Rush dont do covers but if they did what songs should they do?

Steve Smith

this doesn't actually qualify as a cover but it does kind of. I would have liked to see ged tour with the who.

That'd be alright. If not together then all of them could tour with their heroes...

Geddy with The Who, Alex touring with David Gilmour, and Neil touring the Macallan distillery in Moray, Scotland.

Sadly, probably only one-third of those will ever happen...and that same third probably already happened! A few times!!!!

Maybe Johnny but Geddy has a super high range. Listen to By Tor or Cygnus X1

Come on man I've listened to those tunes a billion times over by now. And they're still awesome. But it's not 1975 or '77 anymore. Truth is, Geddy's not even at 1990s Geddy vocals level anymore. And why would he be? Even that was so long ago.

• Like 1

Can I throw into the mix maybe - Once Around The World, by It Bites, I love It Bites, they threw away the book in the 80's by doing Genesis, Rush and Yes influenced original material, when that was unfashionable in the 80's. Anyone else here like or even remember them? They were guys from my part of the world in Northern England

Maybe Johnny, I understand what you are saying. But didnt Geddy try to curb the screaming high vocals only for the band to gain more mainstream sucess???? Look I bow to your superior knowledge of the band since 83 but my knowledge from the first album up until Signals is second to none. At one time I could play every Rush track on guitar up to MP when I was 17. What a sad loser I was ha ha ha!

Point taken but Plant cant sing the early songs and Steven Perry does not have the range he once did. I am sure Geddy can still hit the high notes. But if he cant then maybe you are right. The first track I heard Geddy sing well without screaming was "New World Man" and I think he has become a better singer for it.

Really nice to talk with you dude. Just so great to speak to a fellow fan even if we differ in opinion

• Like 1

Ok you will look it up so I may a well tell you. The album cover was a concept by Neil to try to illustrate how times and fashions come and go. At the time there was a post punk explosion of New Wave music especially in England and Europe. Neil just thought that everything goes in cycles and comes back to where it once started in any genre both in fashion and music. The pretty girl on the cover sports a hairstyle called a "Permanent Wave" which was very popular in the 1950's. The newspaper on the ground behind her is the New York Times from the 1953 US Presidential election. They famously ran the headline "Dewey defeats Truman" when in fact Harry Truman won the election. They got it wrong. Once word came about with the Rush album cover then the New York Times lawyers got in touch with the Rush management and threatened to sue. So that is why the lead story is blurred out on the Newspaper. Anyone who has the original cover with the headline is very lucky, it is a collectors item. Steve
  • Like 1

OK here is a nerdy question for you dude. Why are the very early releases of Permanent Waves on vinyl so collectable? (the first week of the release or so). Dont look on Google!!!!!

I remember talking about this to a teacher when I was in the 7th grade

"Dewey Defeats Truman" right ??

Yeh Lucas it was a total bollock by the New York Times. But just a tiny little part of the PW album cover must have still rilled them so much that they got the legal team on to Rush and censored it. I am actually surprised that Neil agreed as his ethos has always been free speech but a long drawn out legal battle would not have been any good for the band. Thanks for the message dude. Sorry but I am an old fart, yearn for the early days.

This was probably before you were born

Take care mine froind

Steve

• Like 1

Alex was using Marshalls in this clip. I think that he used them on 2112 still with his cherished Gibson 335.On All The Worlds a Stage Alex used his sunburst Les Paul and Marshalls I think. In the Guitar player magazine interview from 1980 he said that a PA cabinet fell on his 355 breaking the neck. After he had it repaired he would not take it out on the road again and retired it. I believe he switched to Hiwatts when he started using the Chorus/Echo effect circa 1977 for Farewell to Kings. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks Steve

Yeh Lucas it was a total bollock by the New York Times. But just a tiny little part of the PW album cover must have still rilled them so much that they got the legal team on to Rush and censored it. I am actually surprised that Neil agreed as his ethos has always been free speech but a long drawn out legal battle would not have been any good for the band. Thanks for the message dude. Sorry but I am an old fart, yearn for the early days.

This was probably before you were born

Take care mine froind

Steve

Steve, I was in the 7th grade when Permanent Waves came out, and the Dewey Defeats Truman headline was actually visible in a magazine ad - so I showed the teacher, as we had learned about it earlier ..

I cannot remember which magazine though .. Maybe Circus or Hit Parader ??

Here's the ad from Melody Maker, Jan 26, 1980

I don't think this was the publication I had, but the ad probably went out to a bunch of magazines ... Interesting stuff though

I've got the tour book, as I saw them in May 1980 ... I'll get that out and see if the headline is there

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/scans/Melody-Maker-PeW-Ad-01.26.1980.jpg

Edited by Lucas

It was Guitar Player magazine from 1980 with Alex on the front giving it his all on guitar in a pink Satin shirt ha ha. It also ran an interview with Geddy. I still have it, so glad I kept it. In my wardrobe in a plastic cover to keep it in good condition. Google - Guitar Player Rush 1980 and you wil see it

Lovely to talk with you mine froind XXX

Yes I remember the furore at the time. I dont think that Rush were seeking publicity, they dont need that. I just think that Neil and Hugh Syme wanted to make a statement. Actually Hugh was their artistic director and actually played synths on some earlier Rush tracks. God I am such an anorak!!!! sorry