes and details that create genuine atmosphere. 

If Midnights sounded like a late Summer album, edging into Autumn, Tortured is tired and wintry and close to hibernation.

Also, I'm now at a point the entire album feels riddled with hooks. I think that some of her most ambitious and playful melodic writing is on display here.

Much like The Killers last album, Pressure Machine, or the recent works of Lana Del Rey, Tortured Poets is not the album casual fans wanted. It's an album that I think works best if you're tuned into what Taylor has secretly always been a master at: storytelling. By creating scenes with words and using expertly incorporated production choices, Taylor is letting us listeners peer in like the voyeurs she encourages us to be: you get to listen to her talk about life in a way that allows you to also reflect upon yours. It's disarming at times just how blunt her lyrics are, you think to yourself "that's cringe, that's embarrassing, that's...odd", but it's what she has always been great at. Who said poetry needs to be elevated all the time?

Billionaire or not, I don't think a superstar has ever felt this intimate with her fans. People will laugh at me for this, but her songs cut through to me like few other artists I've ever come across before. Think The Beatles, think Springsteen, think Dylan...I understand her haters, but I'm not one of them. Her success makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't love her if her songs didn't speak for themselves.

• Like 1

Alice In Chains- Dirt

As someone who loves the grunge era, I actually hate lumping these bands under one umbrella term. Alice In Chains is straight up metal. 

And this album is brilliant. I've always found it a hard album to listen too, because it wears its heart on its sleeve, and for that reason...its a very depressing experience. But you know what? It's also compelling, and visceral, and there is beauty here amongst the bleakness.

• Like 2

Alice In Chains- Alice In Chains 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm falling madly in love with this album.

The production on Midnights was really experimental, but loud and obnoxious. I'm finding it here really experimental and more nuanced, more subtle.

One song that I think is BEAUTIFUL as a sound experience is Fresh Out The Slammer. Loads of little production flourishes and details that create genuine atmosphere. 

If Midnights sounded like a late Summer album, edging into Autumn, Tortured is tired and wintry and close to hibernation.

Also, I'm now at a point the entire album feels riddled with hooks. I think that some of her most ambitious and playful melodic writing is on display here.

Much like The Killers last album, Pressure Machine, or the recent works of Lana Del Rey, Tortured Poets is not the album casual fans wanted. It's an album that I think works best if you're tuned into what Taylor has secretly always been a master at: storytelling. By creating scenes with words and using expertly incorporated production choices, Taylor is letting us listeners peer in like the voyeurs she encourages us to be: you get to listen to her talk about life in a way that allows you to also reflect upon yours. It's disarming at times just how blunt her lyrics are, you think to yourself "that's cringe, that's embarrassing, that's...odd", but it's what she has always been great at. Who said poetry needs to be elevated all the time?

Billionaire or not, I don't think a superstar has ever felt this intimate with her fans. People will laugh at me for this, but her songs cut through to me like few other artists I've ever come across before. Think The Beatles, think Springsteen, think Dylan...I understand her haters, but I'm not one of them. Her success makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't love her if her songs didn't speak for themselves.

After some consideration I’ve actually decided to hold off listening to this for a while. Not because I expect it to disappoint me in any way, just because it sounds like a really heavy emotional experience from everything I’m hearing about it, and I really need to avoid that for a while.  Trying to keep to music that comforts and brightens me for a while. But I’m excited for when I am ready for it.

• Like 1

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkaXktbWFnYXppbmUiLCJrZXki

Another Sky - Beach Day

This record is giving me life.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

After some consideration I’ve actually decided to hold off listening to this for a while. Not because I expect it to disappoint me in any way, just because it sounds like a really heavy emotional experience from everything I’m hearing about it, and I really need to avoid that for a while.  Trying to keep to music that comforts and brightens me for a while. But I’m excited for when I am ready for it.

It's an odd album, you want to know how it comes across? As listening to a friend talk, not so much an inside out cathartic experience.

It isn't depressing, it's more of a "oh, you feel that way too?" sort of vibe. It's a rather unusual experience. It feels like she vented, but if you are immersed in the "lore" of Taylor, it comes off almost conversational.

I'm not sure we have ever truly had an artist like her before in the highest echelons of the mainstream. You can tell she grew up on emo, I can tell you that.

• Like 1

Dark Matter - Pearl Jam ❤️❤️

I still need to listen to part 2 of The Tortured Poets Department. I listened to the first part on Friday.

21 minutes ago, Leanne said:

Dark Matter - Pearl Jam ❤️❤️

I still need to listen to part 2 of The Tortured Poets Department. I listened to the first part on Friday.

I'm letting the album itself sink in. However, I enjoyed the second part when I gave it a chance.

• Like 1