The 2017-18 NFL thread

laughedatbytime

Imagine if you had to experience 2-3minutes of political protest every time you went to the grocery store.

What if you had to endure the playing of the anthem every time you wanted to put gas in your car?

My gawd.....the price of gasoline would plummet from the lack of customers!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

But seriously, as for those who are so outraged at some pro athletes for not standing, do THEY stand for the anthem at home, when they're watching the game on TV? When they're at a bar watching, does everyone in the bar stand at attention? This "controversy" has been blown waaaaaay out of proportion. :eh: :eh:

• Like 1

Imagine if you had to experience 2-3minutes of political protest every time you went to the grocery store.

What if you had to endure the playing of the anthem every time you wanted to put gas in your car?

What does the fact that this is not a thing tell you? Most businesses are smart enough not to alienate a sizable portion of their fan base. The NFL isn't. It seems like my point is missed here. If I want protest I know where to go and I want football I know where to go. Not sure why these two things are mixed.

• Like 1

What does the fact that this is not a thing tell you? Most businesses are smart enough not to alienate a sizable portion of their fan base. The NFL isn't. It seems like my point is missed here. If I want protest I know where to go and I want football I know where to go. Not sure why these two things are mixed.

MONEY!!!!!! Just like most things in life
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the difference is this: The vast majority of American workers are not on the public stage. They're not in the limelight. Being a star pro athlete, or star actor, or star musician is an entirely different existence. Their workplaces are completely different from ours. They can't be compared.

Why do celebrities or pro athletes promote and support political or social causes? Because they can. It's as simple as that. They can do it, and the rest of us cannot. Bono and Roger Waters promote their political causes, Tim Robbins promotes his causes, Charlton Heston promotes his causes, Colin Kaepernick promotes his causes, etc. They can do it. They're in the Limelight.

Comparing our workplace rights and privileges to those of a famous celebrity is like comparing apples to bicycles. Nothing in common.

Explain the money trail to me. Who’s getting rich off of this drama?

In my opinion, the difference is this: The vast majority of American workers are not on the public stage. They're not in the limelight. Being a star pro athlete, or star actor, or star musician is an entirely different existence. Their workplaces are completely different from ours. They can't be compared.

Why do celebrities or pro athletes promote and support political or social causes? Because they can. It's as simple as that. They can do it, and the rest of us cannot. Bono and Roger Waters promote their political causes, Tim Robbins promotes his causes, Charlton Heston promotes his causes, Colin Kaepernick promotes his causes, etc. They can do it. They're in the Limelight.

Comparing our workplace rights and privileges to those of a famous celebrity is like comparing apples to bicycles. Nothing in common.

Your response makes it sound like you think I don’t understand why the athletes are doing it. Believe me, I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve seen musicians and actors use their stage for many years to promote whatever personal cause they have. I’m baffled as to why the owners and league are allowing it. They are under no requirement to allow any protest but have decided to allow it even though it’s clearly alienating some of their customers. Most of the awards shows are not doing so great with ratings these days. Could be over saturation, could be people tired of being lectured. I know why I don’t watch them, don’t need to hear the lectures.

Explain the money trail to me. Who’s getting rich off of this drama?

The Department of Defense paid millions to the NFL in exchange for patriotic demonstrations during games. So the NFL profited directly. Read about it here, if you'd like:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/yp89dj/stephen-a-smith-points-out-nfls-paid-patriotism-problem

Your response makes it sound like you think I don’t understand why the athletes are doing it. Believe me, I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve seen musicians and actors use their stage for many years to promote whatever personal cause they have. I’m baffled as to why the owners and league are allowing it.

For one thing, the athletes have all the leverage. For another thing, the demographics of their fanbase are such that a crackdown would be met with as much hostility as they're getting as a result of their neutrality - or more.

Your response makes it sound like you think I don’t understand why the athletes are doing it. Believe me, I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve seen musicians and actors use their stage for many years to promote whatever personal cause they have. I’m baffled as to why the owners and league are allowing it. They are under no requirement to allow any protest but have decided to allow it even though it’s clearly alienating some of their customers. Most of the awards shows are not doing so great with ratings these days. Could be over saturation, could be people tired of being lectured. I know why I don’t watch them, don’t need to hear the lectures.

You asked a question, and I was just giving my thoughts on it. I do not in any way think that you don't understand the issue.

I love my country good and bad and everything that comes with it. I support the freedom to make demonstrations peacefully to bring light to injustice(s) that have been swept under the rug. I also am compelled to believe there's a time and place for everything. If standing for the anthem is in honor of those who paid the ultimate price I believe everyone should stand. If the anthem is for my country right or wrong then maybe taking a knee is appropriate. I also think that taking a knee is more a respectful act than sitting. But then again I believe if someone wants to sit it is their right to do so even if that act is misunderstood. Sometimes it is more patriotic to stand up the popular thing to do than to just go with the flow. I also feel that all the talk about boycotting the NFL is unproductive and I will continue to support my favorite sport in the world good and bad and everything that comes with it. One

of my favorite mantras goes like this.

"Understanding is a 3 edged sword, your side, their side and the truth...

God Bless America!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Sometimes it is more patriotic to stand up [against?] the popular thing to do than to just go with the flow.

Damned straight. :haz:

This country exists specifically because of people protesting, refusing to conform, and dissenting. Sadly, many people of today have not taken their American History lessons seriously.....assuming that they've studied history at all.

• Like 2

Sometimes it is more patriotic to stand up [against?] the popular thing to do than to just go with the flow.

Damned straight. :haz:

This country exists specifically because of people protesting, refusing to conform, and dissenting. Sadly, many people of today have not taken their American History lessons seriously.....assuming that they've studied history at all.

Yes against another perfect example of me brain working faster than my fingers :LOL:

The Rams need to use the gold helmets if they're not going to take the gold out of their jerseys.
  • Like 1

No one can stop Bortles and the Jags

Except when we pick them to win in the confidence pool...

Jets just got an 80 yd TD run when everyone assumed the runner was down.

• Like 1

No one can stop Bortles and the Jags

Except when we pick them to win in the confidence pool...

Jets just got an 80 yd TD run when everyone assumed the runner was down.

That's the only way they could have got that kind of play.

Panthers win, beat Patriots 33-30 in Foxborough.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum:

• Like 1