Rate the Rush discography from the album Presto to Clockwork Angels(1989-2012)

Texas King

Rate the Rush discography from the album Presto to Clockwork Angels(1989-2012)  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Rush discography from the album Presto to Clockwork Angels(1989-2012)

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

Presto is criminally underrated in my opinion, I'd give that album a 7 out of 10. The 90's was definitely their weakest era, but Counterparts is probably their best from that decade. They definitely picked it back up in the 2000's and I personally love Vapor Trails because it's very nostalgic for me, it reminds me of watching Rush In Rio with my dad when I was a kid. Also Clockwork Angels was the album that made me fall in love with Rush, it's the soundtrack of my sophomore year of high school.

Do you count Presto as a 90's era album? I know I do despite the fact that it came out in '89.

Presto is criminally underrated in my opinion, I'd give that album a 7 out of 10. The 90's was definitely their weakest era, but Counterparts is probably their best from that decade. They definitely picked it back up in the 2000's and I personally love Vapor Trails because it's very nostalgic for me, it reminds me of watching Rush In Rio with my dad when I was a kid. Also Clockwork Angels was the album that made me fall in love with Rush, it's the soundtrack of my sophomore year of high school.

Do you count Presto as a 90's era album? I know I do despite the fact that it came out in '89.

That's pretty debatable, it still has more of an 80's sound compared to their other 90's stuff. I guess it can go either way really, but personally I'd lump it with the 80's.

That's pretty debatable, it still has more of an 80's sound compared to their other 90's stuff. I guess it can go either way really, but personally I'd lump it with the 80's.

Not sure how it's even slightly debatable. Conceived in the 80s. Recorded in the 80s. Released in the 80s.

• Like 1

Not sure how it's even slightly debatable. Conceived in the 80s. Recorded in the 80s. Released in the 80s.

it was released in like november 1989 though. and i consider it a transition into the 90's i guess.

Black Sabatth's debut was conceived and recorded in 1969, relased in Feb the next year, but there's no question to me that it sounds like a 70's album, not a 60's one. Presto's easing back of the keyboard presence and its return of the guitar to front and center reflect the spirit of 90's music. The guitar tone, of course, doesn't.
  • Like 1

Black Sabatth's debut was conceived and recorded in 1969, relased in Feb the next year, but there's no question to me that it sounds like a 70's album, not a 60's one. Presto's easing back of the keyboard presence and its return of the guitar to front and center reflect the spirit of 90's music. The guitar tone, of course, doesn't.

Okay, so if an album sounds like something from a different decade from when it was made and released, then it should be considered the decade that it sounds like. Got it. I'll make an EP and release it this summer. If it sounds like music from the 2020s then it'll be an album from that decade since I will have captured its spirit. Not bad considering I'd be making and releasing it before the decade even happens. :P

Okay, so if an album sounds like something from a different decade from when it was made and released, then it should be considered the decade that it sounds like. Got it. I'll make an EP and release it this summer. If it sounds like music from the 2020s then it'll be an album from that decade since I will have captured its spirit. Not bad considering I'd be making and releasing it before the decade even happens. :P

I know. Its a bit like thinking the world is flat but eventually coming around to the fact that its not completely round but definitely isnt flat. Nawmean?

I know. Its a bit like thinking the world is flat but eventually coming around to the fact that its not completely round but definitely isnt flat. Nawmean?

Two excellent analogies, considering that a difference of days compared to decades for a release is no matter.

Silly.

Presto to Clockwork Angels is the weakest part of the Rush discography, but still 3.5 stars. I feel like there is an age thing here. I have been a fan since around when Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures were released and look back at the 70'-80's as their best work. From other posts, it seems that younger fans have more affection for later albums released when they were young. Curious what others think

Presto-7/10

Roll the Bones-8/10

Counterparts-2/10

Test For Echo-8/10

Vapor Trails-8/10

Snakes and Arrows-4/10

Clockwork Angels-9/10

Presto was a nice first step away from the mediocrity of the synth era, and RTB saw the band at their post 1981 peak. CP was a great step forward in sound and a giant leap back in songs and lyrics, which T4E improved upon greatly. VT is powerful, but sonically a mess, whereas S&A is the opposite...but songs are good or bad regardless of production. That remains true with the best work of the period, CA.

Permanent Waves was conceived and recorded in 1979, released in Jan the next year, but there's no question to me that it sounds like a 70's album, not a 80's one.

Fixed for ya, I know Johnny approves

• Like 1

Permanent Waves was conceived and recorded in 1979, released in Jan the next year, but there's no question to me that it sounds like a 70's album, not a 80's one.

You're going to need a new gag.

The PeW thing is another funny one...written and recorded in the 70s and released in '80 and there's a debate.

And now here's Presto...written, recorded, and released in the 80s yet there's a debate that it should be considered a 90s album.

I ate pizza on Monday which actually means I ate it on Wednesday :P

The PeW thing is another funny one...written and recorded in the 70s and released in '80 and there's a debate.

And now here's Presto...written, recorded, and released in the 80s yet there's a debate that it should be considered a 90s album.

That pizza was actually prepared and cooked on a Sunday, making it a weekend pizza

That pizza was actually prepared and cooked on a Sunday, making it a weekend pizza

Exactly

Permanent Waves was released Dec. 31, 1979 in Japan so in that country it was a '70s album (as in released in the '70s). Says 1979 right on the Japanese CD.

That's fine. PeW is an album I never questioned either way.

But how would you spin Presto being a 90s album (without resorting to "it sounds like a 90s album" or "its spirit is in the 90s")?

• Like 1

Permanent Waves was released Dec. 31, 1979 in Japan so in that country it was a '70s album (as in released in the '70s). Says 1979 right on the Japanese CD.

But how would you spin Presto being a 90s album (without resorting to "it sounds like a 90s album" or "its spirit is in the 90s")?

Resorting to? Those would be the only reasons. And valid ones.

Do you consider Black Sabbath's debut a 60's album? I don't.

Well for that, please check out the BS Forum. Re Presto, they... finally, held back on the synths, featured Alex a bit more. A lot of the Presto songs are decent and the new TSS bonus live material sounds great. However their gander into 80s synth land and desire to sound like a mature band left Presto with an uneven unsure production.

With Presto you're talking about subjective things [it sounds like this, it sounds like that]. I'm talking about a clearly defined timeline and set of dates. It's not even a PeW thang in which the release was delayed in North America to have that 1980 stamp on it.

But okay, you and Digital Dad think it's a 90s album because it sounds like one. It's spirit is there in your opinion. I get it.

As for Sabbath, I haven't heard that album in so long that I couldn't tell you where it fits. THAT situation, at least, seems closer to the PeW debate (due to the later release dates and all).

With Presto you're talking about subjective things [it sounds like this, it sounds like that]. I'm talking about a clearly defined timeline and set of dates. It's not even a PeW thang in which the release was delayed in North America to have that 1980 stamp on it.

But okay, you and Digital Dad think it's a 90s album because it sounds like one. It's spirit is there in your opinion. I get it.

As for Sabbath, I haven't heard that album in so long that I couldn't tell you where it fits. THAT situation, at least, seems closer to the PeW debate (due to the later release dates and all).

Well, a release date is a pretty cut and dried thing, and a very short conversation.

As for not remembering Sabbath's debut, shame on you. :P

Don't forget that the Earth isn't flat, but not completely round

This is important when determining the recording and release date of an album

A few years into the 80s, it was obvious that the synths and the like were passé - it only took Rush another 5 or 6 years to realize this

80s

• Like 1

Ah yes, it made rethink everything long and hard. ;)

(Hence, my ridiculous pizza example that followed shortly after) :P

I wouldn't.

One thing I would say about Presto is that the band entered a new phase and took a step back from the "world's smallest symphony orchestra" aesthetic. That coincidentally happened when they changed record labels. The release year just happened to be 1989 (Along with A Show of Hands which symbolically marked the end to an era) and the tour just happened to be in 1990.

To me, it just sounds like Rush.

A few years into the 80s, it was obvious that the synths and the like were passé - it only took Rush another 5 or 6 years to realize this

80s

It may have been obvious to you, but there were quite a few bands still using synths/keyboards until Pearl Jam,Nirvana, and Soundgarden effectively killed them all off at that time

80s

It may have been obvious to you, but there were quite a few bands still using synths/keyboards until Pearl Jam,Nirvana, and Soundgarden effectively killed them all off at that time

While those bands finished synths and hair metal off, Appetite for Destruction can be said to have struck the first blow.
  • Like 1