choose one  

9 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Jean-Luc Ponty - Imaginary Voyage
    • Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
  2. 2. artist

• Jean-Luc Ponty
    • Bachman-Turner Overdrive

It's hard to imagine 2 more opposite sounds! :lol: But you are right, both got lots of airplay on the stations I listened to in the 70's. But it's kind of very straight forward garage rock vs. something that is very jazzy/kind of proggy. I will have to think on this one. I haven't thought about Imaginary Voyage in ages but it was one of my sister's frequent plays.

OK, I voted for Jean Luc Ponty, just because probably no one else will. :) Maybe treeduck. New Country, from that album, is beautiful. I do like BTO, they have their place, but not much subtlety. Or something.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

This normally would be very difficult to compare. Two very different types of music.

However I have never really listened to Jean Luc Ponty so BTO gets my vote by default.

It's hard to imagine 2 more opposite sounds! :lol: But you are right, both got lots of airplay on the stations I listened to in the 70's. But it's kind of very straight forward garage rock vs. something that is very jazzy/kind of proggy. I will have to think on this one. I haven't thought about Imaginary Voyage in ages but it was one of my sister's frequent plays.

OK, I voted for Jean Luc Ponty, just because probably no one else will. :) Maybe treeduck. New Country, from that album, is beautiful. I do like BTO, they have their place, but not much subtlety. Or something.

I completely agree, JLP is one of my favorites and I never get tired of listening to him. I had to vote since I knew he probably wouldn't get many votes. BTO got a bunch of rotation for a couple of songs but they were kinda meh for me. Jean Luc is still doing some shows even though he is in his 70's. Individual Choice is one of his best albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7yblIEq3A&list=OLAK5uy_nuoM7B3gV3fj6d9JLIf1oPqn6G51_VsnY

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

JLP X 2.

Like both bands, but the electric violin sound was amazing. Never connected JLP to his work with Zappa, only his solo stuff. Saw him after Imaginary Voyage came out, of at all places Detroit's Fisher Theater, which was a venue mainly presenting musicals and plays. Audience seemed a little reserved at first, but around the 3 tune the crowd got into it. All of a sudden people started sparking up, to the dismay of theater security. But once that wave started up, it was on. Ralphie Armstrong was on bass and dazzled the crowd.

• Like 1

JLP X 2.

Like both bands, but the electric violin sound was amazing. Never connected JLP to his work with Zappa, only his solo stuff. Saw him after Imaginary Voyage came out, of at all places Detroit's Fisher Theater, which was a venue mainly presenting musicals and plays. Audience seemed a little reserved at first, but around the 3 tune the crowd got into it. All of a sudden people started sparking up, to the dismay of theater security. But once that wave started up, it was on. Ralphie Armstrong was on bass and dazzled the crowd.

Oh yes, Ralphe Armstrong was a monster on bass. I only saw JLP once at Kingsbury Hall, it was in the early 90's when he was playing a bright blue electric violin. My ex was the one who lent me an album and then I was hooked. I liked the stuff he did with Mahavishnu Orchestra but his solo projects are wonderful. There are so many songs I listen to over and over, I feel like I am flying and transported back to those years when I first heard his music and it was a happy time in my life. This video is one of the coolest things I have ever seen, title track from Individual Choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZm85q6zt6s

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1