• Van Halen (1978)
    • Van Halen II (1979)
    • Women And Children First (1980)
    • Fair Warning (1981)
    • Diver Down (1982)
    • 1984 (1984)
    • 5150 (1986)
    • For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)

5150 is 2nd among Hagar but it's going for that lyric in WCTBL.

And I'm not gonna say which one.

fLjcspB.gif

Only time will tell if we stand the test of time? I actually kinda like that line. Repetitive? Yes, but it has a decent ring to it. Sometimes it's meaningful to state the obvious.

• Like 1

5150 is 2nd among Hagar but it's going for that lyric in WCTBL.

And I'm not gonna say which one.

fLjcspB.gif

Only time will tell if we stand the test of time? I actually kinda like that line. Repetitive? Yes, but it has a decent ring to it. Sometimes it's meaningful to state the obvious.

It works very well rhythmically.
  • Like 2

Some mofo had the balls to vote to eliminate WACF this early.

Wasn't me but I understand it.

I'm a big fan of VH but imo they made imperfect albums after VH1 in that there were always oddball or imperfect tracks on every album in the Roth-era from 2 onwards. Sacrilege you say!

Well I voted for 'Eff' to be eliminated but it's almost as though he Hagar-era, to me, filled up the albums with safer/more boring songs. And that, to me, is in a nutshell the difference between the eras.

Steady, safe and bland versus Crazy, high-speed and off the rails. OK hyperbole maybe but that's the feeling one gets of the differences.

So take WACF, one might say that the 1st three tracks are ones that don't highlight VH at their best. Sacrilege again you say!

Well, one might say that Romeo Delight and In a simple rhyme are by far the best tracks on the album and that the 1st 3 are a bit lazy or experimental or just too kooky to be really representations of VH at their best.

I love the synth in And the Cradle.., I love the lazy simplicity of Everybody wants some and I love the bass-heavy style (Spinal Tap anyone!! ;-) ) of Fools. But for me, they are not VH at their best.

I wouldn't play them to a newbie to show off Van Halen that's for sure. But Everybody Wants Some gets played a lot and in films and it embarrasses me a bit because it's the laziest, albeit one of the more fun, VH track out there.

I know, I know, most of you love those songs.

Well for me, the album switches gears from Romeo until the end. I much prefer the acoustic-then-heavy Whiskey, out of control 'Loss of Control' and In a simple rhyme after Romeo. And heck even the fireside acoustic playing on Could this be Magic is more entertaining then the 1st 3 songs.

So when you try to compare FU..and 5150 (and even OU812 which is my fave Hagar album...yes, I said it!), then if you step back and compare them with the Roth ones then one always has to accommodate for the oddball/experimental stuff in the Roth era that isn't as 'consistent' as the Hagar era.

That's one reason I think some people prefer the Sammy era.

I'm going to have a hard time in my heart voting Sammy stuff over Roth stuff but my head says that on a consistency basis, Sammy albums sometimes win albeit they are usually safer, even blander (in the lesser tracks) at times.

There, I've said it. Do your worst!!

:madra: :finbar: :tongue:

I'm a big fan of VH but imo they made imperfect albums after VH1 in that there were always oddball or imperfect tracks on every album in the Roth-era from 2 onwards. Sacrilege you say!

Well I voted for 'Eff' to be eliminated but it's almost as though he Hagar-era, to me, filled up the albums with safer/more boring songs. And that, to me, is in a nutshell the difference between the eras.

Steady, safe and bland versus Crazy, high-speed and off the rails. OK hyperbole maybe but that's the feeling one gets of the differences.

So take WACF, one might say that the 1st three tracks are ones that don't highlight VH at their best. Sacrilege again you say!

Well, one might say that Romeo Delight and In a simple rhyme are by far the best tracks on the album and that the 1st 3 are a bit lazy or experimental or just too kooky to be really representations of VH at their best.

I love the synth in And the Cradle.., I love the lazy simplicity of Everybody wants some and I love the bass-heavy style (Spinal Tap anyone!! ;-) ) of Fools. But for me, they are not VH at their best.

I wouldn't play them to a newbie to show off Van Halen that's for sure. But Everybody Wants Some gets played a lot and in films and it embarrasses me a bit because it's the laziest, albeit one of the more fun, VH track out there.

Well for me, the album switches gears from Romeo until the end. I much prefer the acoustic-then-heavy Whiskey, out of control 'Loss of Control' and In a simple rhyme after Romeo. And heck even the fireside acoustic playing on Could this be Magic is more entertaining then the 1st 3 songs.

So when you try to compare FU..and 5150 (and even OU812 which is my fave Hagar album...yes, I said it!), then if you step back and compare them with the Roth ones then one always has to accommodate for the oddball/experimental stuff in the Roth era that isn't as 'consistent' as the Hagar era.

I'm going to have a hard time in my heart voting Sammy stuff over Roth stuff but my head says that on a consistency basis, Sammy albums sometimes win albeit they are usually safer, even blander (in the lesser tracks) at times.

You`re a loony! You might even need a new brain :crazy:
  • Like 2

Is that the best you can do?! Pah! Ooops don't tempt them.... :eh:

Well WACF is my absolute fav so there’s that!!

Is that the best you can do?! Pah! Ooops don't tempt them.... :eh:

No, it was just a random Monty Python line :16ton:

Hey, I love it too. I just don't think the 1st 3 tracks are the best, and I love them, but they sometimes get presented as some of their best work. Maybe they're your fave tracks, maybe not.

For me, Eddie in full flight doing what he does 'primarily' best i.e. burning up and down the fretboard, is what I prefer. But I love that fact that he kept things interesting across the albums.

Each one after the 1st has something a bit different in the mix.

Acoustic stuff, different guitar tones and pop-rock on the 2nd, a touch of synth, different song forms and acoustic on WACF, different tapping, slide work and the experimental stuff at the end of Fair Warning, covers on Diver Down (although not Ed's first choice I heard) and then more synth on 1984.

I love that but I think it makes it difficult to present some of the stuff to others or to try and rank them.

Hey, I love it too. I just don't think the 1st 3 tracks are the best, and I love them, but they sometimes get presented as some of their best work. Maybe they're your fave tracks, maybe not.

For me, Eddie in full flight doing what he does 'primarily' best i.e. burning up and down the fretboard, is what I prefer. But I love that fact that he kept things interesting across the albums.

Each one after the 1st has something a bit different in the mix.

Acoustic stuff, different guitar tones and pop-rock on the 2nd, a touch of synth, different song forms and acoustic on WACF, different tapping, slide work and the experimental stuff at the end of Fair Warning, covers on Diver Down (although not Ed's first choice I heard) and then more synth on 1984.

I love that but I think it makes it difficult to present some of the stuff to others or to try and rank them.

And The Cradle Will Rock is absolutely a highlight for me. I had no idea the riff was played on a keyboard until I read about it somewhere and listened closer. It's such a great distorted tone. Plus there's Lee Roth's spoken word bits that just crack me up in the first two songs. Everybody Wants Some isn't their greatest song necessarily, but it does have a heaviness and intensity that they rarely touch anywhere else. They're downright metallic on that one. And I love the chorus of Fools, great song.

• Like 1

iron.jpg?w=980&q=75
  • Like 2

iron.jpg?w=980&q=75

:D