Are you a fan of Santana?

Texas King

Last years Santana IV is another very good one, featuring the return of most of the original line-up. If you've not heard it, you should.

There's also a live album/DVD the Santana IV tour which is fantastic. It's great seeing Shrieve, Rolie, Schon and Carabello playing with Carlos again.

That might be a Santana album worth investigating.

Do you own all or most Santana albums?

I own them all up to 82's Shango
  • Like 1

I love Santana, particularly the first four albums: Santana, Abraxas, Santana III and Caravanserai. All four are classics

Amen to that. One of my favorite concerts was Santana, sometime in the 80's at U of Michigan's Hill Auditorium, with an epic version of Samba Pa Ti.

• Like 1

Another one that I love, but don't think has been mentioned yet, is Love Devotion Surrender, the album he did with John McLaughlin. Though it's much more of a John McLaughlin album, with Carlos following his lead.
  • Like 1

If you thought Santana was a good musician, you should hear his wife on drums. Holy tornado!!!!! :Neil:

• Like 1

I heard Santana's Black Magic Woman this morning. I was so sick of hearing it so much when I was growing up, that I never realized what a great song it really is.

Hard to believe it came out 51 years ago!!!!!! :codger:

• Like 1

At the 11:45 mark of this clip below, the drummer from London, ON that's referenced as a member of REO Speedwagon and Santana is Graham Lear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSzxJG3xBY

Lear played drums on Santana's 1982 album 'Shangó, which featured the hit single 'Hold On' (written by another Canadian musician named Ian Thomas from Hamilton, ON posted

).

Both Lear and Thomas are referenced in the "As the Years Go By: Conversations with Canada's Folk, Pop & Rock Pioneers" book as well that's discussed in the interview.

Also, Santana recorded a cover of

by Canadian jazz-rock band Lighthouse, which is on the Supernatural (Deluxe Edition) reissue. Edited by RushFanForever

To be totally honest, I have really tried to like Santana, because I feel that I should, ya know, but struggle a bit.

I only have a few albums...Moonflower and Abraxas; and i'll have to give them another try.

I'm the same with Jimi Hendrix....sorry

A few years ago, I was made aware of a tribute album to Santana titled Viva Carlos! A Super Natural Marathon Celebration.

This project was put together by the Shrapnel Records label featuring other well known and lesser known guitarists performing Santana songs.

I haven't heard the entire album, except Eric Johnson's performance of 'Aqua Marine'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxZKLEyHxg

A few years ago, I was made aware of a tribute album to Santana titled Viva Carlos! A Super Natural Marathon Celebration.

This project was put together by the Shrapnel Records label featuring other well known and lesser known guitarists performing Santana songs.

I haven't heard the entire album, except Eric Johnson's performance of 'Aqua Marine'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxZKLEyHxg

If I heard the opening of this song without seeing the description, I would have immediately known it was EJ. YES FOLKS, he is that fooking good!

He's fantastic, saw him last year in his 50th year tour, he can still smoke that guitar. I love his style, very distinctive sound. Santana, Abraxas have a lot of the hits he's known for. One album of his that is a sleeper is Beyond Appearances, love that one. His music makes me want to dance. Here's two of my faves

• Like 2

Way underrated and overlooked. Early stuff is groundbreaking. He diversified over the years going from rock to jazz fusion to pop. Host of band members changes over the years. Usually 10-15 musicians on stage. Santana shreds, leaving many a guitarist in the dust.
  • Like 1

In junior high, i listened to Zebop! for most one summer. (Had my beat box!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7_ssVOgoU&list=PLrpyDacBCh7CtlpP7m-vFmXfYgEEQ_XlU

• Like 1

In junior high, i listened to Zebop! for most one summer. (Had my beat box!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7_ssVOgoU&list=PLrpyDacBCh7CtlpP7m-vFmXfYgEEQ_XlU

Nice, lyrics are poignant with today's struggle. :) :clap: