Rush songs in movies and TV series?

Texas King

Neil mentions in the liner notes of Rush in Rio that Tom Sawyer was used in South America as the theme to McGyver. TS was also in Small Soldiers. I Love You, Man has several big Rush references, along with the band themselves.
  • Like 1

Family Guy had a cutaway joke where the Cheetos Cheetah was sniffing the cheese dust like cocaine and they were playing "Tom Sawyer." Family Guy also had a 2112 reference as well I believe. They also play "Limelight," and "Tom Sawyer" as well in "I Love You Man" as someone mentioned.

I was a little surprised back in the day that Rush wasn't used in the original Heavy Metal movie back in '81.

Interesting... It's possible they were asked but declined. By '81 they weren't considering themselves metal anymore. They never were metal but ... I think that's a topic for another thread. ;-)

Family Guy had a cutaway joke where the Cheetos Cheetah was sniffing the cheese dust like cocaine and they were playing "Tom Sawyer." Family Guy also had a 2112 reference as well I believe. They also play "Limelight," and "Tom Sawyer" as well in "I Love You Man" as someone mentioned.

Oh the Family Guy reference reminded me of a reference in American Dad. Steve's garage band was playing, I think, 2112?? It's been awhile since I saw it.

• Like 2

I was a little surprised back in the day that Rush wasn't used in the original Heavy Metal movie back in '81.

Interesting... It's possible they were asked but declined. By '81 they weren't considering themselves metal anymore. They never were metal but ... I think that's a topic for another thread. ;-)

Journey's Open Arms was on there. Steely Dan was on there. Stevie Nicks. And others I've forgotten. Rush even in '81 was more metal than some of those others

• Like 1

In the new 2016 film 'Office Christmas Party' a Rush mention is an outtake at the end of the film.

In the scene that made the film actor TJ Miller says

'I got a degree in Canadian Television Broadcasting and I minored in Drake'

In the scene that was cut he said

'I got a degree in Canadian Television Broadcasting and I minored in Rush'

^^This scene is played as part of the blooper reel at the end of the film

Still upset with whatever Hollywood Douche felt Drake was more Canadian than Rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journey's Open Arms was on there. Steely Dan was on there. Stevie Nicks. And others I've forgotten. Rush even in '81 was more metal than some of those others

True dat.

• Like 1

True dat.

I'd post the scene in which Open Arms is played but 73 would give me a warning. :P

You could call it the "Harry Canyon eats a sandwich then gets lucky" scene. If this doesn't ring a bell then you should watch the movie again. :blaze:

• Like 1

True dat.

I'd post the scene in which Open Arms is played but 73 would give me a warning. :P

You could call it the "Harry Canyon eats a sandwich then gets lucky" scene. If this doesn't ring a bell then you should watch the movie again. :blaze:

It's been ages I need to see this again.

True dat.

It's been ages I need to see this again.

Less than 1 minute of The Mob Rules here but it's still a cool little scene and great use of the tune :blaze:

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer was in that Adam Sandler football movie...the title escapes me. Water Boy?

Yeah that's correct. Extremely dumb movie even by Adam Sandler standards. Tom Sawyer has seen better settings.

Extremely dumb? Maybe. But extremely funny:

"Vicky Valencourt showed me her boobies. And I like THEM too!"