Klassic Kinks Albums - A Rush Forum Poll

ReRushed

Klassic Kinks Albums - A Rush Forum Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which classic Kinks album is the Rush Forum's favorite?

• Face to Face
    • Something Else by the Kinks
    • The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
    • Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
    • Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One

I have liked every song I have heard, and they always looked cool .. so I am ashamed to say that I don't have any of their albums or know but a handful of their stuff ..

The time is now !!

• Like 1

I have liked every song I have heard, and they always looked cool .. so I am ashamed to say that I don't have any of their albums or know but a handful of their stuff ..

The time is now !!

No kidding? The past several years they released deluxe versions of almost all their albums. Tons of gems. Personally, I think the five albums I listed in this poll are their creative peak. The 1970s albums are hit and miss but contain lots of good songs among all the concepts and stories. Sleepwalker, Misfits and Low Budget are a nice rebound and the 1980s albums are also pretty good. No masterpieces, though.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as Lucas.

And I have always claimed Waterloo Sunset to be my all time favourite song.

I have never owned a non-compilation of their music but I've heard two of those albums and I've said before that they stood up better to me than The Beatles and that is honestly not something you will here me say often.

I didn't purchase the albums as I was quite poor then lol

But this thread already has me eager to change that.

I saw Sunny Afternoon, the stage musical about them, in 2015 and it was really good.

I have never owned a non-compilation of their music but I've heard two of those albums and I've said before that they stood up better to me than The Beatles and that is honestly not something you will here me say often.

I saw Sunny Afternoon, the stage musical about them, in 2015 and it was really good.

I enjoy all the Kinks eras, but 1966 through 1970, at their best they are the best. I say that about every band I love. Overall, do I enjoy them more than the Beatles? No. But I can understand if someone else does. When the best Kinks music first hits you it can be stunning. You wonder why they aren't mentioned more often in the company of the Beatles or the Who or the Stones. They are right there. The British Invasion Mount Rushmore.

• Like 2

I enjoy all the Kinks eras, but 1966 through 1970, at their best they are the best. I say that about every band I love. Overall, do I enjoy them more than the Beatles? No. But I can understand if someone else does. When the best Kinks music first hits you it can be stunning. You wonder why they aren't mentioned more often in the company of the Beatles or the Who or the Stones. They are right there. The British Invasion Mount Rushmore.

I know lately I've not mentioned the Beatles much but they are in my opinion the greatest band of all time.

Note I didn't say "my favourite". But they are to me the greatest and no one comes close. But The Kinks. I've felt this way based on everything I've ever heard.

Based on what you say I feel I owe it to myself to try them again.

I'm playing Something Else right now and it's just absolutely stunning.

Edited by Segue Myles

Village Green is outstanding.

A weird quasi-concept album about a small town, and despite being released at the height of psychedelia, has nothing on it more psychedelic that a couple of overdubs and a touch of mellotron. Very cool stripped down arrangements, almost like demos. They invented lo-fi!

Two other outstanding collections, imho, are "The Kinks Are Well Respected Men", and "Dave Davies: The Album That Never Was".

If you like 60s Kinks, you will most likely enjoy these. Good luck finding them on Youtube.

img00759.jpg

R-451966-1370802241-6520.jpeg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs4bbNCuaDE

Edited by vaportrailer