What is it about Rush that made you stick with the band through thick and thin?

Lorraine

Those of you who have an emotional connection, if you don't mind telling what that is or why you have that emotional connection, please do.

In the mid nineties I was down and out,marriage bust up,broke,on the grog almost homeless living in an old hut.I virtually had nothing. I did have a boom box with a box of CDs and tapes.In it was all Rush up to Counterparts and Hendrix and Zep.I played the crap out of Counterparts because I lot of the lyrics resounded with my situation at the time.I still have that scratchy unplayable cd and boom box with blown speakers
  • Like 2

Those of you who have an emotional connection, if you don't mind telling what that is or why you have that emotional connection, please do.

In the mid nineties I was down and out,marriage bust up,broke,on the grog almost homeless living in an old hut.I virtually had nothing. I did have a boom box with a box of CDs and tapes.In it was all Rush up to Counterparts and Hendrix and Zep.I played the crap out of Counterparts because I lot of the lyrics resounded with my situation at the time.I still have that scratchy unplayable cd and boom box with blown speakers

I think it's wonderful how often music saves us rather than pushing us over the edge. Once you connect like that with a song/album, it will always be that way no matter how much time goes by. One note of the song and you're right back to that time and place.

:cheers:

I think it's wonderful how often music saves us rather than pushing us over the edge. Once you connect like that with a song/album, it will always be that way no matter how much time goes by. One note of the song and you're right back to that time and place.

The solo in Nobody's Hero still grabs me today.I love it when Alex plays one of those solos like Between the Wheels,Bravado or The Garden,solos that mean something not some wankfest.
  • Like 1

The solo in Nobody's Hero still grabs me today.I love it when Alex plays one of those solos like Between the Wheels,Bravado or The Garden,solos that mean something not some wankfest.

One thing about him. Other guitar players may be better, but Alex plays with emotion. I can't tell you how many Rush songs he has saved for me.

The first time I ever heard Xanadu, it was a bootleg from Alex's scanner. So, all I heard was Alex's guitar. I listened to it over and over and over. It was the most incredible thing I had ever heard.

• Like 2

One thing about him. Other guitar players may be better, but Alex plays with emotion. I can't tell you how many Rush songs he has saved for me.

The first time I ever heard Xanadu, it was a bootleg from Alex's scanner. So, all I heard was Alex's guitar. I listened to it over and over and over. It was the most incredible thing I had ever heard.

Thats it Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

Alien, were you at the June 30, 1997 concert at the Molson Amphitheatre?

No, sadly (or happily) those were the "young kids" days for me and my wife, and the little free time I had was devoted to my own band!

I did, however, manage to see them at the Molson Amphitheatre for the Vapour Trails tour!!!

• Like 1

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

:popcorn:

I'm crawling out of my Rush Cave for this one.

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

The "Test For Echo" album was thin for me too, but it blows "VAPOR" away.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

I was so upset about the lack of guitar parts I cried.

Alas, I learned to love that record.

The synth years were great.

I love every record. PERFECT.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

RUSH IS THE GREATEST FUCKKING BAND EVER CREATED!

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

I SHALL NEVER LIE!!!!!!!!!

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

FAIR-WEATHER FANS PLEASE "EXIT STAGE LEFT" FUCKKING PRONTO.

ADIOS POSERS!

I'm proud to say on a public forum that I spent a ton of money on MY BAND.

I toured the nation over 30 years to see MY BAND.

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I had my Tower Records.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

You fuckking kids who read my blather and banter have no clue.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Together I will stand for MY BAND.

You guys and gals continue to write stupid threads about OUR BAND.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Quoth the raven NEVERMORE.

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Earl, go back into your cave.

WOW! A rude comment from you? Of all people on here. Umm, you aren't my mommy or a mod. Plato's Cave would be a wonderful place for you "Old And Wise" one. Alan Parsons

I've been watching an interview that Rhyv posted in the Gush thread (https://www.youtube....ayer_detailpage). In the interview, Geddy and Alex talk about how hard it was for them to get it together after not playing as a band for almost five years. Then, they are asked about their fan base, and Geddy's answer prompted this thread which, I suppose, is mostly for veteran Rush fans although anyone can throw in their two cents.

What is it about Rush that you love so much that has made you stand by and stick with them for forty plus decades, and has caused so many of you to spend any amount of money, and travel any distance, just so you could see them live?

As it is true I have ripped "Vapor Trails" in the past when it came out I was so excited! Just like a little boy getting his first KISS album under the Christmas tree in 1976!

The waiting during Neil's well need sabbatical from the band was very thin for me.

Anyway, I was one of the forum members on here who couldn't get enough of "Snakes And Arrows."

I hate the Clockwork Angels lame ass orchestra in their stupid black and gold logo shirts designed by Neil himself. So dumb.

I even remember buying "Signals" on cassette when it came on on new release day at Rainbow Records.

So that being said. There isn't one band on Mother Earth who can remain perfect and consistent through their temporary life span. To remain "immortal for a limited time" in the studio is more probable.

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

ADIOS POSERS!

Don't give a shit.

I couldn't wait for any new release by MY BAND. Couldn't wait to hear Neil's drumming! I was so excited to see the new art work. To hold it in my hand and embrace it.

To sit in my car in the Tower Records parking lot after midnight and blast it!!!!

Mesmerized. Tears in my eyes. Bliss. Like a first kiss. Fireworks. The sensation in my gut forever would lurk.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

So glad I was able to spend the night in line at Tower Records or The Wherehouse to get my Rush tickets.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Earl, go back into your cave.

WOW! A rude comment from you? Of all people on here. Umm, you aren't my mommy or a mod. Plato's Cave would be a wonderful place for you "Old And Wise" one. Alan Parsons

:LOL:

Yes, Earl.

• Like 1

THROUGH THICK OR THIN

THROUGH SAINT OR SIN

THROUGH THE CAMERA EYE

RUSH FUCKKING RULES!

ADIOS POSERS!

Don't give a shit.

I'm so glad I'm 48.

To me that is sad.

But life goes on.

Thick and Thin?

No way man.

Dumb.

But good luck.

RUSH RULES FOREVERMORE!

Edgar Allan Poe?

Fukk man,

I'm "LOSING IT!"

Of course Earl has his own way to speak up here, but what he means in the end is: how he loves Rush and what Neil means to him.

More: it's his deep love for good music and communicating others about it.

He writes in a provocative way to certain people.

Whatever the reason, he's just getting some fun of it.

I don't know him.

But I perceive he's more commited to music than almost anything else in this world.

It's something beyond.

Earl, you studied each song, note by note. Watched and learned from each Neil's movements and listened to them A LOT before start something.

You surely had you great memorable times and luckily had chances to feel their music in your veins.

Electric storm in your veins. :LOL:

His love for :rush: is experience to the extremes!

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

Alex Lifeson. He continues to write interesting parts.

More than anyone else, he is the SOUND of Rush. So much of his work catches my ear - from Anthem to Anarchist.

He can make the clunkiest Rush arrangement sound smooth and complex.

• Like 2

More than anyone else, he is the SOUND of Rush. So much of his work catches my ear - from Anthem to Anarchist.

I love him too.

On top of his creativity, he appears to be the most down to earth and affable of the three.

• Like 1

I love him too.

On top of his creativity, he appears to be the most down to earth and affable of the three.

Alex is surely my favorite bandmember.

His guitar notes ressonate to whoever wants to hear and he keeps reasearching different ways to play and specialized himself in unique style.

One perceives his inspirations, but there's no copy, at all.

And honestly, I don't consider him underrrated.

He's beloved on Rush Fans hearts.

And his technique is quite impressive.

His guitar play is very envolving and keeps rythm on the right space and time, with beautiful colors and sounds.

I wish to meet him someday.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

I think some of the emotional connection that people have is just because they've been around so long. They've been around the majority of my life and to still be a fan after 40 years is amazing. Of anything. Everyone has their ups and downs in life and music is always comforting especially during the down times. Their music is very timeless too which means it doesn't really sound dated because they didn't fall into the sound/style trap that so many bands did.
  • Like 1

I think some of the emotional connection that people have is just because they've been around so long. They've been around the majority of my life and to still be a fan after 40 years is amazing. Of anything. Everyone has their ups and downs in life and music is always comforting especially during the down times. Their music is very timeless too which means it doesn't really sound dated because they didn't fall into the sound/style trap that so many bands did.

They're humans, but they held on!

After all this time and still, they're friends.

Your post is quite comforting. :cheers:

• Like 1

I never thought i'd give you a new thread idea.

Although it's good to read this.

You've got creative ideas about threads and a kind writing here too.

It's quite interesting reading your words, most times.

Hey! I'm an Italian descendant too. I don't follow Italian tradition, but I do respect it.

:rush: Has numerous fans around the world, and more fans they've got, better it is!

Maybe someday they'll be back. Maybe not.

Whatever happens, this thread was a great idea.

Let's keep the gush going, anyway.

Everyone has a reason to love RUSH, as everyone has a reason to live by.

:hi:

Edited by rhyv

Wow, I guess I got so used to seeing the Vapor Trails CD cover, I totally forgot that Rush used the American spelling of the word "vapor", which is totally cool given Americans buying Rush albums is the main reason they're where they are today. I guess I never really thought about it :eh:

In Canada we spell words like color, labor, honor, etc. as colour, labour, and honour, i.e. we still use British spellings. When guitar god Vernon Reid formed "Living Colour", technically an American band, he spelt the band name with the "u" because he was born in Britain. Go figure!

Another point is that i have seen rush many times and i like how they do set lists. Always a good mix of classics and the new release they were touring
  • Like 1

What drew me to RUSH? Incredible musicianship. What kept me with them? Their sincerity and sense of humor...and amazing live performances, of course. It's rare to find something as dependable as RUSH...as enduring. And I'm thankful for it.

:haz: :7up: :rush: :7up: :haz:

Edited by goose
  • Like 3