Hurricane Irma GO AWAY!!

Crimsonmistymemory

Taking a short break, have one more set of shutters to put up, but they're for the back entry door so I'm leaving that for the very end. Throwing the last of the stuff into the closed utility room, last loads of laundry, and off to Hungry Howie's for Mrs. Bear's favorite survival food, cold pizza.

Back in uni, Hungry Howie's never survived more than 20 minutes at Casa de Johnny

Taking a short break, have one more set of shutters to put up, but they're for the back entry door so I'm leaving that for the very end. Throwing the last of the stuff into the closed utility room, last loads of laundry, and off to Hungry Howie's for Mrs. Bear's favorite survival food, cold pizza.

Be safe pj! Take care.

• Like 1

It's raining there now? I'm watching a video from a woman in Ft. Lauderdale. She said it's getting windy and it's raining.

Here in Tampa we're having our standard summer afternoon rain but none of this is influenced by Irma. I think pjb is farther south east of my location so they might be starting to catch the most outer bands of Irma's influence,

• Like 1

And what's going to happen to all of those beautiful and expensive boats sitting in the marinas?

If they're moored properly and have functioning bilge pumps (or are self bailing) they probably survive. but if they break loose complete destruction is assured. Hopefully the owners have very good and current insurance policies.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

And what's going to happen to all of those beautiful and expensive boats sitting in the marinas?

If they're moored properly and have functioning bilge pumps (or are self bailing) they probably survive. but if they break loose complete destruction is assured. Hopefully the owners have very good and current insurance policies.

What's the point of putting sandbags around the homes?

• Like 1

What's the point of putting sandbags around the homes?

Sand Bags are used to make temporary dams around points of entry of a home or business. The sand in a bag interlocks with other sand bags that will keep water for the most part out. There are extreme cases where water needs to be pumped out of the protected areas but overall sand bags are pretty effective to handle up to 2 feet of water.

• Like 1

And how are you doing in Tampa? Are you staying or going?

Other than the pre-apocalyptic hype all is well It is a little concerning that the latest track has a more westward trajectory but we are staying put. I have been through this many times before and feel confident we will be ok.

• Like 2

Other than the pre-apocalyptic hype all is well It is a little concerning that the latest track has a more westward trajectory but we are staying put. I have been through this many times before and feel confident we will be ok.

I've become very distrustful of the media, and I just have a sneaky suspicion that Irma won't be nearly as bad as they are making it out to be. I hope I'm right.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good decision! My sister lives in a very low lying area of Tampa and rather than stay with friends, decided to go to Georgia. 15 mph on I-75 most of the way today with her husband and two cats. Geez, what a long day.

• Like 1

My neighbors (an elderly couple) were bound and determined to fly down to Orlando earlier this week. They have a time-share down there, and they had no desire to see their money wasted. They're relatively well-off, and they love to travel the country.

Thankfully, they listened to reason at the last minute and stayed home. :haz: It's amazing how the fear of losing money can affect people's decision-making....

• Like 4

Someday as a bucket list item, I'd like to ride in one of those weather planes that fly through hurricanes. That would be badazz.

But maybe when I'm well along on the bucket list...

That would be a crazy ride for sure but a lot safer than a friend of mine's bucket list item of being the 1st person to surf a water spout. Yep he wants to paddle out to a close by water spout with parachute attached to person, ride spout up and float down. Pretty awesome vision if you ask me but I have heard these water spouts are loaded with Sharks :LOL:

Surf a water spout?! What kind of bucket list item is that?!...I suppose it's not far from my bucket list item of having an NFL punter kick me square in the nuts. Awesome! :P

:LMAO:

:yes:

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Take care and I hope you got to stock up on beer when you made you mad max fury road run for water! Be safe!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Well there is no bottled water to be had anywhere here. I gave up looking. I have been storing filtered tap water in empty juice (washed thoroughly) bottles. Also I have been using 1 gallon freezer bags to fill and put in freezer. I will fill my deep tub and some 5 gal. Buckets with plain tap water tomorrow in case things really go south and we need water for washing or flushing toilets. I know well be OK as we have been through this type of thing before. I know the world is not coming to an end as there is still plenty of beer, liquor & coffee available :LOL:

All prayers and (or) wishes of well being very much appreciated! :angel:

• Like 3

I know the world is not coming to an end as there is still plenty of beer, liquor & coffee available :LOL:

If that's all you're drinking, you'll be going to the potty a lot! Hope you have working facilities! :LOL:

• Like 1

I've become very distrustful of the media, and I just have a sneaky suspicion that Irma won't be nearly as bad as they are making it out to be. I hope I'm right.

Who doesn't trust the media?

Irma has already been a force to be fearful of as displayed in the Caribbean.

In this particular case, it's better for the media to bloat viewers with coverage. People need to know possible paths of a hurricane, tornado, or storm.

• Like 1

My neighbors (an elderly couple) were bound and determined to fly down to Orlando earlier this week. They have a time-share down there, and they had no desire to see their money wasted. They're relatively well-off, and they love to travel the country.

Thankfully, they listened to reason at the last minute and stayed home. :haz: It's amazing how the fear of losing money can affect people's decision-making....

It's amazing how the possibility to acquire money can affect people's decision-making too

• Like 2

Irma is a serious event that is for sure but regarding the media we are witnesses to sensationalism at its best. Each entity trying to keep their ratings up with their "own" inside track and speculations. It would be very different if just the known facts were on display so that everyday folks could asses and make their own judgment. For example just think how many folks have left their home just because it was blasted repeatedly their neighborhood was going to get demolished only for the storm to change course and hit where everybody ran to escape devastation! Personal past example, 2004 Hurricane Charlie. This storm was in no doubt going to direct hit Tampa! All the models, all the conditions all the predictions assured Tampa would receive it's 1st big hit after almost a century of dodging bullets. The media had the local populous so hyped up almost everyone in town escaped to Orlando. Well Charlie had to teach the "great" predictors of doom just what hurricanes are capable of doing. Charlie made an unexpected early turn and land fall about 90-100 miles south of Tampa in Port Charlotte. Then preceded to tear diagonally north east across the state never losing strength even over land. Charlie SLAMMED Orlando (my friends property lost 47 full grown trees) and all it's refugees from Tampa while Tampa had the most pleasant and calm evening and most beautiful sunset. So hurricanes are gonna do what hurricanes do, we are just left to guess. But I can guarantee most of the folks the evacuate their homes for this storm will end up regretting it. As either the conditions they had to endure on the highway with all the other folks that were stirred up beyond "common sense" or to end up where it was worse than the place they escaped from.

I have several friends that live in Florida and some of them have evacuated and some of them not. I just pray that it doesn't become as devastating as the weather channels make it sound like it could be.

As I mentioned earlier about my friend & his young family in Caicos, his house (a concrete fortress apparently) turned out okay. I don't want to copy and paste his entire Facebook message but he did say that they were lucky as many others "received significant property damage and flooding." Interesting to note, he continued: "government and private businesses that had info on hand had their shelves well stocked and citizens could obtain supplies as late as the day of the hurricane". He also added that it was not the bare shelved madhouse that Florida residents have been experiencing. Additionally, he didn't notice any businesses taking advantage of the situation by being price gouging pricks. One of his final comments was: "This tiny nation has showed up big for its citizens and guests in its most difficult hours."

As I mentioned earlier about my friend & his young family in Caicos, his house (a concrete fortress apparently) turned out okay. I don't want to copy and paste his entire Facebook message but he did say that they were lucky as many others "received significant property damage and flooding." Interesting to note, he continued: "government and private businesses that had info on hand had their shelves well stocked and citizens could obtain supplies as late as the day of the hurricane". He also added that it was not the bare shelved madhouse that Florida residents have been experiencing. Additionally, he didn't notice any businesses taking advantage of the situation by being price gouging pricks. One of his final comments was: "This tiny nation has showed up big for its citizens and guests in its most difficult hours."

Good news. I think it's easier to stay stocked for 35,000 people than 21,000,000. I was in publix last night and found everything I needed but it was still weird to not find any bread or canned goods

• Like 1

Irma is a serious event that is for sure but regarding the media we are witnesses to sensationalism at its best. Each entity trying to keep their ratings up with their "own" inside track and speculations. It would be very different if just the known facts were on display so that everyday folks could asses and make their own judgment. For example just think how many folks have left their home just because it was blasted repeatedly their neighborhood was going to get demolished only for the storm to change course and hit where everybody ran to escape devastation! Personal past example, 2004 Hurricane Charlie. This storm was in no doubt going to direct hit Tampa! All the models, all the conditions all the predictions assured Tampa would receive it's 1st big hit after almost a century of dodging bullets. The media had the local populous so hyped up almost everyone in town escaped to Orlando. Well Charlie had to teach the "great" predictors of doom just what hurricanes are capable of doing. Charlie made an unexpected early turn and land fall about 90-100 miles south of Tampa in Port Charlotte. Then preceded to tear diagonally north east across the state never losing strength even over land. Charlie SLAMMED Orlando (my friends property lost 47 full grown trees) and all it's refugees from Tampa while Tampa had the most pleasant and calm evening and most beautiful sunset. So hurricanes are gonna do what hurricanes do, we are just left to guess. But I can guarantee most of the folks the evacuate their homes for this storm will end up regretting it. As either the conditions they had to endure on the highway with all the other folks that were stirred up beyond "common sense" or to end up where it was worse than the place they escaped from.

True. This prediction of when this storm is going to turn has been a big problem with this storm. I met some people that evacuated miasma I yesterday to Tampa and now it looks like they should have stayed home.

• Like 2

Good news. I think it's easier to stay stocked for 35,000 people than 21,000,000. I was in publix last night and found everything I needed but it was still weird to not find any bread or canned goods

The 35,000 vs 21,000,000 argument is true yet still relative. It's not like Caicos would have multiple mega supermarkets like Publix around.

Mainly though, I think my friend was just relieved that he didn't see any lack of supplies or price gouging that's been sometimes happening in Texas and Florida. From what I've seen, flight prices for one way departures out of Florida have been absurd this week with some of the more extreme tickets being as high as 10-15 times the usual price. I can't understand how that's even legal.