Asia Astra (1985) vs. Triumph Sport of Kings (1986)

treeduck

ASIA vs Triumph  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Asia - Astra
    • Triumph - The Sport of Kings

I have to be totally contrary and say, Astra is my least favorite of theirs. I lOVED the debut album.

Hoping to catch them this year with Carl Palmer, though.

I have to be totally contrary and say, Astra is my least favorite of theirs. I lOVED the debut album.

Hoping to catch them this year with Carl Palmer, though.

I think you need to go back and give it a few more listens! :D-13:

after first listen I'm a big fan of Astra. I had to think on this a bit but I'm going with that. I like Sport of Kings, with Triumph being one of my favorite bands, having an album lower down on my list doesn't mean much because I still enjoy the album. But in this case, I'm a fan of Downes' driving and prolific synths and Meyer's intense guitars just a bit more. I love Wetton's vocals, but I love Moore and Emmett just as much. Now if it was Astra vs Surveillance, this would be a much harder choice.
  • Like 2

Is Astra the one with "Go" on it?

It's Triumph for me; that was the first one of theirs I bought when it came out, and while I haven't heard it in a while, I do remember it being in heavy rotation in my boom box for a time.

• Like 1

Play With The Fire is an awesome Triumph song. On a so-so album.

Don't Love Anybody Else but me..... I have more than a feeling that I've heard that riff before.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Don't Love Anybody Else but me..... I have more than a feeling that I've heard that riff before.

I just realized how similar it is to Peace of Mind. It's not the exact same, but they're in the same key, and they're somewhat similar.
  • Like 1

doing a quick runthrough of Sport of Kings earlier and was just thinking about how Play With The Fire is one I'm surprised I forget about so often. And of course you gotta listen to Embrujo first. Any Rik instrumental is worth your time

• Like 1

doing a quick runthrough of Sport of Kings earlier and was just thinking about how Play With The Fire is one I'm surprised I forget about so often. And of course you gotta listen to Embrujo first. Any Rik instrumental is worth your time

This...goes without saying.

• Like 2

I'm actually doing a discography run-through of Asia right now and Astra is my next album. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow...

I love the ASIA catalog when Wetton came back into the band. Amazing underrated prog pop. My favorite from that era is "GRAVITAS."

only music i've heard past Alpha is a few songs from the "Silent Nation" record which I liked (I was bored and it recommended it to me on YouTube), and the Gravitas title track which is also very good (ditto). I'll probably listen to Rare too, despite it being an instrumental album with only Downes and Payne and really shouldn't be an Asia album.

Silent Nation features Guthrie "The Governor" Govan on guitars I enjoy the album!

of the few songs I heard, "Gone Too Far" has quickly become a favorite of mine, he has a killer solo on that song.

If you like the Silent Nation album you might like they album they did after the original ASIA line-up reformed. They carried on with the same style but a new name:

http://expose.org/assets/img/releases/gps-window-to-the-soul-2006.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2q7yvKfyxNc/UOKyQP-QntI/AAAAAAAAZ-k/cs7YjNTWaXE/s1600/GPS+-+Window+to+the+soul_tray+card+back.jpg

• Like 1