1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything

custom55

If you subscribe to Apple TV. If not, you can watch episode #1 for free,

I watched episode #1 and it was great. A lot of John Lennon, Marvin Gaye, and the politics of the year.

Episode # 2 Stones, Dylan, The Who, etc.

http://youtu.be/7QUSrefGO34

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I am unsure I like the premise of this, as IMO most of the changes that music made in the culture were done by 1971.

Yeah, I would have said that all the significant changes in music were done by the end of the Sixties.

While a good writer could probably make a case for any given year, David Hepworth argues for 1971 in Never A Dull Moment

I read that a couple of years ago. 1971 is notable for how many truly great rock albums were released. Rock and roll was officially dead, and rock, with it's more sophisticated musicianship and more complex songwriting, had taken over. Minimalist, electronics-oriented music was the next big change that was beginning to take place.
  • Like 2

While a good writer could probably make a case for any given year, David Hepworth argues for 1971 in Never A Dull Moment

I read that a couple of years ago. 1971 is notable for how many truly great rock albums were released. Rock and roll was officially dead, and rock, with it's more sophisticated musicianship and more complex songwriting, had taken over. Minimalist, electronics-oriented music was the next big change that was beginning to take place.

Yeah but the majority of all this good stuff was forged in the last part of the sixties. All the prog legends, hard rock super groups, and electronic pioneers like Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Kraftwerk ..... all founded between 1967-69.

Yeah but the majority of all this good stuff was forged in the last part of the sixties. All the prog legends, hard rock super groups, and electronic pioneers like Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Kraftwerk ..... all founded between 1967-69.

Yep. That's why I noted 1971 as a point where those genres and their influence had finally taken over. The focus on music and songcraft made the era of the singer-songwriter possible as well. Edited by goose
  • Like 1