Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Magnum ‘ Vigilante ‘  ‘86 (8.4/10)

Produced by Queen’s Roger Taylor

so as you might expect much emphasis on the Drums ! 🙃🤣

• Like 2

Lacuna Coil- Delirium

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

Phwoar! I hadn't played much LC in a while and it's like hearing them again for the first time. Yikes I'm obsessed...

...bit weird as I know them inside out

• Like 1

KillSwitch Engage- The End Of Heartache 

Hasn't aged a day.

• Like 2

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

I have had a disconnect with this album. It came out shortly after my mum passed, the song Layers Of Time spoke to me a little too literally regarding said time period, and I just felt...again that word...disconnected from the band that once provided such melancholic comfort (think Unleashed Memories era).

Well enough time has passed, and like many late 2019 releases from bands i love (and there were a fair few that period), I feel like I'm hearing it afresh.

This is excellent. Sure, I wish the production was clearer (especially after the flawless sounding Delirium), but the songs are uniformly great, and frequently spectacular. 

Now the band members are wading through their fifties, and have worked together for the best part of thirty years, it's inevitable they would have changed.

And I am excited by this album. I really love it, I actually feel I hear an almost garage rock sound beneath all the metal that is really earthy. Cristina Scabbia has a phenomenal voice she continues to explore, and Andrea actually steals the spotlight from her frequently.

I feel I'm coming home listening to Lacuna Coil again, frequently too. They have been with me since I was 14 years old, nearly twenty years now, and I'm just so intoxicated by them still.

I feel I may have more varied tastes, and play plenty of other bands and artists more these days, but they are undoubtedly my all time favourite band. 

• Like 2

In Flames- Come Clarity

I find something about In Flames to be very similar to Lacuna Coil. Both have fan division, split between old and new work. They both confuse the boundaries between metal and pop. Neither show the slightest hesitation to use hooks bigger than most pop artists. And erm...I love them about equally.

Nearly 20 years a fan of both bands, In Flames have never meant more to me than they do today. This album is perhaps my favourite, though I still have some issues with it. 

In Flames- A Sense Of Purpose