Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the 6th:

Arm’s Length - What’s Mine Is Yours (EP)

Arm’s Length - Everything Nice (EP)

Arm’s Length - Never Before Seen, Never Again Found

Ben Quad - Hand Signals (EP)

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry (Vinyl)

Carly Cosgrove - The Whole Enchilada (Vinyl)

Belmont - Aftermath (Vinyl)

Belmont - Liminal (Vinyl)

Ben Quad - I’m Scared That’s All There Is

Ben Quad - Hand Signals (EP)

Saturdays At Your Place - Something Worth Celebrating

Saturdays At Your Place - Always Cloudy

Blue Öyster Cult - Ghost Stories

Belmont - Liminal

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny

• Like 2

Alter Bridge- ABIII.5

The three bonus tracks are fantastic. Just love this of Alter Bridge. I'd put this album up against the best of Soundgarden for SOARING rock brilliance.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Toto-Mindfeilds (6/10)

Mick

No matter how much praise I give this album, I can't deny that if I don't skip High Price Of Hate, the album flow is so disrupted I switch off.

Normally I embrace albums I enjoy start to finish, and the skips grow on me. This is one album I had to edit for my playlist/burn my tracklist off on CD.

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

No matter how much praise I give this album, I can't deny that if I don't skip High Price Of Hate, the album flow is so disrupted I switch off.

Normally I embrace albums I enjoy start to finish, and the skips grow on me. This is one album I had to edit for my playlist/burn my tracklist off on CD.

yea but it's not just that song for me.  i find this album incredibly generic.  You know that's a criticism of Toto in general people have that they're faceles and generic.  i think this album just gives into that tenfold.  so many tracks here are rockers and ballads any ol artist could have  done. also i can't handle bobby Kimble on this album AT ALL.  every song has the same adlib........HEY--YEA----YEA!!!!!!!!! or OH-OH-YEA!!!!!

shut up dude!!!!!

not a great record.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea but it's not just that song for me.  i find this album incredibly generic.  You know that's a criticism of Toto in general people have that they're faceles and generic.  i think this album just gives into that tenfold.  so many tracks here are rockers and ballads any ol artist could have  done. also i can't handle bobby Kimble on this album AT ALL.  every song has the same adlib........HEY--YEA----YEA!!!!!!!!! or OH-OH-YEA!!!!!

shut up dude!!!!!

not a great record.

Mick

I love this album, but yes, it is generic. 

Lately I've been spinning Kingdom Of Desire a lot. That one has really grown on me.

• Like 1

Lana Del Rey- Born To Die

Lana Del Rey- Ultraviolence

In all honesty, I'm shocked I am not already a die hard fan. I've revised my opinions on her first two albums, I underrated them upon release. I am in awe. Beautiful, stylish, and highly creative, this is an artist who knows how to explore her muse through retro sounds without sounding contrived or trend chasing.

Taylor Swift might be toppled yet.

Lana Del Rey- Lust For Life

Taylor Swift- Midnights

• Like 1

Worked from home again today so that gave me another chance to open up the moving box.  First vinyl out:

The Firm  - Mean Business

Of the 2 albums The Firm did I like this one slightly more.  It has the best song The Firm did ("All The Kings Horses") plus it just feel more complete as an album.  Other than All The Kings Horses (which is a good song) the album does not have anything that really stands out however.  Next out of the box:

Waysted - Save Your Prayers

Pete Way of UFO was the big name in this group and as far as I know its the only album the group ever did.  Its certainly the only album by them I have.  Side 1 is rather enjoyable - I don't skip anything on it.  Nothing that is really awesome but I enjoy all the songs.  Side 2 has "Heaven Tonight" which I recall getting some airplay and which I think is the best song on the record.  The next song ("How The West Was Won") is decent as well - about on par with the material on side 1.  The rest of side 2 stinks IMO.  Still, with all of side 1 being decent and 2 good songs on side 2 its enjoyable to listen that material at least.  Note - I got to see this group live on my 21'st birthday in 1987 when I saw them opening for Iron Maiden on the Somewhere In Time tour in Rochester NY.  Weirdly, I enjoyed this group more.  I think it was something to do with the sound system.  It was an indoor show and the volume was turned up so much for Maiden I could not really enjoy their songs.  Anyway, next out of the box:

Yes - Relayer

Yes in 1974 with Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire etc.  Side 1 is 21:55 in length and its one song.  Side 2 has only 2 songs and they are both over 9 minutes in length.  Major prog rock going on here.  Enjoyable.  Next out of the box:

The Beers Family - Introducing The Beers Family

This was followed by:

The Beers Family - Dumbartons Drums

So who (or what) is this group you may be asking.  They were part of the folk music revival in the 1960's and 1970's.  A 3 piece band (husband, his wife and their daughter).  The parents were from Wisconsin & Montana - how they met I have no idea but they married in 1943.  I also know the band basically came to an end in the late 1970's when the hubby was killed in a car crash.  After that his widow and daughter no longer toured or recorded.  I don't know when the albums were recorded but the notes mention a festival they played at for the first time when the daughter was in her early teens in 1966 - so it was clearly a few years after that.  I recall I saw them in concert (my parents took me) in the early 1970's - I would guess 1971 or 1972.  Good fun time out doors listening to traditional folk music when I was 5 or 6.

They make some comments in the notes on the albums about commercialized country music - its clear they don't like it and I totally agree.  But folk music is another kettle of fish.  I enjoy that.  Here you get all kinds of fiddle's, banjo's, dulcimer's an other traditional instruments.  In the liner notes the hubby explains that he started to play the fiddle when he was about 7 years old - so that would be what, 1930 or so?  One of the songs they play on the albums he learned the summer he first started to play the fiddle was taught to him by a guy who was 97 years old at that point and that guy told the hubby that he learned it when he was about 7 years old and also first starting to fiddle.  So, if you do the math, that would mean he learned it about 1840.  He had learned it from his father who had learned it from his father.  So now you are talking about a song that had not been written down but just passed down since at least 1820 or so - likely earlier.  Talk about the power of family / oral traditions!!!  Yes, I have a real soft spot in my heart for these 2 albums. Next out of the box:

Historical Anthology of Music - The Virtuoso Guitar

A collection of classical music including the Concerto in A Major for Guitar and Strings by Vivaldi and the Concerto in C Major for Guitar and Strings - also by Vivaldi.  Good stuff.  Last out of the box:

Historical Anthology of Music - William Boyce: The 8 Symphonies

Symphonies 1 - 8 by William Boyce (in English composer who lived 1710 - 1779).  Good stuff.

The best stuff was clearly the classical / folk music today.  Obviously I liked the Beers Family the most but all the classical  / folk music was good.

• Like 1

Monday and Tuesday: 
Honey Revenge - Retrovision

Keep Flying - Daylight (EP) (Vinyl)

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Scene Queen - BIMBOCORE, VOL. 2 (EP)

Scene Queen - Bimbocore (EP)

Judas Priest - Stained Class

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

Judas Priest - British Steel (Vinyl)

• Like 4

yesterday

Weezer - Weezer (Green Album)

U2 - War

Ornette Coleman - This Is Our Music

Gabriel Aplin - Phosphorescent

Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

yesterday

U2 - War

Me and Gabriel Aplin share mutual friends. She's really sweet in real life! Was awesome seeing her blow up in fame 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Me and Gabriel Aplin share mutual friends. She's really sweet in real life! Was awesome seeing her blow up in fame 

Woah wow! I just stumbled on the album she put out last year at the start of the year and it’s meant quite a lot to me! So cool that you have that connection :)

• Like 1

Beyonce

Self Titled (9/10)

Renaissance (6/10)

Cowboy Carter (8/10)

I've been dipping into her more.  it's easy to call this woman crazy egotistical and pandering.  all of which are valid.  but THERE is a serious artist and artistry to her that i do see.

Self titled was my fav so far.  it was very prince like. hyper sexual sensual r nb and i LOVED it.

Cowboy carter  is her "country" foray.  Segue just to illustrate......HATES THIS.  we talked and he was comically dismissive.  but i understand.

i however was wholly charmed and won over from note one:laugh: unironically so.

it's not perfect.  but it's one of my fav listens of the year so far.

Renaissance was ok. not great.  there are some really great 70's retro moments but it's bogged down by too much fluff.

Mick

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

yesterday

U2 - War

I have to give the Alpin album another spin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Beyonce

Self Titled (9/10)

Renaissance (6/10)

Cowboy Carter (8/10)

I've been dipping into her more.  it's easy to call this woman crazy egotistical and pandering.  all of which are valid.  but THERE is a serious artist and artistry to her that i do see.

Self titled was my fav so far.  it was very prince like. hyper sexual sensual r nb and i LOVED it.

Cowboy carter  is her "country" foray.  Segue just to illustrate......HATES THIS.  we talked and he was comically dismissive.  but i understand.

i however was wholly charmed and won over from note one:laugh: unironically so.

it's not perfect.  but it's one of my fav listens of the year so far.

Renaissance was ok. not great.  there are some really great 70's retro moments but it's bogged down by too much fluff.

Mick

The way you ignore Lemonade has my piss fizzing.

• Haha 2