Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

The official music video is also great, but I just think the lyrics video impacts differently. The full version is really complete. Paints an entire scene in your mind

She’s so good at that. I’m trying very hard to get that level of clarity in one of my latest songs, and I’m really seeing for the first time how much easier it can be to dress something up in metaphor and flowery language than just to say it like it is and still have it cut.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

She’s so good at that. I’m trying very hard to get that level of clarity in one of my latest songs, and I’m really seeing for the first time how much easier it can be to dress something up in metaphor and flowery language than just to say it like it is and still have it cut.

Maybe start from her debut then? Listen to her grow. Her debut came out when she was 16 and her songwriting was...less sharp but so close to brilliance. 

• Like 1

Maybe start from her debut then? Listen to her grow. Her debut came out when she was 16 and her songwriting was...less sharp but so close to brilliance. 

Would you recommend that next over, what was it you recommended me next last week… folklore? 1989 TV?

EDIT: it was reputation

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Would you recommend that next over, what was it you recommended me next last week… folklore? 1989 TV?

EDIT: it was reputation

Honestly? Yes. The debut, Fearless (Taylors Version if you prefer her modern voice) and then a relisten of Speak Now

Because I'm weirdly nervous about you and 1989. That album...took an entire re-recording to win me over.

Also, the debut and Fearless have many of her finest songs.

She was a schoolkid and wrote Teardrops On My Guitar and Picture To Burn. Like...woe

Also I love Reputation but my god its a massive leap. It is kinda like if Rush followed their debut with Power Windows.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Honestly? Yes. The debut, Fearless (Taylors Version if you prefer her modern voice) and then a relisten of Speak Now

Because I'm weirdly nervous about you and 1989. That album...took an entire re-recording to win me over.

Also, the debut and Fearless have many of her finest songs.

She was a schoolkid and wrote Teardrops On My Guitar and Picture To Burn. Like...woe

Also I love Reputation but my god its a massive leap. It is kinda like if Rush followed their debut with Power Windows.

Debut it is. Yeah I was a little surprised you were sending me towards Reputation so quick, but I trust your judgement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Debut it is. Yeah I was a little surprised you were sending me towards Reputation so quick, but I trust your judgement.

Thing is I love Reputation. I'm about the same age as her, had followed her career since album two, was going through a lot (my family shunned me around the time her album about being maligned by the entire world came out), so the anger in the album worked. And she went into a very electronic direction that felt, for her, so rebellious and put there and it all just worked.

Without the context of why I love it, I'm not sire you're ready.

But to start at the beginning makes sense. Hear the evolution and move forward.

It would be like someone saying "hey! Tey Rush, Valor Trails and Movong Pictures" all in one sitting.

• Like 1

Thing is I love Reputation. I'm about the same age as her, had followed her career since album two, was going through a lot (my family shunned me around the time her album about being maligned by the entire world came out), so the anger in the album worked. And she went into a very electronic direction that felt, for her, so rebellious and put there and it all just worked.

Without the context of why I love it, I'm not sire you're ready.

But to start at the beginning makes sense. Hear the evolution and move forward.

It would be like someone saying "hey! Tey Rush, Valor Trails and Movong Pictures" all in one sitting.

Oof yeah, that would be whiplash for sure.

That makes sense. I think the way her career has gone (not really her fault either) people kind of turn away from her unless they find a reason in their own life to turn to her.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oof yeah, that would be whiplash for sure.

That makes sense. I think the way her career has gone (not really her fault either) people kind of turn away from her unless they find a reason in their own life to turn to her.

Reputation is her Bad. She followed up a pop album that dominated the world with an album that dealt with the backlash.

Reputation also starts confrontational and ends super chill and relaxed. It's a journey.

And Look What You Made Me Do is the PERFECT mission statement. It comes off trite, shoddy, and messy. And then you realise, it is on purpose. And at the centre of the album, it makes sense. It's a moment of Delirium. Either side of that madness you find rebellion and anger and hurt, and then afterwards comes hopeful romanticism and forward thinking steps to happiness 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Reputation is her Bad. She followed up a pop album that dominated the world with an album that dealt with the backlash.

Reputation also starts confrontational and ends super chill and relaxed. It's a journey.

And Look What You Made Me Do is the PERFECT mission statement. It comes off trite, shoddy, and messy. And then you realise, it is on purpose. And at the centre of the album, it makes sense. It's a moment of Delirium. Either side of that madness you find rebellion and anger and hurt, and then afterwards comes hopeful romanticism and forward thinking steps to happiness 

I look forward to the journey when I get there.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I look forward to the journey when I get there.

It may work with time. I know Mick has never fully over it, and at the time I often felt like the only fan of it. These days? It's a huge fan fave. 

She was just in such a hurt and pained mindset, the genre switching and anger took a toll, and the songs that evoked her past are only to be found in the second half.

Though Delicate ranks as one of her two bestove songs, alongside Begin Again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah KoL was my first thought with that one, which is a really cool sound for her to take on and one that has come to mean a world to me.

State Of Grace is my favorite song of hers

• Like 2

Worked from home today so that gave me a chance to open up the moving box's again and listen to whatever came out.  First out:

Bad Company - Dangerous Age

This album had no big hits and only one song that I recall getting airplay of any kind ("No Smoke Without A Fire").  I saw Bad Co. twice on the following tour and I recall them playing it live - and it was enjoyable.  As for the album, I like it.  Other than the one song I mentioned I could not tell you the title of a song on the album but, weirdly, anytime I listen to the album I never skip a song.  For me its one of those albums that is just a lot more than the sum of its parts.  Everything just fits together and once you start listening you just want to listen to the entire album.  Or at least I do.  Next out of the box:

Iron Maiden - World Piece Tour 83

What is this you ask?  Its a Maiden boot that was recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon on May 26th, 1983.  The quality is a bit rough but its still enjoyable.  Good set list.  Its comprised of the following:

Where Eagles Dare

Wrathchild

The Trooper

Sanctuary

Flight of Icarus

Iron Maiden

22 Acaitia Ave.

Run To The Hills

Revalations

Die With Your Boots On

Still Life

The # of the Beast

Sanctuary

Next out of the box:

Iron Maiden - Donington Park

Yes, this is another Maiden boot, recorded at Donington Park on August 20th, 1988.  Good quality recording.  Might have been off the board or from a BBC feed.  Good set list agin.  Its comprised of the following:

Moonchild

The Evil That Men Do

The Prisoner

Wrathchild

Infinite Dreams

The Trooper

Can I Play With Madness

Heaven Can Wait

Wasted Years

The Clairvoyant

7th Son of a 7th Son

The # of the Best

Hallowed Be Th Name

Iron Maiden

Run To The Hills

22 Acacia Ave

2 Minutes To Midnight

Runing Free

Sanctuary

Last out of the box:

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell

Good album, esp. side 1.

• Like 2

Phylis Hyman-Living All Alone (10/10)

One of the most criminally unsung Rn B heroes ever.  not among deep  R N B  fans but comercially.....yes.  Discovered her through a documentary 3 years ago. 

Sad life and end but Immensely talented.  Had the potential to be among the 90's diva boom but demons beat her. Thoes other ladies intimidated her and that fed her insecurities sadly. LOVE this woman.

Mick

Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Badfinger - Straight Up (I've somehow never heard this one before today)

Billy Joel - River of Dreams

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Muse-The 2nd Law (8/10)

Mick

I actually think this may be their best production job.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I actually think this may be their best production job.

Madness is Currently playing.  i too noticed how pristine and crisp it sounds.

on headphoines Everything has it's space to breath.

Mick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Mekong Delta - Dances of Death ( and other walking shadows )  Takes me back.  :old:

My favourite thrash metal album ever

• Like 1