• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 1 2005, 08:33 AM)
...they make kiss look like  cat.gif

dazed025.gif

tongue.gif

Steven Tyler can do phenomenal things with his voice, and he's one of the top hard rock singers ever. Joe Perry also ranks among the top blues-rock electric guitar players.

Pump was Aerosmith's best album, and Honkin' on Bobo was great after their 15-year sell-out.

I only will listen to their stuff between their first album and "Done with Mirrors". Anything after that doesn't count.

My alltime fave album by Aerosmith though (and the most forgettable by many, unfortunately) is "Rock in a Hard Place" which came out in 1982 and was absent 2 founding members who would later rejoin.

Faves from that album: "Jailbait", "Lightning Strikes", "Bolivian Ragamuffin" and the proggy "Prelude to Joanie" and "Joanie's Butterfly". I bought the album on September 10, 1986 during my senior year.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 1 2005, 02:19 PM)
Pump was Aerosmith's best album,

You are joking I hope.

Comparing Pump to the likes of Toys in the Attic or their eponymous debut is like comparing Bon Jovi to Rush - while the former has some merit in itself, it has nowhere near the heart, soul and sheer class of the latter.

For example, Dream On and Mama Kin or Sweet Emotion and Walk This Way (Run DMWho?) versus Love in an Elevator and FINE - no contest.

Two excellent albums:

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/550/554852.jpghttp://www.lyred.com/covers/aerosmith_-_rocks.jpg

Janie's got a Gun was the only song that ever got my interest.

I've never listened to a whole album full of their stuff though so I can't really say with any certainty that they're not for me, but what I've heard is not my kind of music.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 1 2005, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 1 2005, 08:33 AM)
...they make kiss look like  cat.gif

dazed025.gif

tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

Edited by rickyrob

I love these guys...

I saw them last year at the Clark County Amphitheater (same place I saw Rush), and they were INCREDIBLE. So was Cheap Trick opening.

Steven Tyler's voice has held up exceptionally well considering all the drugs those guys have done for the last 30 years...he sounded EXACTLY like he did in the 70s. The band played great too.

I agree that the 70s stuff on the whole is way better than the 80s and 90s, but don't dismiss that period entirely...there WERE some pretty great songs from those albums...Love in an Elevator, Dude Looks Like a Lady, Rag Doll, F.I.N.E....all classic songs.

Great band.

I'm not dismissing their more recent stuff. I love Permamnent Vacation and Get a Grip, I just don't think this stuff has the sheer class of their earlier output.

From Permanent Vacation onwards, the rough bluesy edge seemed to vanish from their sound leaving a slicker, radio friendly approach.

062802puke_prv.gif

Like Metallica, Aerosmith so shit on their earlier accomplishments that i just can't stand them now. I hate Tyler's vocals anyway. Can't understand him and his lyrics just have to be the dumbest ass shit i've ever heard. He has no respect for the fans, and really... why should he. You all gobbled up shit like Love in an Elevator and Dude Looks Like a Lady.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I love Aerosmith. As with RUSH, I got into them after their first album ... Love their 70s stuff, do not even consider the non Tyler albums and love their late 80s and 90s stuff.

i agree with SMR that their best is the 70s ... Toys in the Attic, Rocks ... etc ... area great. Also, the live album called "live bootleg" is fantastic.

I had all but written them off when they resurrected themselves with pump and later with Get a Grip which has one of my favorite songs from the 90s, "Living on the edge"

Their last album wasn't that good, they may have peaked again ... but I wouldn't count them out yet.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 1 2005, 02:33 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif

Like Metallica, Aerosmith so shit on their earlier accomplishments that i just can't stand them now. I hate Tyler's vocals anyway. Can't understand him and his lyrics just have to be the dumbest ass shit i've ever heard. He has no respect for the fans, and really... why should he. You all gobbled up shit like Love in an Elevator and Dude Looks Like a Lady.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

You may want to invest in a rock and roll sense of humor as a lot of those lyrics are tongue in cheek.

Also, Steven has one of the best Rock voices of all time. Range, power, texture ... etc ... brilliant songwriter, lyricists, arranger, producer, plays all instruments, (not on the albums of course) ... I respect that you may not like him, but you can't deny his talent. And he has one hell of a fine looking daughter!

I seen Areosmith in 82 or somewhere around there. Joe Perry wasn't with them at the time and it was one of the worse concerts I've ever been to. It totally sounded like crap, I couldn't tell which song they were playing sometimes until after about a minute.

I saw them with Joe Perry 2 years ago when Kiss was with them and it was pretty kick ass. I guess what I'm saying is JOE PERRY IS Aerosmith.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 1 2005, 02:55 PM)
I seen Areosmith in 82 or somewhere around there. Joe Perry wasn't with them at the time and it was one of the worse concerts I've ever been to. It totally sounded like crap, I couldn't tell which song they were playing sometimes until after about a minute.

I saw them with Joe Perry 2 years ago when Kiss was with them and it was pretty kick ass. I guess what I'm saying is JOE PERRY IS Aerosmith.
yes.gif

no.gif ... well ... 1/2 no.gif tongue.gif

Joe Perry AND Steven Tyler is Aerosmith.

They others are just a rhythm section.

I saw them a few times when they were all still "using" and it was less than spectacular, but I wasn't exactly in a lucent state at the time either icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 1 2005, 03:55 PM)

I guess what I'm saying is JOE PERRY IS Aerosmith.
yes.gif

Joe Perry is soooooo cool

That concert u brought me to at Jones Beach was GREAT hun!

when Steve and Joe were right in front of us I got chills.

Not only is he a awsume player hes soooo cool looking laugh.gif

Man Id love to see them again this yr unsure.gif

http://www.100xr.com/100_XR/Artists/J/Joe_Perry/Joe_Perry_2004.jpg wub.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 1 2005, 02:55 PM)

yes.gif

no.gif ... well ... 1/2 no.gif tongue.gif

Joe Perry AND Steven Tyler is Aerosmith.

They others are just a rhythm section.

I saw them a few times when they were all still "using" and it was less than spectacular, but I wasn't exactly in a lucent state at the time either icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Yeah I should have gave Steve more credit. He is a big part of their sound and who they are. I read stories about him before he became a singer, he was a drummer and wanted more attention so during a gig he jumped out from behind the drums and started choking the singer on stage LOL. I don't know how true that is but I read it in some rock Mag years ago. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Oct 1 2005, 03:09 PM)

yes.gif

Sounds like a HINT!!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Oct 1 2005, 03:09 PM)

yes.gif

Sounds like a HINT!!!! biggrin.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 1 2005, 02:33 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif

Like Metallica, Aerosmith so shit on their earlier accomplishments that i just can't stand them now.  I hate Tyler's vocals anyway.  Can't understand him and his lyrics just have to be the dumbest ass shit i've ever heard.  He has no respect for the fans, and really... why should he.  You all gobbled up shit like Love in an Elevator and Dude Looks Like a Lady. 

062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif

You may want to invest in a rock and roll sense of humor as a lot of those lyrics are tongue in cheek.

Also, Steven has one of the best Rock voices of all time. Range, power, texture ... etc ... brilliant songwriter, lyricists, arranger, producer, plays all instruments, (not on the albums of course) ... I respect that you may not like him, but you can't deny his talent. And he has one hell of a fine looking daughter!

I do have a r&r sense of humor. It's just not funny. His voice is irritating if anything and yeah... okay, he can play instruments. So can a lot of more talented people that haven't achieved the ungodly success these clowns have. I do agree with the daughters though. trink39.gif

I'm more for the older, rocking Aerosmith rather than the poppy Aerosmith of now. There are a handful of tunes from today that I like (especially from Get a Grip album) but to me Aerosmith is from the first album to Rocks...some real classic stuff....Mind u I haven't heard that Honkin' on bobo album yet....

According to Contents Under Pressure Rush were mistreated by Aerosmith back in the mid '70's when they were touring together and it helped Rush learned how to not to disrespect their opening acts later on when they began getting the headlining gigs...

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 1 2005, 11:10 AM)
I love these guys...

I saw them last year at the Clark County Amphitheater (same place I saw Rush), and they were INCREDIBLE. So was Cheap Trick opening.

Steven Tyler's voice has held up exceptionally well considering all the drugs those guys have done for the last 30 years...he sounded EXACTLY like he did in the 70s. The band played great too.

I agree that the 70s stuff on the whole is way better than the 80s and 90s, but don't dismiss that period entirely...there WERE some pretty great songs from those albums...Love in an Elevator, Dude Looks Like a Lady, Rag Doll, F.I.N.E....all classic songs.

Great band.

Aerosmith have been clean since the late '80's and they make a big deal out of it..so they haven't excactly been doing drugs for the last 30 years as you imply.