Howard Ungerleider on Future Touring

Ron2112

Neil has earned the right to retire, owes nothing to anyone. Wrote the song for him, not you, after all.

However, statements such as "Neil has been struggling with an ailment he picked up whilst motorcycling on this tour" bring no sympathy.

Oh I agree. While in a practical sense the motorcycling is going to irritate his tendinitis, the only reason they got him to tour at all was because he was able to do it between shows. So it's a big likelihood they might have quit touring all together after Vapor Trails if they had put their foot down about that.

I've always thought that Neil touring on a motorcycle was incredibly risky. If he wants to do it on his own time, fine. But doing it while on tour with the band put his own life and safety at risk, not to mention the band not absolutely knowing where Neil was at all times, or that he was safe and accounted for. Just imagine if anything happened to Neil between shows or on the way to a city or venue of a show! Why even risk it? I can't imagine that Alex or Geddy enjoyed the fact that their drummer and equal member of the band was doing this to himself, to them, the crew and to their fans.

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 2

Neil has earned the right to retire, owes nothing to anyone. Wrote the song for him, not you, after all.

However, statements such as "Neil has been struggling with an ailment he picked up whilst motorcycling on this tour" bring no sympathy.

Oh I agree. While in a practical sense the motorcycling is going to irritate his tendinitis, the only reason they got him to tour at all was because he was able to do it between shows. So it's a big likelihood they might have quit touring all together after Vapor Trails if they had put their foot down about that.

I've always thought that Neil touring on a motorcycle was incredibly risky. If he wants to do it on his own time, fine. But doing it while on tour with the band put his own life and safety at risk, not to mention the band not absolutely knowing where Neil was at all times, or that he was safe and accounted for. Just imagine if anything happened to Neil between shows or on the way to a city or venue of a show! Why even risk it? I can't imagine that Alex or Geddy enjoyed the fact that their drummer and equal member of the band was doing this to himself, to them, the crew and to their fans.

Well that's why he always had someone ride with him and why he said he had some crazy insurance. I'm sure Alex and Geddy figured he was going to do whatever he was going to do, and if it made him happy and willing to tour then that was a plus.

It wasn't even about the tendonitis that affected Neil's playing thanks to motorcycling. It was the damp boots he would wear while motorcycling in the rain. The bottom of his feet were fukked up. The poor fella could barely walk but he suffered through it and honored his contract and played for ALL OF YOU ON R40!

SO QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND REMEMBER SEEING THEM LIVE!!!!

If you never saw Rush live then blame your parents or GOD.

I saw them 60 times in exactly 30 years.

That's like seeing RUSH twice a year! I'm a happy camper!!!

You Rush Live Virgins can enjoy the video vertigo!

I thought the foot thing was only during R40? Never heard him mention it before that. Also since it happened during the tour it wouldn't have been a deciding factor for him to go on tour to start with. That's what we're talking about.

That is correct. My reference was to the R40 Tour when Neil came down with that horrific foot infection.

He was in constant pain for most of R40. My point is, the man still honored his contract and played in Rush to make all of his fans happy.

And yes, I am sure Neil would have wanted to cancel the tour thanks to his foot ailment yet he carried the torch and finished R40 in serious pain.

Neil Peart is a trooper. A real man.

He could have pussed out and called it quits.

What's that song on "Counterparts?"

Come on...

"STICK IT OUT!"

NEiL RULES!

He went out on top!

Seeing "Losing It" live at The Forum was so fitting for me.

I was front row for my last Rush show.

I was also front row for my first Rush show in 1984.

I have no regrets in life.

Neil had no interest in going on tour in the first place for R40.

I agree with you. But he hasn't been interested in touring for years. He'd been riding motorcycles since before his tragedy so that's a lot of abuse to his arms and wrists on top of pounding the drums on tour.

• Like 1

It wasn't even about the tendonitis that affected Neil's playing thanks to motorcycling. It was the damp boots he would wear while motorcycling in the rain. The bottom of his feet were fukked up. The poor fella could barely walk but he suffered through it and honored his contract and played for ALL OF YOU ON R40!

SO QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND REMEMBER SEEING THEM LIVE!!!!

If you never saw Rush live then blame your parents or GOD.

I saw them 60 times in exactly 30 years.

That's like seeing RUSH twice a year! I'm a happy camper!!!

You Rush Live Virgins can enjoy the video vertigo!

I thought the foot thing was only during R40? Never heard him mention it before that. Also since it happened during the tour it wouldn't have been a deciding factor for him to go on tour to start with. That's what we're talking about.

That is correct. My reference was to the R40 Tour when Neil came down with that horrific foot infection.

He was in constant pain for most of R40. My point is, the man still honored his contract and played in Rush to make all of his fans happy.

And yes, I am sure Neil would have wanted to cancel the tour thanks to his foot ailment yet he carried the torch and finished R40 in serious pain.

What's that song on "Counterparts?"

Come on...

"STICK IT OUT!"

NEiL RULES!

He went out on top!

Seeing "Losing It" live at The Forum was so fitting for me.

I was front row for my last Rush show.

I was also front row for my first Rush show in 1984.

I have no regrets in life.

I agree with you. But he hasn't been interested in touring for years. He'd been riding motorcycles since before his tragedy so that's a lot of abuse to his arms and wrists on top of pounding the drums on tour.

You are also right on "The Big Money. I also agree with you. He checked out years ago.

• Like 1

It definitely was risky - but it sounds like the only way he would have been on the road. On "his own time" or "for work," the risk is the same. He actually did a top notch job in managing that risk; in fact, he couldn't have done more as a rider. The best clothes, GPS, a partner, the best bike, lots of insurance...

The big question to me was if he traveled by bus or plane would he have FELT better?

• Like 2

It definitely was risky - but it sounds like the only way he would have been on the road. On "his own time" or "for work," the risk is the same. He actually did a top notch job in managing that risk; in fact, he couldn't have done more as a rider. The best clothes, GPS, a partner, the best bike, lots of insurance...

The big question to me was if he traveled by bus or plane would he have FELT better?

Not sure about the rest of his body but his feet would have been much better for the R40 Tour!

• Like 1

We all know neil is neil, but I am surprised the management allowed him to travel by bike. a lot of pro athletes and other people who rely on being functional have a clause in their contract stating what they can and cant do. if he would have crashed it would have cost some big bucks
  • Like 1

We all know neil is neil, but I am surprised the management allowed him to travel by bike. a lot of pro athletes and other people who rely on being functional have a clause in their contract stating what they can and cant do. if he would have crashed it would have cost some big bucks

I can't imagine Howard trying that with Neil. The guys are grown ups and nobody would try and talk him out of something he loves. He was careful and safe but when he drove in wet boots for days and got a fungus on his feet, he should have stopped and said I'll fly for a few days while I heal. Not giving his body a break was stupid

• Like 2

I can't imagine Howard trying that with Neil. The guys are grown ups and nobody would try and talk him out of something he loves. He was careful and safe but when he drove in wet boots for days and got a fungus on his feet, he should have stopped and said I'll fly for a few days while I heal. Not giving his body a break was stupid

Yep. That was pretty dumb if for no other reason he was only hurting himself. Nonsensical for such a (seeming) sense loving person.

• Like 1

It would have been interesting too see what would have happened if management told him "no motorcycling" for safety, insurance reasons, wherever. I wonder if he would have done the past few tours.

Honestly, biking around the backwoods of Indiana is one thing. Doing that in South America is another...that coulda been bad for lots of reasons: much more remote, political problems, etc.

• Like 1

Yep. That was pretty dumb if for no other reason he was only hurting himself. Nonsensical for such a (seeming) sense loving person.

Make you wonder if he did it on purpose. And then used it as an excuse to cut the tour short.

Edited by Wil1972

Thank you. This is EXACTLY the point that gets missed once these threads turn to, "Neil has the right to retire, blah, blah, blah". No one is arguing THAT.

The POINT is that statements like Howard's that "Neil can't tour because of physical reasons" are a load of crap. Neil doesn't want to tour because he has enough money now. Period. Just call it what it is, and move on.

• Like 1

....and I don't buy that either. Olivia needed a college fund, so Neil was going to go out on the road either way. The organization took the insurance risk of letting him go by motorcycle so that he wouldn't piss and moan for the last 10 years.

Of course, he got the last laugh by shitting all over the whole scene in his last book, so there you go.

• Like 4

Yeah....he's a f*ckin' hero. You know what they told us in Basic Training when I was 19? Don't wear wet boots for any extended period of time.

You know why? Because you get foot rot.

You know what happens if you get foot rot in Basic Training? You walk around with foot rot.

That's how "contracts are honored" in the military.....

• Like 3

Yeah....he's a f*ckin' hero. You know what they told us in Basic Training when I was 19? Don't wear wet boots for any extended period of time.

You know what happens if you get foot rot in Basic Training? You walk around with foot rot.

Well stated! Thank you so much for your service!!!!

We called it trench foot but it's the same thing. If you've never been in the military you'd be surprised by the amount of time spent on lecturing about foot care and time spent on trying to avoid these problems. When you're outside in wet conditions for days or weeks on end its hard to avoid. However, if I had access to a hotel or rv every night I would never allow myself to let it get that bad.

• Like 3

Motorcyling that far and that often is hard under any circumstances. Doing that and then playing world class hard-hitting drums is nuts.

I like to fantasize about them going out again, even if for a 10 song hits show. No reason he couldn't fly with the other guys and even bring family on the bus. But alas - and who knows if any of it would make sense now.

I miss Neil horribly - what a legacy.

...And I think the ONLY way we'll see them again is if his daughter pushes him and keeps pushng him because she wants to see him play.

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 2

Motorcyling that far and that often is hard under any circumstances. Doing that and then playing world class hard-hitting drums is nuts.

I like to fantasize about them going out again, even if for a 10 song hits show. No reason he couldn't fly with the other guys and even bring family on the bus. But alas - and who knows if any of it would make sense now.

...And I think the ONLY way we'll see them again is if his daughter pushes him and keeps pushng him because she wants to see him play.

It's nothing compared to riding his bicycle upwards of 100 miles on the way in to shows the day of the show. He was in fantastic shape to be able to do that back in the day.

• Like 1

We called it trench foot but it's the same thing. If you've never been in the military you'd be surprised by the amount of time spent on lecturing about foot care and time spent on trying to avoid these problems. When you're outside in wet conditions for days or weeks on end its hard to avoid. However, if I had access to a hotel or rv every night I would never allow myself to let it get that bad.

Don't take this the wrong way AW but I really love you now! Thank you for your service too!!! I thank every Vet and active military personnel for their service everyday.

God Bless America. I will support our TROOPS for all Eternity.

YOU ROCK AW!

• Like 1

It's nothing compared to riding his bicycle upwards of 100 miles on the way in to shows the day of the show. He was in fantastic shape to be able to do that back in the day.

Neil is one of the greatest humans on the planet. I personally thought he would play as long as his peers, Buddy Rich and even Louie Bellson.

But his body is relative. Harnessing an Eternal Mind.

You would think Neil would have some common sense and take care of his feet on the tour. He was already worn down to the bone. "Roll The Bones" Neil! You sadly lost. Your post about missing Neil and calling him a Legacy makes me sad but I have to be blessed with the time I had on this planet when RUSH was in FULL FORCE!

Being obsessed with RUSH since I was 13 in 1981.

To be able to fall in love with the drums at 11 before I even knew of Neil.

To play my drums up until now and still have an interest and a passion to playing to Rush music.

Playing to other bands simply bores me to death.

Playing to RUSH makes me happy.

Seeing RUSH 60 times in 30 years was a gift. I never took it for granted but it is gone now forever.

I have no regrets.

I've seen a lot. Of course I have never seen it all.

I've met wonderful people from around the world who have seen RUSH 130 times!

It's not about the amount of times others have seen this Legendary Band. It's about the time and energy you personally spent with Rush Live.

I am blessed and satisfied.

However if RUSH ever does a gig somewhere, sometime. I will be there.

Life is a struggle and I get it when it comes to working hard and making money to survive.

But to me money never mattered when it came to seeing RUSH.

I probably could have remodeled my kitchen five times.

I could have landscaped my backyard.

I could have installed new windows.

I could have put in hardwood floors.

Instead I put all of my money in seeing RUSH around most of North America.

No wonder I'm divorced.

Well at least Alex always said hi to my ex wife in the pit. Even gave her a pick in Marysville. Hot blonde.

Adios.

I have no regrets.

RUSH FOREVER.

I am sorry if you think I am being an arrogant ass again to those of you who have never seen RUSH.

I am sorry about that.

Don't blame me.

One of my best friends in the world has seen RUSH every tour since 1975.

That pisses me off.

I missed the entire first decade of live RUSH.

Oh well.

Life goes on.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was flying myself and the ex back to Toronto to see the R30 Tour.

It was incredible. I loved the city, the people, the food and the beer! I remember seeing Alien Vs Predator in a theater there in Toronto.

You could buy beer in the lobby.

I remember going to a Red Sox Blue Jay game at Skydome.

The Blue Jays beat the Red Sux with Pedro Martinez on the mound. EPIC!

I remember walking up to the fourth or fifth deck where Canseco hit that moon shot in the playoffs.

Security told us to leave the vacant area. I said to her, "we will leave but please take our picture here first. I am an A"s fan and Canseco hit a ball here."

She took the pic.

I remember getting into a cab with the ex after R30 at Molsen and racing to College Ave to have some drinks at The Orbit Room.

There was some cool reggae band there. The bar was packed with hundreds of RUSH fans around the world.

I probably met some of you on that infamous night.

One of the greatest trips I have ever taken.

Seeing RUSH in Red Rocks three times is also up there.

Seeing RUSH in New Mexico for the opening show of the "Time Machine" Tour was also priceless.

That was when I had a strong marriage and two sweet little girls who tolerated seeing RUSH that night.

Damn it.

I had it made.

Now all is lost.

Still "WE HOLD ON."

I love that song.

I know many of you hate it.

Life is short.

Live it to the fullest.

• Like 1