Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Last night here, and it's raining. Ah well, will still have fun: get happy, have delicious food, tuktuk tour of the city at night and back for a drink. Probably watch a few Khmer karaoke videos. They're chaste yet chesty.

Hopefully get out for a nice morning walk tomorrow. I was out before 7 this morning and it was very nice.

Hard to believe it's the last few hours here. Ah well, I'm a lucky f*cker. I am I am I am.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qwVJ7FWc4rQ

What time's your flight?

11:25 am. Basically woke up, went for quick walk, breakfast, finished packing, and tuktuk to airport. Interesting drive via street 2004. Lots of KTV places clustered coincidentally around a military compound/campus/thing. All flights packed, but no issues anywhere. Watched "Star Wars: Rogue One".

I'm amazed at how clueless people can be on an airplane. Why do you suddenly need your suitcase as we're landing?

And while I'm complaining, tourists spend a lot of time complaining.

Blaze, how long has 'mind control' been an interest of yours?

Did you visit one of their locations while you were there.

http://www.happyherbpizza.com/

I might've. I went to a few different shops. I went at least once a day but never to the same place twice.

The burgers look really good. BTW, draft beer for fifty cents. I'm outta here. :D :hail:

Also, what is really great about the place? Just curious. Might have to visit at some point.

You've probably seen this thread before but if not:

http://www.therushfo...dma#entry919272

Oh yeah,

I remember it. Thanks. Maybe on my day off I will look at costs ect.. When is the best time of year to visit?

Time of year is best answered by vt. I went in May and had absolutely no weather issues. Two seasons though: rainy or dry. That's it.

Just know that the only thing that might cost you is the flight. Even a kick ass hotel will be cheap. All meals, drinks, taxis, tuk tuks, souvenirs, and reefers will cost between cheap as hell and very cheap. As an example, I don't ever remember paying more than a dollar for a beer.

Thanks, Then I will just concentrate on the flight cost. I hate the rain for sure.

Not JUST rain. It'd be torrential-downpour-drowning-in-it kind of rain. :LOL:

I did a quick search for Siem Reap and the dry season is November to April with the most amount of sunshine being December to February. As I said though, I went in May and had no problems. But then again, I went at the start of May.

The warm rain isn't a problem. it's the cold stuff. The only place I have been to outside of America, Canada and Mexico is New Zealand. Heaven on earth!! One day on a guided fly fishing trip we went off road big time and it started to rain. It was warm so it wasn't a big problem at all. Made it for tough fishing though. I did catch a nice seven pound brown trout. :cool:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Last night here, and it's raining. Ah well, will still have fun: get happy, have delicious food, tuktuk tour of the city at night and back for a drink. Probably watch a few Khmer karaoke videos. They're chaste yet chesty.

Hopefully get out for a nice morning walk tomorrow. I was out before 7 this morning and it was very nice.

Hard to believe it's the last few hours here. Ah well, I'm a lucky f*cker. I am I am I am.

What time's your flight?

11:25 am. Basically woke up, went for quick walk, breakfast, finished packing, and tuktuk to airport. Interesting drive via street 2004. Lots of KTV places clustered coincidentally around a military compound/campus/thing. All flights packed, but no issues anywhere. Watched "Star Wars: Rogue One".

I'm amazed at how clueless people can be on an airplane. Why do you suddenly need your suitcase as we're landing?

I might've. I went to a few different shops. I went at least once a day but never to the same place twice.

The burgers look really good. BTW, draft beer for fifty cents. I'm outta here. :D :hail:

Also, what is really great about the place? Just curious. Might have to visit at some point.

Oh yeah,

I remember it. Thanks. Maybe on my day off I will look at costs ect.. When is the best time of year to visit?

Time of year is best answered by vt. I went in May and had absolutely no weather issues. Two seasons though: rainy or dry. That's it.

Just know that the only thing that might cost you is the flight. Even a kick ass hotel will be cheap. All meals, drinks, taxis, tuk tuks, souvenirs, and reefers will cost between cheap as hell and very cheap. As an example, I don't ever remember paying more than a dollar for a beer.

Thanks, Then I will just concentrate on the flight cost. I hate the rain for sure.

I did a quick search for Siem Reap and the dry season is November to April with the most amount of sunshine being December to February. As I said though, I went in May and had no problems. But then again, I went at the start of May.

The warm rain isn't a problem. it's the cold stuff. The only place I have been to outside of America, Canada and Mexico is New Zealand. Heaven on earth!! One day on a guided fly fishing trip we went off road big time and it started to rain. It was warm so it wasn't a big problem at all. Made it for tough fishing though. I did catch a nice seven pound brown trout. :cool:

The temperature's fine. I'm saying the strength of the rain itself. You can't do anything in it sometimes. You can't drive in that. Or you shouldn't anyway. Everything stops and you're stranded wherever you are. One day I was stuck in a Saigon bar smoking reefers all day ((whoa is me ;) )) due to the flooded streets. I wasn't about to walk in knee deep of that crap in order to not be able to flag down a taxi which can't go anywhere anyway. Southeast Asia man!

• Like 2

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

The temperature's fine. I'm saying the strength of the rain itself. You can't do anything in it sometimes. You can't drive in that. Or you shouldn't anyway. Everything stops and you're stranded wherever you are. One day I was stuck in a Saigon bar smoking reefers all day ((whoa is me ;) )) due to the flooded streets. I wasn't about to walk in knee deep of that crap in order to not be able to flag down a taxi which can't go anywhere anyway. Southeast Asia man!

I can live with that. :hail: :smoke:

• Like 1

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

:yes:

At the time, my travel buddy said, "This is the perfect place to be stranded!"

Too right.

• Like 2

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

Does it come out of no where? Or do you have time to decide what to do?

• Like 1

The Lad and I are making a road trip up to Sandpoint, Idaho. Each year in May they hold a big car show that my late father-in-law was a big fan of. We'll meet my mother-in-law there and drive Gramp's 1960 T-bird in the parade, and then...shenanigans, no doubt.

253731-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

• Like 3

What time's your flight?

I visited the one in Sihanoukville, although there are many 'happy' places there (I recommend Ecstatic Pizza for their incapacitating happy shakes).

There's a bunch in Phnom Penh too. It's easy enough to buy smoke, but if you'd rather eat pizza, enjoy!

Most places will 'happy' up whatever you'd like: omelet, rice, noodles, ice-cream, etc for about a dollar. Fun!

What time's your flight?

Cheap booze, cheap food, cheap hotels, everything is pretty cheap! Relatively easy enough to get around even if you don't speak Khmer.

Close to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, so it's easy to visit two or more of these countries depending on how much time you have.

The restaurants are good, snacks are plentiful, street food is delicious. Lots of history and historical sights/sites. Angkor is stunning.

What I like about Cambodia: the availability (and price) of 'happy', the music, culture, food, climate, walking, people are quite friendly, cost of living, tuktuk tours, river tours, all the markets, seeing the old buildings and pre-Khmer Rouge architecture, seeing all the temples and monks, coffee stalls, sugar-cane juice stalls, grilled frog...I could go on and on!

Do some research to see if Cambodia is 'for you'. It has pollution, poverty, and major corruption issues, which turn many people off. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info, or have specific questions.

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

re: rain/seasons and such; yes, you usually have a rain warning of heavy grey cloud followed by a burst of wind before the rain usually starts. Usually!

Best time to visit Cambodia would probably be autumn. The wet season is ending, and things are somewhat cool (heating up again by April). The tourists generally come July-Aug (rainy season) and Christmas (expensive season :LOL: )

Rain isn't usually that big of a deal, maybe a downpour for an hour or so. Easy enough to spend time in a restaurant, bar, store, or watching khmer music videos in your hotel room with a happy shake! (They deliver!)

If you're interested in fishing (why would I guess that?), check out Sihanoukville to see what it or nearby islands have on offer.

This is a pretty handy and informative site: http://www.canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm

• Like 2

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

re: rain/seasons and such; yes, you usually have a rain warning of heavy grey cloud followed by a burst of wind before the rain usually starts. Usually!

Best time to visit Cambodia would probably be autumn. The wet season is ending, and things are somewhat cool (heating up again by April). The tourists generally come July-Aug (rainy season) and Christmas (expensive season :LOL: )

Rain isn't usually that big of a deal, maybe a downpour for an hour or so. Easy enough to spend time in a restaurant, bar, store, or watching khmer music videos in your hotel room with a happy shake! (They deliver!)

If you're interested in fishing (why would I guess that?), check out Sihanoukville to see what it or nearby islands have on offer.

This is a pretty handy and informative site: http://www.canbypubl...enh/ppintro.htm

Thanks for the link. Why is everything so cheap? They depend on tourism so much?

• Like 1

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

This is a pretty handy and informative site: http://www.canbypubl...enh/ppintro.htm

Thanks for the link. Why is everything so cheap? They depend on tourism so much?

I don't think tourism makes a huge difference in the economy like it does in the more popular destination of Thailand.

Tourism is a catch-22 at Angkor Wat...an increase in tourism (naturally) generates revenue BUT too much tourism destroys tourist sites [temples]...too many feet trampling on the soil.

Cambodia's still a developing country. As a guess, I bet the average annual income would definitely be under $5,000. I'm not looking down on that, I'm just saying it as it is...or, at leased how I think it likely is.

I can't remember where I saw these numbers but I read that poverty there dropped from around 50% to 20%. And this a fairly recent stat. That's a very impressive drop but 20% is still 20% and those that aren't in that 20% sometimes are barely escaping it soooooo they may as well be included in the stat itself. And then there's the fact that poverty in North America cannot compare to the poverty in a developing country.

• Like 2

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

I don't think tourism makes a huge difference in the economy like it does in the more popular destination of Thailand.

Tourism is a catch-22 at Angkor Wat...an increase in tourism (naturally) generates revenue BUT too much tourism destroys tourist sites [temples]...too many feet trampling on the soil.

Cambodia's still a developing country. As a guess, I bet the average annual income would definitely be under $5,000. I'm not looking down on that, I'm just saying it as it is...or, at leased how I think it likely is.

I can't remember where I saw these numbers but I read that poverty there dropped from around 50% to 20%. And this a fairly recent stat. That's a very impressive drop but 20% is still 20% and those that aren't in that 20% sometimes are barely escaping it soooooo they may as well be included in the stat itself. And then there's the fact that poverty in North America cannot compare to the poverty in a developing country.

Interesting,

Where exactly should we go? I am going to do more research this weekend on the place.

• Like 1

What time's your flight?

Oh yeah,

Too right.

Interesting,

Where exactly should we go? I am going to do more research this weekend on the place.

I'd probably do something like this:

3 days Phnom Penh: rest up from the flight, check out some historical stuff, go for a river tour, see Wat Phnom, visit some markets, walk the riverside, see the palace etc etc

3-4 days Siem Reap: you probably want to spend at least two days checking out the temples, fun town to explore too. "Pub Street" - need I say more?

3-4 days Sihanoukville: beaches, seafood, sun, etc etc. There are busy places to stay, there are quiet places to stay. Fun to do a combination.

I would end the trip with two nights in Phnom Penh just to see more of the city, check out more restaurants, markets, bars, whatever you didn't get done last time...

That would take about two weeks. You could add a couple of nights in either of the pleasant towns of Battambang or Kampot if you have the energy!

http://www.phnompenhinfo.com/images/home/Phnom.Penh.original.16420%3D.jpg

• Like 2

Cool,

As far as hotels go. Did you book them before you went there? Or just get a room as you checked out different places?

We booked ours before we went to Siem Reap because I figured Angkor Wat is the most popular site in Cambodia. But PP we just got one when we arrived. Also, we were flying into Siem Reap so we wanted to be able to give immigration/customs the exact hotel where we were staying. But that was my doing, my paranoia of just not wanting any possible issue of immigration asking where we were staying (but not having a place booked) and all that. It really isn't any trouble though.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I'd probably do something like this:

3 days Phnom Penh: rest up from the flight, check out some historical stuff, go for a river tour, see Wat Phnom, visit some markets, walk the riverside, see the palace etc etc

3-4 days Siem Reap: you probably want to spend at least two days checking out the temples, fun town to explore too. "Pub Street" - need I say more?

3-4 days Sihanoukville: beaches, seafood, sun, etc etc. There are busy places to stay, there are quiet places to stay. Fun to do a combination.

I would end the trip with two nights in Phnom Penh just to see more of the city, check out more restaurants, markets, bars, whatever you didn't get done last time...

That would take about two weeks. You could add a couple of nights in either of the pleasant towns of Battambang or Kampot if you have the energy!

http://www.phnompenhinfo.com/images/home/Phnom.Penh.original.16420%3D.jpg

Minus Sihanoukville, that was similar to my trip:

3-4 days in Siem Reap/Angkor

2 days in PP

Then crossing the border by bus into Saigon...

4-5 days in Saigon

2 of 3 of my travel buddies had never been to Saigon so that's why we went there too. I would've done just Cambodia and gone for a 5 Siem Reap and 4 in PP trip but hey, I'm not complaining about that 2nd time in Saigon. That's a cool place to visit too. Cheap beer and reefer too!!! Didn't find any happy pizza though.

The cheapest beer I've ever found was about 25 cents at some street corner bar in Hanoi. As I sat there in my highness to boot I thought, "How the hell can this still be good beer for 25 cents?!" But it was.

The Philippines had some good cheap beer for about 50 cents at this one beach hut billiards bar I slobbered in with one of my cousins. :LOL:

• Like 2

In general, where should a person not go for safety reasons?

You mean a particular city or an area within a particular city?

I know I've never felt any spot I visited in either Cambodia or Vietnam was unsafe though...and that's even with my earlier anecdote of some cabbie threatening to kill one of my travel mates :LOL:

The unsafest place I've been in either country was in one of those river boats. Old ass wood, leaking, leaning, etc. And you just know there must be some crocodiles (or are they alligators there?) swimming around in the Mekong waiting for some western human flesh. :LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

I know I've never felt any spot I visited in either Cambodia or Vietnam was unsafe though...and that's even with my earlier anecdote of some cabbie threatening to kill one of my travel mates :LOL:

The unsafest place I've been in either country was in one of those river boats. Old ass wood, leaking, leaning, etc. And you just know there must be some crocodiles (or are they alligators there?) swimming around in the Mekong waiting for some western human flesh. :LOL:

Country, cities ect.. That cabbie and boat story are freaking nuts.Especially the boat leaking. Fu***** crocks just waiting for it to sink freaks me out. :P

• Like 2

Country, cities ect.. That cabbie and boat story are freaking nuts.Especially the boat leaking. Fu***** crocks just waiting for it to sink freaks me out. :P

Well, I've been in quite a few boats down there that seemed risky. Hell, i think I might've been to Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, The Philippines, and Indonesia on more than 10 separate trips (I think vt has been much more...and longer) and I've taken a boat of some sort at least once each visit----> ALL those boats looked like I was going to die!!! :LOL:

Here's related tidbit for you though: On one Mekong Delta boat tour while I was in Cambodia, we stopped at one of those floating villages for drinks (beer) and snacks. One floating pen (giant cage) by the side of the village had 3 or 4 slimy looking big ass crocs in them. Just sitting in there looking prehistoric. Obviously, they were plucked right from the Mekong Delta. Now I grew up in Florida so seeing an alligator in a nearby creek by my house wasn't unusual BUT somehow at that place and at that time, seeing those crocs was surprising and a little scary. I guess it could've been the pot talking too though. :LOL:

Oh, here's some Lonely Planet travel info for safety in Cambodia. I can't really disagree with any of it but as I said earlier, I never felt it was an unsafe place. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/cambodia/safety

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. If I ever make it there, I am staying away from the water. :LOL:

:LOL:

Of course you have to go to the water. You can't NOT see the Mekong Delta if you're there.

I meant to say,

Those type of boats you were referring to. :P

• Like 1

Cool,

As far as hotels go. Did you book them before you went there? Or just get a room as you checked out different places?

Lots of hotels there. Lots! I like a good balcony, so I booked ahead (and was very lucky), but had a back-up list. You just don't want to be tired or hungry or dragging around a pile of luggage while you're looking! I've booked through Agoda many times, never any problems.

Again, do some research: what area of town do you want to stay in? do you want a pool? do you need to see the river from your hotel room? is breakfast included? TripAdvisor has good info and reviews of a ridiculous amount of places.

• Like 1