Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Smoking bar: a report

So I finally dragged myself uptown to check out a smoking bar. Now, many of the bars here are tolerant of smoking (as long as you're not being an arsehole about it), but only a few sell to the customer. Last night I went to one of the most frequently mentioned ones and was a little let down. The bar was small and cosy, with reasonable decor, a wandering cat, and a friendly bar staff. This is not a bar girl bar btw, so no "hello darling, how are you?"

Anyhoo, I took a seat at the bar and ordered a tea (yes, a tea) and a "smoke with no tobacco" (they do sell blended smokes).

Pretty good sized reefer and only 2$, but on the mild side and probably a mix of bud and leaf. Ordered a second one, smoked most of that and then had a very nice hour long walk back to my hotel.

It was fun for the novelty of quasi-legally sitting in a bar and ordering and smoking reefers, but by the time I was feeling any sort of effect, I was tired of smoking, if that makes any sense.

They have a second bar in another location, so might check that out to see if quality is the same or better. Or maybe will find a different place. Just for scientific purposes of course.

So far, nothing beats smoking on my balcony with its great view, and icy vodka. It's the best bar in town!

Never bought any at a bar, just smoked there. But yeah, the balcony smoke with beverage (beer or some whiskey concoction is my choice) is the best spot. I'm missing traveling but I'm enjoying hearing of your exploits. They're taking me back to my own time there too :yes:

• Like 1

Sounds like you're living the dream, VT!

Well, I don't know about living THE dream, but I guess I'm living A dream, and that's pretty cool.

I'm a very lucky little biped to be in this position, although I must say that right now I have no interest in returning to Canada, work, the commute...perhaps my mind will be changed when this little sojourn/experiment is over.

I absolutely love it here. Nice people, nice warm temperature, getting some work done, good food, etc :smoke: :P

The only issue that I'm experiencing is that Khmer is a mildly fiendish language to learn. There are vowel and consonant sounds that don't exist in English, and are tricky to hear/say correctly. I still can't say "Phnom Penh" accurately. ("No, not Phnom 'pen': Phnom 'bpayne'!") I'm trying to memorize a few words a day, but the pronouciation is a stumbling block. Oh well, will keep trying!

Phnom Penh has almost emptied for Khmer New Year. I walked through one of the busiest intersections yesterday without breaking my stride, which was a very strange feeling! Things will return to normal tomorrow, when everyone comes back to the city after the holiday to their hometowns. Might take a wander up to Wat Phnom later (large temple on a small hill that Phnom Penh takes its name from) to see its statues and views, and get a good lungful of incense. Not sure about this evening's plan, although I think more research is needed on smoking bars...

• Like 2

Might take a wander up to Wat Phnom later (large temple on a small hill that Phnom Penh takes its name from) to see its statues and views, and get a good lungful of incense.

Looks beautiful...

http://www.cambodiaconsulate.ch/cms/upload/bilder/tourism/wat-phnom2.jpg

• Like 2

Might take a wander up to Wat Phnom later (large temple on a small hill that Phnom Penh takes its name from) to see its statues and views, and get a good lungful of incense.

Looks beautiful...

http://www.cambodiaconsulate.ch/cms/upload/bilder/tourism/wat-phnom2.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Goose! Would you care to be "official photo provider"? I can pay you in happy pizza or happy shakes. The shakes are very good and highly portable.

Scenario:

VT: One coconut happy shake to go please!

Shopkeep: That will be 2 dollars, sir.

VT: [jokingly] Do you deliver?

Shopkeep: [Deadpan] Yes, sir.

[VT exits slurping shake, weeping copiously with delight. Two hours later VT's eyes have become strangely small and everything is tinged with a wonderful glow. VT becomes trapped in the amber of Khmer karaoke videos and Jackie Chan movies.]

• Like 1

I wish I had more time in PP. I pretty much just did S-21, The Killing Fields, and the food/drink/smoke circuit. Looking back, I think my trip was a bit ambitious: Siem Reap/Angkor Wat, PP, then Saigon. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything but still, more time would've been...well...you know...
  • Like 2

I wish I had more time in PP. I pretty much just did S-21, The Killing Fields, and the food/drink/smoke circuit. Looking back, I think my trip was a bit ambitious: Siem Reap/Angkor Wat, PP, then Saigon. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything but still, more time would've been...well...you know...

You sound like someone who's contemplating a trip... ;)

Yeah, sometimes an itinerary can be too ambitious, but as long as you don't do a whole bunch of one-nighters, then at least you'll see a few things and have some decent memories of things other than hotel rooms and buses and line-ups into various sights.

Experimental bargirl becoming impatient with amount of time spent typing. Time to move!

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Yeah, sometimes an itinerary can be too ambitious, but as long as you don't do a whole bunch of one-nighters, then at least you'll see a few things and have some decent memories of things other than hotel rooms and buses and line-ups into various sights.

Experimental bargirl becoming impatient with amount of time spent typing. Time to move!

I'm supposed to head to the states this Thanksgiving for mom's birthday and...well, Thanksgiving. It'll be awesome of course and it'll be the first time for Mrs. B to even experience Thanksgiving so that's a cool thing for us both.

Still, I'm dying for a southeast Asian journey because I know how awesome it is there.

• Like 1

Ok, for my next inquiries, try these on for size vt:

1) What was the last thing you bought that wasn't food, drink, or Mary Jane or hash-based?

2) Asked in a non-sleezy way, what are you currently wearing?

3) What's on your itinerary in the next 120 minutes?

• Like 2

Thanks for the pic, Goose! Would you care to be "official photo provider"? I can pay you in happy pizza or happy shakes. The shakes are very good and highly portable.

Gladly!

:LOL:

• Like 1

I'm supposed to head to the states this Thanksgiving for mom's birthday and...well, Thanksgiving. It'll be awesome of course and it'll be the first time for Mrs. B to even experience Thanksgiving so that's a cool thing for us both.

Still, I'm dying for a southeast Asian journey because I know how awesome it is there.

I have 3 and a half weeks left in Cambodia. That's plenty of time for you to grab a cheap AirAsia flight (or whoever) and hook off a couple days of work to sample some of the myriad delights this place has to offer/de-stress/what-have-you.

Happy tacos on me!

The Last Temptation of JohnnyBlaze

• Like 2

Ok, for my next inquiries, try these on for size vt:

1) What was the last thing you bought that wasn't food, drink, or Mary Jane or hash-based?

2) Asked in a non-sleezy way, what are you currently wearing?

3) What's on your itinerary in the next 120 minutes?

I find it so cool that you're so interested as to pose these queries! You can add "Query Fellow" to your list of mad skillz (subtle Queen 2 reference).

1. I purchased entrance and 3-D glasses for awful VD movie (Vin Diesel). Other than that, I bought a Khmer dictionary. I'm not much of a shopper I guess! Probably will pick up a couple of books in the next few days.

2. Answered as sleazily as possible: baby, I'm wearing a comfy old shirt and a sarong right now, both purchased in Bali years ago. I'm just lounging around the hotel room, so no need for pants just yet. I'll be upgrading to a pair of shorts and nicer shirt after shower.

3. In the next 120 minutes I have to get cleaned up, pack, eat, check-out, and grab my ride to Kampong Cham, a large town on the Mekong about a 2 hour drive north from here. I also have to finish this post! Oh yeah, and as the Partridge Family extolled, I gotta get happy. :)

• Like 1

Kampong Cham looks amazing...

http://secretworldwiki.com/data_images/top_cityes/kampong-cham/kampong-cham-03.jpg

http://secretworldwiki.com/data_images/top_cityes/kampong-cham/kampong-cham-06.jpg

http://secretworldwi...mpong-cham.html

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/files/news/13357/1437057199.jpg

Stumbled across this ^^^. Is that a general regulation where you are?

Lol, I don't think so! Cigarettes are fairly popular here, especially with tourists, who enjoy stinking up the air at restaurants with cheap and dubious tobacco. I was in a Malay restaurant the other day that had no smoking signs all over the place. The owner was chain smoking underneath one of the signs. :D

I haven't noticed the smells of other combustibles, which is good. People tend to take care of their business in their room or at a tolerant bar.

As a non-cigarette smoker, I abstain from tobacco all day long. As a smoker of non-cigarettes, I enjoy several wee puffs throughout the day, but abstain when sleeping.

• Like 1

Kampong Cham looks amazing...

http://secretworldwiki.com/data_images/top_cityes/kampong-cham/kampong-cham-03.jpg

http://secretworldwiki.com/data_images/top_cityes/kampong-cham/kampong-cham-06.jpg

http://secretworldwi...mpong-cham.html

Goose, you're on me like white on rice! :LOL:

I clicked that link, and my hotel in Kampong Chan popped up! Not sure what I'll be doing with my 3 days there. I want to visit the local temple complex, Wat Nokor, and probably rent a bike and check out the bamboo bridge and island. Oh yeah, and eat lots of local food! Kampong Cham has a small Muslim population, so hopefully that means finding some delicious roti, or Nasi lemak. Yum yum yum yum yum!

• Like 1

I clicked that link, and my hotel in Kampong Chan popped up!

This place...?

16346680_x.jpeg

:drool:

$$$

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

This place...?

16346680_x.jpeg

$$$

Much of Southeast Asia is like that, 4-5 star hotel standards at 3 and often 2 star prices.

It's hard to get rid of my money down there! But I try! :LOL:

• Like 2

I have 3 and a half weeks left in Cambodia. That's plenty of time for you to grab a cheap AirAsia flight (or whoever) and hook off a couple days of work to sample some of the myriad delights this place has to offer/de-stress/what-have-you.

Happy tacos on me!

Unfortunately, Cambodia isn't exactly right down the block. I could probably fly from L.A. to NYC and BACK in the time it takes for a one rounder to Cambodia from here.

• Like 2

This place...?

16346680_x.jpeg

$$$

No, sorry to burst any bubbles! I'm staying at a place called Reasmey Chenich Hotel. The superior room with balcony, and something between a large bathtub and a plunge pool on said balcony for 30/night. Kinda cool, but definitely not 4 stars! Wait, I could and should be lying about all of this. Yes, I'm a high roller! Wait, that's kind of true...

• Like 2

Happy tacos on me!

Unfortunately, Cambodia isn't exactly right down the block. I could probably fly from L.A. to NYC and BACK in the time it takes for a one rounder to Cambodia from here.

Excuses, excuses...

Looks like many airlines have a one-stop 8-10 hour flight...just sayin'.

The Penultimate Temptation of Blaze

No worries JB, just kidding. You would seriously enjoy yourself here though, I'd guarantee it!

Kampong Cham is hot hot hot. Went to Wat Nokor earlier, which was amazing and kind of like one of the temples of Angkor but with hardly any tourists. Then to Phnom Bros/Srey, which involved a steep sweaty staircase, and many monks at the top who wanted to take selfies with the sweaty foreigner. :LOL:

Had Muslim breakfast: strong iced coffee with condensed milk, and a plate of rice with a piece of fried chicken on top. Served with a small dish of pickled vegetables on the side. Gonna try to find a good local Khmer restaurant this evening, and then off to a riverside skybar for a cocktail. Then back to the balcony bathtub/pool thing and perhaps something happy as I float my bloat.

• Like 2

Happy tacos on me!

Excuses, excuses...

Looks like many airlines have a one-stop 8-10 hour flight...just sayin'.

The Penultimate Temptation of Blaze

No worries JB, just kidding. You would seriously enjoy yourself here though, I'd guarantee it!

Kampong Cham is hot hot hot. Went to Wat Nokor earlier, which was amazing and kind of like one of the temples of Angkor but with hardly any tourists. Then to Phnom Bros/Srey, which involved a steep sweaty staircase, and many monks at the top who wanted to take selfies with the sweaty foreigner. :LOL:

Had Muslim breakfast: strong iced coffee with condensed milk, and a plate of rice with a piece of fried chicken on top. Served with a small dish of pickled vegetables on the side. Gonna try to find a good local Khmer restaurant this evening, and then off to a riverside skybar for a cocktail. Then back to the balcony bathtub/pool thing and perhaps something happy as I float my bloat.

Stop trying to mind control mental bullying me into flying down there. :P

Yeah, I KNOW I'd enjoy myself there. That's why not going is even more painful.

Hot hot hot doesn't bother me when I'm on vacation. It's wearing a suit or business clothes in hot hot weather (like here in summer) that annoys hell out of me.

• Like 1

I'm staying at a place called Reasmey Chenich Hotel. The superior room with balcony, and something between a large bathtub and a plunge pool on said balcony for 30/night. Kinda cool, but definitely not 4 stars! Wait, I could and should be lying about all of this. Yes, I'm a high roller! Wait, that's kind of true...

Is this the plunge pool thingy...?

photo0jpg.jpg

• Like 1