THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.24

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Even Less has always been one of my favorite Porcupine Tree songs but one thing that changed lately is that I now like the full version better than the briefer one (although I really love the outro to the one that made Stupid Dream)

On the morning of 26 June, Theodore Roosevelt got wind of a stockpile of beans on the beach, and marched a squad of men hastily down to investigate. There were, indeed, at least eleven hundred pounds of beans available, so he went into the commissary and demanded the full amount for his regiment. The commissar reached for a book of regulations and showed him that "under sub-section B of section C of article 4, or something like that", beans were available only to officers. Roosevelt had learned enough during his six years as Civil Service Commissioner not to protest this attitude. He merely went outside for a moment, then returned and demanded eleven hundred pounds of beans "for the officer's mess."

Commissar: But your officers cannot eat eleven hundred pounds of beans.

Roosevelt: You don't kno wwhat appetites my officers have.

Commissar: (wavering) I'll have to send the requisition to Washington.

Roosevelt: All right, only give me the beans.

Commissar: I'm afraid they'll take it out of your salary.

Roosevelt: That will be all right, only give me the beans.

So the Rough Riders got their beans, and their requisition went to Washington. "Oh! what a feast we had, and how we enjoyed it!".

On the morning of 26 June, Theodore Roosevelt got wind of a stockpile of beans on the beach, and marched a squad of men hastily down to investigate. There were, indeed, at least eleven hundred pounds of beans available, so he went into the commissary and demanded the full amount for his regiment. The commissar reached for a book of regulations and showed him that "under sub-section B of section C of article 4, or something like that", beans were available only to officers. Roosevelt had learned enough during his six years as Civil Service Commissioner not to protest this attitude. He merely went outside for a moment, then returned and demanded eleven hundred pounds of beans "for the officer's mess."

Commissar: But your officers cannot eat eleven hundred pounds of beans.

Roosevelt: You don't kno wwhat appetites my officers have.

Commissar: (wavering) I'll have to send the requisition to Washington.

Roosevelt: All right, only give me the beans.

Commissar: I'm afraid they'll take it out of your salary.

Roosevelt: That will be all right, only give me the beans.

So the Rough Riders got their beans, and their requisition went to Washington. "Oh! what a feast we had, and how we enjoyed it!".

This is a real passage from The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris.