choose one  

4 members have voted

1. 1. album

• The Doobie Brothers - One Step Closer
    • Renaissance - Prologue
  2. 2. band

• The Doobie Brothers
    • Renaissance

Ah yes, a band that ruled the charts against a band that barely had a shot at them. Who shall prevail?

Two very different styles of bands. I expect The Doobies' more direct rock approach will win the vote easily on this forum.

I managed to see them live at an outdoor event a few years back while we were in the States and they were very good indeed!

However, over the years I have been much closer to Renaissance and have most of their albums, so I must give both my votes to them.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Two very different styles of bands. I expect The Doobies' more direct rock approach will win the vote easily on this forum.

I managed to see them live at an outdoor event a few years back while we were in the States and they were very good indeed!

However, over the ears I have been much closer to Renaissance and have most of their albums, so I must give both my votes to them.

• Like 1

By the time The Doobie Brothers recorded One Step Closer, Patrick Simmons was the only original founding member of the band that remained.

Bassist Tiran Porter who was with the band near the beginning also quit before touring the album.

Porter was replaced by Willie Weeks, who did the One Step Closer tour.

All the members who were in The Doobie Brothers also joined one another onstage on the 1982 Farewell Tour.

I like the whole era of The Doobie Brothers where they had evolved from the guitar-boogie sound under original band frontman Tom Johnston to the soulful keyboard-driven AOR sound under Michael McDonald.

It's the same with Van Halen, in that I like both the David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar eras.

Producer Ted Templemen worked with both bands of both eras, which is the connection.

Then of course Michael McDonald co-wrote 'I'll Wait' with all the members of Van Halen.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2