Devin Townsend Thread

I figured Devin is worthy of his own topic since this man keeps producing quality music almost every year. He covers country, extreme metal, ambient music, prog, and pop metal. He's even planning on doing an Opera or something next year. Is anyone else here a fan?

I like his stuff. Not really a fan, but there's a lot of creativity (and sometimes wit) in his work. I have the live album from his last tour and select prior albums. They don't get much attention due to the constant influx of new music.

Can't wait for the new album. And I wish I could go and see the tour since it's with BTBAM and Fallujah. Unfortunately there's a certain large body of water separating us :(

Last tour he did a UK/Europe tour a few months later

Can't wait for the new album. And I wish I could go and see the tour since it's with BTBAM and Fallujah. Unfortunately there's a certain large body of water separating us :(

Last tour he did a UK/Europe tour a few months later

Nice :) them three bands are an absolutely amazing line up though and I don't think they'll keep the same support for a European tour

Just gave Townsend a first go with Ocean Machine on Union's advice, and thoroughly enjoyed. :cheers:

♫♫

That one's a great album. That, Terria and Addicted (which is from his Devin Townsend Project monicker) would be my three favorite Devin Townsend albums.

• Like 2

Devin Townsend is the man. He has a staggering amount of great music in the last 20 years, and while metal is his main go-to genre, he can do various other genres pretty well, too. More love needs to be shown for him. :notworthy:

I see Devin as a sort of "good metal" standard-bearer right now. While you can argue his stuff is proggish, it's also very accessible killer riffage much of the time. I think he elevates the metal genre in a way few others have. The fact he puts on great, bombastic shows makes him one of the more public faces for the genre as well. Thank god he seems like a nice, relatively humble guy! ;) [at least the interviews and little segments I've seen or heard]

That said, I don't find his music to be something I enjoy with repeated listens like I do other bands. You kinda get the point with the first time hearing a song, there's not a lot of nuance to keep me coming back dozens of times to a track.

Hmmm, I cannot agree with that at all. I think a lot of songs have a lot of subtle nuances that don't always show themselves on a first listen. His wall of sound can sometimes be a tough barrier to break through, but I was just listening to Casualties of Cool the other day and noticed a few things I had never had before, and I've listened to that record a ton since its release. As always, it all depends on the listener.

For me, I am not even that big of a metal guy, but there's just something about Devin's music that is pretty amazing. The fact that he's about the coolest guy in the industry sure does make it easy to be a fan.

Hmmm, I cannot agree with that at all. I think a lot of songs have a lot of subtle nuances that don't always show themselves on a first listen. His wall of sound can sometimes be a tough barrier to break through, but I was just listening to Casualties of Cool the other day and noticed a few things I had never had before, and I've listened to that record a ton since its release. As always, it all depends on the listener.

For me, I am not even that big of a metal guy, but there's just something about Devin's music that is pretty amazing. The fact that he's about the coolest guy in the industry sure does make it easy to be a fan.

Terria is also jam packed with little flourishes here and there that I continue to discover today

• Like 1

Terria is also jam packed with little flourishes here and there that I continue to discover today

Hell yeah!

For my money, Terria is not only Devin's best work, but one of the best albums ever by anyone. It's the perfect road trip record.

• Like 1

Fair enough, I've generally only listened to his stuff in the car so it's feasible the little things are overlooked. I've also only heard his last 2 albums from beginning to end more than a couple times, and his other material maybe once or twice. Usually if there's something 'there' I'll go back, and I did with the last two albums, but after a half dozen listens... lost interest. But I like it more than most of the other metal out there. He straddles that line between (mainstream?) metal and progressive metal, and I've been on a prog metal kick mostly the past few years. Edited by stoopid

See, I tend to prefer metal artists who dip their foot into prog here and there, like Devin and Opeth (although Opeth is in the deep end now, while chucking a lot of the metal), as opposed to full fledged prog metal bands (with a few exceptions), so for me Devin manages to straddle the line perfectly.

I would tell anyone to avoid Z2 like the plague; the Ziltoid sequel just isn't that good. I put it down there with Physicist as really his only "solo" albums I do not care for.

For my money, his best albums are Terria and Addicted, while Ghost, Infinity, Sky Blue, Epicloud, Accelerated Evolution, Casualties of Cool, Synchestra and Ki are all outstanding as well. I am on an island regarding Ocean Machine, which everyone seems to adore, but I merely like.

• Like 1

Synchestra is great, but I do feel like it meanders a bit near the end. Everything up until Pixillate is great, but it loses its way until Notes from Africa kicks in. I think it's a good starter CD for anyone who has never heard Devin, though.