Roll The Bones: September 3, 1991 B-DAY

robertrobyn

I remember 25 years ago today- I remember where I bought it...I remember being a little bit underwhelmed by it at first, honestly. It was very modern, in a different way from the '80s albums. But then it also had a little more strongly guitar-based sound- a little more- than the mid/late '80s albums...and then there was the rap, of course, which was a huge to-do, at the time. I always liked the song, and I still do.

I don't listen to it often, but I've come to regard it as a really strong album. I've always liked it, but these days, and actually for the past couple of years, I really really like it! (I just listened to it a couple of days ago, incidentally

Happy birthday Roll the Bones!

:rush:

• Like 6

I remember 25 years ago today- I remember where I bought it...I remember being a little bit underwhelmed by it at first, honestly. It was very modern, in a different way from the '80s albums. But then it also had a little more strongly guitar-based sound- a little more- than the mid/late '80s albums...and then there was the rap, of course, which was a huge to-do, at the time. I always liked the song, and I still do.

I don't listen to it often, but I've come to regard it as a really strong album. I've always liked it, but these days, and actually for the past couple of years, I really really like it! (I just listened to it a couple of days ago, incidentally

Happy birthday Roll the Bones!

:rush:

Well Said!
  • Like 1

Definitely not in my Top 5 but I like it all the same.

I'm going to go heavy on a few radio specials this weekend to relive the experience.

In the early days with Atlantic, the label really were in their corner and people became aware that they were still around 10 years after Moving Pictures.

This album was in my truck's CD player for a couple months nonstop in 2012

At some point I think I even stopped skipping YBYL

That last song is the only one I wish they'd left off.

Nine songs, 43 minutes would have been just as fine!

A lot of people don't like it but I do.I find it is an album to put on in the background when guests are around ,you couldn't do that with COS or VT,or to crank it up to test your speakers.

Liked it from the first listen, although the rap section did throw me. I have gotten used to it but to be honest I still don't quite like that part. Dreamline and Bravado are my favorites. I usually have a pretty emotional reaction to Bravado.
  • Like 1

Liked it from the first listen, although the rap section did throw me. I have gotten used to it but to be honest I still don't quite like that part. Dreamline and Bravado are my favorites. I usually have a pretty emotional reaction to Bravado.

I'm always disappointed when I hear Bravado on that record because my first inclination is always to reach for a live version somewhere. (I loved Ruppert's work with The Fixx, but the guy was oh for two with Rush albums.) The ending jam is to die for. One of the best outros the band ever did.

It still stuns me this album debuted at Number 3. Where did all of those Rush fans come from all of a sudden? Was this the third wave?

• Like 1

I'm always disappointed when I hear Bravado on that record because my first inclination is always to reach for a live version somewhere. (I loved Ruppert's work with The Fixx, but the guy was oh for two with Rush albums.) The ending jam is to die for. One of the best outros the band ever did.

It still stuns me this album debuted at Number 3. Where did all of those Rush fans come from all of a sudden? Was this the third wave?

Yeah I agree that the live versions can be better at times. My favorite live version of Bravado is the one on Different Stages.

I like the songwriting on RTB...it starts out very stong with Dreamline/Bravado/RTB/WMT and GOAC but I think it's actually Alex's worst or at least weakest "guitar" album in terms of presence in the mix and tone out of all of them, even HYF believe it or not. Some songs it almost sounds like he forgot to turn his amp on with that light wimpy jangle-ey sound (YBYL and studio RTB come to mind for examples)

If only we could've had the crunchy tone and production of Counterparts with the earlier song writing and lyrics of RTB.....

• Like 1

I think Rupert did a better job on Presto than with the more involved intricate RTB songs. Just my opinion.

I like the songwriting on RTB...it starts out very stong with Dreamline/Bravado/RTB/WMT and GOAC but I think it's actually Alex's worst or at least weakest "guitar" album in terms of presence in the mix and tone out of all of them, even HYF believe it or not. Some songs it almost sounds like he forgot to turn his amp on with that light wimpy jangle-ey sound (YBYL and studio RTB come to mind for examples)

If only we could've had the crunchy tone and production of Counterparts with the earlier song writing and lyrics of RTB.....

Oh, I have to respectfully disagree about Alex's guitar sound. Yes, it was different, of course, from the direction they went starting with Counterparts. But man, I love that PRC era. I like the guitar work on RTB better than on Presto, overall.

Listen to Face Up, and Dreamline, and Where's My Thing...Ghost of a Chance, Neurotica...

:guitar:

I just don't see 'different' as being an automatic negative, that's all.

Oh, I have to respectfully disagree about Alex's guitar sound. Yes, it was different, of course, from the direction they went starting with Counterparts. But man, I love that PRC era. I like the guitar work on RTB better than on Presto, overall.

Listen to Face Up, and Dreamline, and Where's My Thing...Ghost of a Chance, Neurotica...

:guitar:

I just don't see 'different' as being an automatic negative, that's all.

I don't mind the notes and chords he's playing, it's just that it's mostly so buried in the mix with a thin non-aggressive tone....

I think Rupert did a better job on Presto than with the more involved intricate RTB songs. Just my opinion.

Probably, but even there the live performances magnify the power. There was a time I would lie awake at night wondering how awesome Available Light would be live.

• Like 1