Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

Any one watch any of the Phoenix Open?

I had it on for a bit last night. Wasn't really watching it too intently though. Saw that 19 year old from OK State and he looked pretty good.

I was also watching the European tourney in Saudi Arabia as i really like to see the different international courses.

a6abcd65a6c803a652619eaabc0b048d.jpg

Edited by Mithrandir

Phoenix isn't my favorite tournament. I hate the 16th, which seems to celebrate boorish behavior.

The course, in general, seems too easy. Not very interesting to watch.
  • Like 1

Just saw this story on the new rule about caddies not being able to help line a player up. Application of the rule - letter vs. intent - is getting tricky...

https://www.sbnation...-mccarthy-video

"Some players, especially in the LPGA" are having their caddies stand behind them to help line up their putts?

Sounds like an egregious example of caddysplaining to me.

Phoenix isn't my favorite tournament. I hate the 16th, which seems to celebrate boorish behavior.

Spot on and the NBC hype machine turns me off to it even more. The event is near the bottom for me as far as "regular" events go...
  • Like 2

Just saw this story on the new rule about caddies not being able to help line a player up. Application of the rule - letter vs. intent - is getting tricky...

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/golf/2019/2/2/18208001/new-golf-rules-alignment-penalty-denny-mccarthy-video

If you ever watch the ladies tour you know this is why they put this rule in to begin with. I have complained to myself many times in the past about them standing behind them what seems like forever. "Aiming" is a huge part of a golfers skill set. The rule had zero to do with men's golf and they are trying to apply it to them. What happened to Li was criminal...
  • Like 1

Anybody see this ruling on Fowler going on? What an utter joke!! Good grief...

I actually fell asleep. What happened?

Anybody see this ruling on Fowler going on? What an utter joke!! Good grief...

I actually fell asleep. What happened?

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-rd-3-talks-rulings

Video: Fowler talks rules: 'Might be one of the stupidest rules I've ever heard'

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/03/rickie-fowler-loses-huge-lead-triple-bogey-rare-ruling/

Rickie Fowler loses huge lead, makes triple-bogey 7 after rare ruling

Rickie Fowler struck a bad chip and then was dealt with some terrible luck during the final round of the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Sunday.

Fowler led by four to begin the day and increased his lead to five standing on the 11th tee, but then disaster struck. He was short of the green in two on the par-4 11th, but his third shot ran through the green and into the water.

Preparing to play his fifth shot, Fowler dropped his ball, but due to the slope and rainy conditions it didn’t stay on the bank. He was then allowed to place it, which he did, before walking up the bank toward the green and assessing his next shot. As Fowler was on the green his ball rolled back into the water on its own, but since it was in play and had previously come to rest, he was still assessed a penalty stroke.

rickie-fowler.jpg

• Like 1

The course, in general, seems too easy. Not very interesting to watch.

It wasn't easy on Sunday. Best round was a 68. Although it was raining pretty hard.

Yeah, the weather made it tough Sunday.

Not a fan of pro ams in general and really don't like them when they are spread out over multiple courses...

RIP Gene Littler. I don't remember him that well, but I do remember him, mostly as a short hitter, though those memories are foggy, and could very well be wrong.

:rose:

• Like 1

RIP Gene Littler. I don't remember him that well, but I do remember him, mostly as a short hitter, though those memories are foggy, and could very well be wrong.

He was still playing good golf when I started following golf in the 70's but was definitely on the back end of his career. A famous name in the professional game and very good player. 89 years ain't a bad run...RIP
  • Like 1

He was still playing good golf when I started following golf in the 70's but was definitely on the back end of his career. A famous name in the professional game and very good player. 89 years ain't a bad run...RIP

JB Holmes sinks the 15-footer to salvage an up and down par to fend off a Justin Thomas birdie and keep a one stroke lead going into 17.

After JT pulls his drive behind a tree, JB finds the left side of the fairway...and the driver's seat.

Edited by goose

JT gets out from the trees, hits an approach to 10' for axbirdie chance. Meanwhile JB knocks a long first putt ten feet past, misses that, and taps in.

JT, with reads from both JB and Adam Scott (showing a very fast putt), babies it, which allows it to dive right just before the cup.

No blood, and JB stays 1-up.

Edited by goose

Both JT & JB nut their drives on 18. Away, Adam Scott puts it to 15' left of the pin. JB hits it to the green, but short right (a spot from where Bubba 4-putted earlier in the tourney). JT gets his left and 15 feet past the pin, which should be an east two putt at worst...

With the pin in (love this rule change), JB knocks a great putt to gimme range. Maybe good for JT, who is free to for it now...

JT chooses a straight line, but doesn't hit it firm enough to take the breal out, and the putt dives left.

JB, who nearly gave it away on #11, survives and puts in the three footer to win. Congrats!!!

• Like 1

I have to admit I haven't watched much more than the majors the last few years. Could someone explain these WGC tournaments and how they relate (if at all) to the rest of the tour stops?

Thanks in advance.