Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Pictures will soon follow?

Let's hope!

Oops...didn't bring the camera, just have the damn iPad. They say a pic is worth a thousand words, so get ready for some long-winded descriptions. :D

Big rainstorm here today. Good day just to hang out, read, drink coffee etc. Will write remaining 987 words later.

• Like 2

Hey vt, I was just checking my tiny pocket fact book on nations of the world. Phnom Penh is twice as populated as I had thought.

Anyway, I have a few questions for you...

First question:

When in rains down there in that typical Southeast Asian way, do the streets get filled to the brim? I was fortunate to have good weather for the too short week i had in Cambodia. But I have had the Southeast Asian rain gods try to drown me a few times ((of course!)). One I remember with fondness--I was literally stranded one afternoon in a pub in Saigon. Why wade through thigh deep water 3 blocks back to my hotel for an afternoon of nothing when I could beer and toke my way to oblivion in a comfortable pub instead? Whoa is me, right? I think I made the right choice planting myself where i was for 5-6 hours. I think I've digressed.

Second question:

Do you rent a scooter while you're in Phnom Penh or is it all walkabouts and tuk tuks for you?

Third question:

Have you ever spent time in a Cambodian hospital or been inside one? I've talked to Mrs. B about retiring in Southeast Asia for couple of years now (not Cambodia but possibly 'Nam, Malaysia, or the Philippines). She's finally come around to at least thinking it's a possibility. I'm not sure I want to do it BUT has always been a possibility for me. I'm not worried about food, culture shock, being homesick, or anything like that. My biggest concern is health care.

• Like 1

Mr. B!

I'll probably be in better position to answer your questions in a couple of weeks, but here goes...

1 - Had one good rain since I arrived. I'm sure there will be more to come. My first trip here, we were in Kampot and it was pretty water-logged. Not waist (or waste, ew) deep by any means. I was in Jakarta a few years back when parts of it were underwater, but my hotel was out in the boonies and no problems. Ditto Bali. I'll update this answer in 5 weeks!

2 - For local transport, walkabouts and tuktuks mostly. Cyclos are still around the downtown core, but the drivers are usually old skinny guys, and I'd hate to be the cause of their death by cardiac arrest. I like walking an awful lot, but as you know conditions here are sometimes not so conducive to a rewarding ambulatory experience (aka: RAE).

3 - Hospitals: Not first hand, luckily, although I understand things here are improving. And you're only an hour flight from Bangkok and its hospitals. I'll see what I can turn up...

4 - Smoking bars: excellent question! I read about a couple of these on the i'net yesterday and probably will check one out this evening.

Purely for research purposes of course, and also because you asked so nicely about them. :)

5 - Will PM you with preliminary results of Bargirl survey. I have to go to the hospital for some shots first.

• Like 1

3 - Hospitals: Not first hand, luckily, although I understand things here are improving. And you're only an hour flight from Bangkok and its hospitals. I'll see what I can turn up...

4 - Smoking bars: excellent question! I read about a couple of these on the i'net yesterday and probably will check one out this evening.

Purely for research purposes of course, and also because you asked so nicely about them. :)

5 - Will PM you with preliminary results of Bargirl survey. I have to go to the hospital for some shots first.

Flying to Bangok for a hospital I wouldn't be too keen on doing since you're automatically stopped at the airport for a bit in order to get the tourist visa. The first time I flew in it was absolute madness. But that was the old airport back in '03. The second time wasn't half as bad (because of the new airport). Still, going through that process while in need of medical attention might be a bit much.

Would like to know what happens with #4 and #5.

• Like 1

Flying to Bangok for a hospital I wouldn't be too keen on doing since you're automatically stopped at the airport for a bit in order to get the tourist visa. The first time I flew in it was absolute madness. But that was the old airport back in '03. The second time wasn't half as bad (because of the new airport). Still, going through that process while in need of medical attention might be a bit much.

Re: hospitals, there is a brand new one here, referred to as the Thai Hospital, but called The Royal Phnom Penh Hospital. Apparently it's very good, but not cheap. I think it was opened late 2014.

Will get back to you on #4 and 5! Laid up with Bali Belly (er, Cambodian Gut?) right now so enjoying the confines of my room and Khmer videos on TV. Maybe #4 and 5 do house calls...

Re: hospitals, there is a brand new one here, referred to as the Thai Hospital, but called The Royal Phnom Penh Hospital. Apparently it's very good, but not cheap. I think it was opened late 2014.

Will get back to you on #4 and 5! Laid up with Bali Belly (er, Cambodian Gut?) right now so enjoying the confines of my room and Khmer videos on TV. Maybe #4 and 5 do house calls...

In all my trips to SE Asia there wasn't a single visit in which I wasn't a prolific toilet visitor. Luckily though I've never actually felt sick...somehow. My stomach felt strange/not usual on 36.89% of those visits BUT I never really felt ill.

• Like 1

Mr. B!

I'll probably be in better position to answer your questions in a couple of weeks, but here goes...

1 - Had one good rain since I arrived. I'm sure there will be more to come. My first trip here, we were in Kampot and it was pretty water-logged. Not waist (or waste, ew) deep by any means. I was in Jakarta a few years back when parts of it were underwater, but my hotel was out in the boonies and no problems. Ditto Bali. I'll update this answer in 5 weeks!

2 - For local transport, walkabouts and tuktuks mostly. Cyclos are still around the downtown core, but the drivers are usually old skinny guys, and I'd hate to be the cause of their death by cardiac arrest. I like walking an awful lot, but as you know conditions here are sometimes not so conducive to a rewarding ambulatory experience (aka: RAE).

Sounds like you are having a great time!! Have you had any problems with crime ect? :cheers:

• Like 1

Mr. B!

Sounds like you are having a great time!! Have you had any problems with crime ect? :cheers:

The only crime vt will likely see is possibly paying 10 bucks for an ounce instead of the probable 8.

• Like 2

Mr. B!

The only crime vt will likely see is possibly paying 10 bucks for an ounce instead of the probable 8.

Wow, where did you get your happy? I'm definitely getting robbed! I'm paying 20us for what seems to be just under half an ounce, although I ain't complaining!

I'll get to that damn smoking bar tomorrow night and see what's on tap and prices.

My current bar girl is about 2 cents an ounce btw. ;) :D

• Like 1

Mr. B!

Thanks man, I am having a very nice time here. Luckily I've never run into anything here more sinister than being overcharged for something. I don't wear fancy clothes or rings, chains, or even a watch, and try to keep as low of a profile as a large white guy can in a southeast Asian city! Not attracting undue attention is always a good thing. I was pickpocketed years ago in Indonesia. Bit of a drag to replace the Visa card, but only lost 60 bucks. I guess I've been lucky.

Hope I just didn't jinx myself...oh oh.

• Like 2

Mr. B!

Wow, where did you get your happy? I'm definitely getting robbed! I'm paying 20us for what seems to be just under half an ounce, although I ain't complaining!

I'll get to that damn smoking bar tomorrow night and see what's on tap and prices.

I couldn't remember exactly what we paid. I just know that it was low as all hell. [Mainly, I wrote that to tell troutman that you likely haven't had and wouldn't have any crime problems].

The stuff certainly wasn't 8-10 U.S. but it might as well have been. It was about half an ounce and definitely no more than 20. I'd like to say around 15. That was 2007 though if it makes you feel better. We (2 out of 4 us from earlier posted pic) were like chimneys the whole time but we still had to throw away the rest because we were crossing the border into Saigon.

How much are Happy Pizzas these days anyway? I think they were $4-5 when I was there.

Current bar girl is about 2 cents an ounce? I think one of my pals went there while I was acquiring the half ounce purchase. :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Let's hope!

Oops...didn't bring the camera, just have the damn iPad.

You should have gotten the more expensive model that comes with a camera feature.
  • Like 1

Mr. B!

Bar girl? Is that like your own personal bartender or some thing else? :LOL:

• Like 1

Mr. B!

I couldn't remember exactly what we paid. I just know that it was low as all hell. [Mainly, I wrote that to tell troutman that you likely haven't had and wouldn't have any crime problems].

The stuff certainly wasn't 8-10 U.S. but it might as well have been. It was about half an ounce and definitely no more than 20. I'd like to say around 15. That was 2007 though if it makes you feel better. We (2 out of 4 us from earlier posted pic) were like chimneys the whole time but we still had to throw away the rest because we were crossing the border into Saigon.

How much are Happy Pizzas these days anyway? I think they were $4-5 when I was there.

Current bar girl is about 2 cents an ounce? I think one of my pals went there while I was acquiring the half ounce purchase. :P

Happy pizzas cost the same. Happy shakes are 2$. Already have gone through one packet of happy. :)

You bought a half-ounce of bargirl? I won't ask! :P

• Like 1

Let's hope!

You should have gotten the more expensive model that comes with a camera feature.

:D

I do have a camera on this damn thing, but am just uninspired/uninterested to drag it around...yet!

I prefer to leave the iPad at the hotel, then I can just head out with nothing other than a wallet and a happy feeling. ;)

Sorry Goose! I'll try harder!

Mr. B!

She's something else all right! ;) :LOL:

• Like 1

Mr. B!

She's something else all right! ;) :LOL:

:hail:

• Like 1

Mr. B!

Happy pizzas cost the same. Happy shakes are 2$. Already have gone through one packet of happy. :)

Nah, the half ounce I purchased was a plant, not human.

• Like 1

Let's hope!

:D

I do have a camera on this damn thing, but am just uninspired/uninterested to drag it around...yet!

I prefer to leave the iPad at the hotel, then I can just head out with nothing other than a wallet and a happy feeling. ;)

Sorry Goose! I'll try harder!

:cheers:
  • Like 1

Okay vt, your next set of questions (I haven't forgotten my first set that you said you'll answer in a few weeks)...

1) What did you eat for breakfast today?

2) Aside from any travel companions, who did you speak with today?

3) Look up from where you are at this very moment. What do you see?

• Like 1

Mr. B!

You bought a vegetable bar girl? Oh well, to each their own...

:LOL:

• Like 1

Mr. B!

You bought a vegetable bar girl? Oh well, to each their own...

:LOL:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/30/article-0-0D9E550B00000578-898_306x423.jpg

HOT!

• Like 1

Okay vt, your next set of questions (I haven't forgotten my first set that you said you'll answer in a few weeks)...

JB! What a fun thing to do! Thanks for your thoughtfulness and your interest in my little adventures. I'm buying you a bottle of something sometime!

1) For breakfast, I had a strange dish involving little pieces of chicken mixed with slimy pieces of eggplant and served with rice. It actually tasted pretty good, kind of smokey, and was perked up with the addition of a nice chilli sauce. Washed it down with a weak coffee. The little restaurant was playing Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew", which was unexpected and cool to hear with breakfast!

2) Today so far I've spoken with my two 'friends' at the front desk (who are very funny, and always a treat to talk with), an elevator full of Chinese tourists incongruously wearing straw hats, the server at my breakfast restaurant, a tuktuk driver on the street, a Khmer tourist in the elevator, and a very pretty Khmer lady stopped to talk to me on the street. She wanted to practice English and said several rapid and hilarious things before disappearing into a tuktuk. Oh yeah, I've also cursed at this iPad.

3) Hotel ceiling. White, with a recessed square containing lights and a non-functioning smoke detector. In a minute I will be out on the balcony with another balcony above me, but surrounded by blue sky.

I haven't forgotten about the smoking bar! Maybe tomorrow...Still doing extensive research on bargirl, and will see what develops, outside of an STD. :P

Khmer new year is this weekend. Looking forward to it. Heard a local band practicing the other night (from my balcony) so there should be some fun music at least! And probably lots of delicious food...

• Like 1

JB! What a fun thing to do! Thanks for your thoughtfulness and your interest in my little adventures. I'm buying you a bottle of something sometime!

1) For breakfast, I had a strange dish involving little pieces of chicken mixed with slimy pieces of eggplant and served with rice. It actually tasted pretty good, kind of smokey, and was perked up with the addition of a nice chilli sauce. Washed it down with a weak coffee. The little restaurant was playing Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew", which was unexpected and cool to hear with breakfast!

2) Today so far I've spoken with my two 'friends' at the front desk (who are very funny, and always a treat to talk with), an elevator full of Chinese tourists incongruously wearing straw hats, the server at my breakfast restaurant, a tuktuk driver on the street, a Khmer tourist in the elevator, and a very pretty Khmer lady stopped to talk to me on the street. She wanted to practice English and said several rapid and hilarious things before disappearing into a tuktuk. Oh yeah, I've also cursed at this iPad.

3) Hotel ceiling. White, with a recessed square containing lights and a non-functioning smoke detector. In a minute I will be out on the balcony with another balcony above me, but surrounded by blue sky.

I haven't forgotten about the smoking bar! Maybe tomorrow...Still doing extensive research on bargirl, and will see what develops, outside of an STD. :P

Khmer new year is this weekend. Looking forward to it. Heard a local band practicing the other night (from my balcony) so there should be some fun music at least! And probably lots of delicious food...

:cheers:

From the chili sauce to the pretty local practicing English, the broken smoke detector to the tuk tuk driver, all of that sounds pretty cool and familiar. Keep up the adventuring and I'll keep up my inquisition.

:hail:

• Like 1

Smoking bar: a report

So I finally dragged myself uptown to check out a smoking bar. Now, many of the bars here are tolerant of smoking (as long as you're not being an arsehole about it), but only a few sell to the customer. Last night I went to one of the most frequently mentioned ones and was a little let down. The bar was small and cosy, with reasonable decor, a wandering cat, and a friendly bar staff. This is not a bar girl bar btw, so no "hello darling, how are you?"

Anyhoo, I took a seat at the bar and ordered a tea (yes, a tea) and a "smoke with no tobacco" (they do sell blended smokes).

Pretty good sized reefer and only 2$, but on the mild side and probably a mix of bud and leaf. Ordered a second one, smoked most of that and then had a very nice hour long walk back to my hotel.

It was fun for the novelty of quasi-legally sitting in a bar and ordering and smoking reefers, but by the time I was feeling any sort of effect, I was tired of smoking, if that makes any sense.

They have a second bar in another location, so might check that out to see if quality is the same or better. Or maybe will find a different place. Just for scientific purposes of course.

So far, nothing beats smoking on my balcony with its great view, and icy vodka. It's the best bar in town!

• Like 1