Frustration at work

Rod in Toronto

Congrats 'Rod in Transit'! I hope you'll enjoy the winters here, cause I sure don't!

My job is so full of rampant suckery these days that I'm contemplating 'early retirement' (ie: leaving) as well as a possible move.

It's just a fantasy right now to get me through these sour days, but I have sent an email to my admin officer asking about "exit strategies" etc.

Stress ain't worth it. In the last few years I've had four friends pass away just before they were able to retire, which is quite an eye-opener and gives one plenty of food for thought.

Stress sux, and people who cause stress suck even more. argh!

Get out of there while you can!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, JB! We´re quite excited about it - Stella´s pumped to the point where we even have to stop mentioning this move. On Saturday night, instead of going to bed, she started screaming "I don´t wanna sleep - I wanna go to Canada NOW!!!"

Stella is so much fun- Congrats, Rod !! And just in time for another spring and summer! My parents have traveled a lot in Canada (me just a little) and it is beautiful- Toronto has so much culture with its theaters and shows- it will be an awesome home for you guys.

Thanks!! We´re quite happy to be able to explore Toronto - we had to stop talking about it in front of the little one, as she seems to be too anxious about the whole thing. Of course we´re getting emotional about it. A move like that imposes a lot of losses in terms of friendships, and us being sentimental South americans, can´t help but feel bittersweet about it. But it´ll be good for the three of us to get a change of pace and environment. But hey, both our families took us to the airport when we moved to Australia in 2008, and all of us cried a lot, so I think this time we´ll avoid that.

• Like 1

So my job has been a frustrating ride since the very first day. The company I work for is a start-up in the oil business. It takes a while for plans to mature in the minds of the board of directors, and then it´s all guns blazing for a few weeks...then something goes wrong and the whole project is scrapped. I´m not involved in the major decisions, which increases the feeling of not being relevant.

We are in between projects right now, which means a lot of idle time. And I mean A LOT!!! It should be fun in theory, but you can only surf the net so much. And I need to keep apprearances too, and look busy enough so that I don´t get fired.

Anyway, I started in this job in January, and am only waiting to complete one year in the role to quit. I don´t think it´ll look good on my resume to stay less than one year in a job. But it´s getting SO annoying that I´ve started to count the days until I can quit: 48 days to go!

I thought you were moving to Canada?

I dunno yet...I´ll look for jobs in Procurement, but my main experience is in resources - mining, oil etc. In Toronto, I´m more likely to find something in construction or something else, since the resources sector is not that big there. Our other option was to go to Vancouver (nicer weather, I know...) but we have friends in Toronto who will help us settle down, so we decided to go there. If I was to chose what type of business I could pursuit, I´d do something that I can see meaning in doing. I thought about joining Doctors Without Borders - logistics and procurement are a huge gap in their organization, as far as I know. Or even something in recycling. But to move to another country and ALSO change my career this dramatically may be too much to do at once. So one thing at a time... Edited by Rod in Rio
  • Like 3

I guess we'll get no more beach pics from Rod. A year from now he'll be posting pics like...

http://jacksonholeartauction.com/media/images/art_large/hollebeke,_karin,_(1950-_),_the_trapper,_oil_on_canvas,_24_x_18.jpg

• Like 2

In 10 days, I will not have a job. :o

Two years ago, we were all given notice that our distribution center would be shut down in favor of a new super-center in Iowa. We were told Spring of 2017 would be the shut down time.

It is Spring of 2017 now, and we have about 10 days to go. Those of us who are staying until the very end are receiving a pretty good bonus as well as a full paycheck for every year that we have served. Many of the long-time employees are fairly anxious, and some have a LOT of work to do on their personalities (if they want to get a decent job!).

Me? I've had about ten jobs, so it's business as usual. I'm gonna wait until a real job offer comes along. No jumping at the first job posting I see. As I am 55 years young, I will be looking for my LAST job. Of course, my lottery tickets should hit this week, so I really have nothing to fear..... ;) ;)

Two years ago, we were all given notice that our distribution center would be shut down in favor of a new super-center in Iowa. We were told Spring of 2017 would be the shut down time.

It is Spring of 2017 now, and we have about 10 days to go. Those of us who are staying until the very end are receiving a pretty good bonus as well as a full paycheck for every year that we have served. Many of the long-time employees are fairly anxious, and some have a LOT of work to do on their personalities (if they want to get a decent job!).

Me? I've had about ten jobs, so it's business as usual. I'm gonna wait until a real job offer comes along. No jumping at the first job posting I see. As I am 55 years young, I will be looking for my LAST job. Of course, my lottery tickets should hit this week, so I really have nothing to fear..... ;) ;)

Good luck. I went through a lot of this in my twenties and have been at my current employer 25 years this November. Don't know what I'd do if I had to look. Last time I was looking you applied on paper; no internet, just the newspaper and friends unless you hired a headhunter.

• Like 3

Best of luck to you and your co workers! It's too bad you aren't closer to central Pennsylvania. We are full of distribution centers here including 2 Amazon ones. (Rumor is they handle big odd stuff like canoes! But if you order one of those it comes fast!) :D. :D

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that, PM...I hope you find something soon.

We reached the end of the VISA process this week, and the consulate asked for our passports to stamp the visas in them. I´ll quit my job soon!!!

• Like 3

I told my boss I need to go. He´ll find out if there´s a way for the company to fire me instead of me quitting. It makes a difference financially - I get a much bigger severance if the company fires me. I spoke with him early this morning - it´s 04pm and no response so far. But he was quite supportive of the idea of moving overseas. Now it´s a (different) waiting game, but just taking the weight off my back feels great!!!!
  • Like 5

I wish it was like that, but not this time...

giphy.gif

This reminds me of my first part time job in high school. On lunch break, my co-worker friends & I used to have competitions on who had the best Quitting The Job imitation. Some didn't look too dissimilar from that gif. :LOL:

• Like 1

I'm GLAD it's going so WELL for you and your family, Rod!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20riding%20on%20bouncyball.gif

• Like 1

Next Wednesday is my last day at work!!!

Awesome!

And the departing flight?

Between April 20th and April 25th. we haven´t booked it yet. The focus next week will be on selling the last pieces of furniture in our place.

• Like 4

Next Wednesday is my last day at work!!!

Cool, and congrats Rod! Good luck with the yard sale!

I spoke with my manager earlier today and she agreed to allow me to take some time off due to stress/losing my mind.

Hopefully will be booking a ticket next week and then heading back to Cambodia to see what's what. I'm pretty sure I'd like to live there, so this will be a dry-run of sorts.

It was very nice of my manager to do this for me, and I'm glad that I didn't have to make a snap "I quit" decision - which I was ready to give.

I feel better already!