Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-2018-results-final-score-patrick-reed-new-york-times-jordan-spieth-a8562646.html%3famp

Patrick Reed blasts Furyk, Spieth in post-loss interview, saying it was mistake to sit him this year, and saying Spieth's ego prevented a reboot of the successful Spieth-Reed pairing of the past.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-2018-results-final-score-patrick-reed-new-york-times-jordan-spieth-a8562646.html%3famp

Patrick Reed blasts Furyk, Spieth in post-loss interview, saying it was mistake to sit him this year, and saying Spieth's ego prevented a reboot of the successful Spieth-Reed pairing of the past.

Big baby. I am assuming Tiger actually wanted to play with Reed or it wouldn't have happened. He certainly didn't help Tiger much...
  • Like 1

https://www.google.c...562646.html?amp

Big baby. I am assuming Tiger actually wanted to play with Reed or it wouldn't have happened. He certainly didn't help Tiger much...

Dude was spraying it like no other. Not. Even. Close.
  • Like 1

What's with the trend where some (albeit it still looks like a minority) are putting with the flagstick in? Jason Dufner was, is this some sort of analytics based thing?

What's with the trend where some (albeit it still looks like a minority) are putting with the flagstick in? Jason Dufner was, is this some sort of analytics based thing?

It is. Dave Pelz the legendary short game guru did some testing a while back and said it's an advantage to putt with it in. As a player for many years I see it it helping very infrequently on a putt traveling too fast dead center. The broader advantage I see is giving a player something more substantial to focus on or aim for for lack of better terminology. Bryson Dechambeau thinks it helps and he is about the deepest thinker out there so there's that...
  • Like 2

It is. Dave Pelz the legendary short game guru did some testing a while back and said it's an advantage to putt with it in. As a player for many years I see it it helping very infrequently on a putt traveling too fast dead center. The broader advantage I see is giving a player something more substantial to focus on or aim for for lack of better terminology. Bryson Dechambeau thinks it helps and he is about the deepest thinker out there so there's that...

Thanks, I thought I'd heard about it first wrt DeChambeau but I only caught the end of the comment so i wasn't completely sure.

Thanks, I thought I'd heard about it first wrt DeChambeau but I only caught the end of the comment so i wasn't completely sure.

I have really enjoyed watching Dechambeau's rise to stardom and the very different way he goes about things. I never thought I would be a fan of his but there is something truly refreshing about someone who thinks outside the box and does things differently than anyone else. In the age of cookie cutter swings and equipment he is very different in his approach. The fact that my dad is a physicist and he's a physics major may have something to do with it as well...
  • Like 3

I love that golf is changing some of the less consequential rules that only serve to slow down the game. Pulling the pin on all putts is one of those rules that needed to go.
  • Like 2

I love that golf is changing some of the less consequential rules that only serve to slow down the game. Pulling the pin on all putts is one of those rules that needed to go.

I didn't know it was a rule change, I just thought it (pulling the pin) was something that was just considered beneficial to the putter.

I have really enjoyed watching Dechambeau's rise to stardom and the very different way he goes about things. I never thought I would be a fan of his but there is something truly refreshing about someone who thinks outside the box and does things differently than anyone else. In the age of cookie cutter swings and equipment he is very different in his approach. The fact that my dad is a physicist and he's a physics major may have something to do with it as well...

I root for him.

I didn't know it was a rule change, I just thought it (pulling the pin) was something that was just considered beneficial to the putter.

It was a 2-stroke penalty or loss of hole.
  • Like 1

What a breathtakingly stupid rule.

Yep. No idea why it was a rule at all.
  • Like 1

I think it was understood that leaving the pin in is an advantage.

But it is an advantage for everybody.

Yep. It does expand the scope of "makeable putt" for a given hole, though.

But again, for everybody.

What's your point? That rules apply to everyone?

My point is that i have no idea why you mentioned that leaving the pin in is an advantage as it related to being a rule of golf. So the golf gods just wanted the game to be more difficult, so they made it a rule?

My point is that i have no idea why you mentioned that leaving the pin in is an advantage as it related to being a rule of golf.

With a fiberglass flagstick, a firmer putt made with the flag in is more likely to go in vs the same putt without the flagstick. The advantage exists between the two putts. Assuming that the excessive speed was unintended, the player who putts with excessive speed in error and uses the flagstick has a slim advantage over the player who does not use the flagstick.
  • Like 1