Is Rock In Its Final Decade?

Lorraine

Sometimes I hate posting things because so much is read into it that wasn't intended. :sigh:

Mick, I'm not saying my generation produced the greatest, but we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for three men who are over sixty.

And who mentioned nostalgia?

• Like 1

never forget........sometimes one must go beyond the mainstream to strike gold.

Which is possible.......most people just become lazy.........and sink into.......ahhh the old days, lol

It's true, lol

Mick

I find myself falling into the "ahh the old days" a little more often than I used to the last couple of years. I still try my best to keep up on what's new in the rock/metal genre as best I can. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying the old favorites as much as you can.

Also, I love a lot of old school bands exactly the same as I do those of my actual era.

It's really sad to me that I will never see Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Yes, Rush, Kansas, Foreigner or Fleetwood Mac during their prime.

It can feel bittersweet!

Take, for example, Springsteen. Sure, his music is at its oldest over forty years old. But I have said many times, I love and follow these albums and bands as if I had been there myself to witness them released. They are the sound of my youth, but to know deep down that I am too young to have really experienced the hype, the furore, and the laying down of history as it happened it something that really is sad to me.

• Like 1

I was thinking.......now nobody get offended...........I never bought into your own Decade was the best thing........maybe because i never really liked what was mainstream in the 90's. there was great music in the 90's sure.......but my decade ain't my fav.

hell Crap abounds in EVERY Decade somewhere, lol Nostolga will blind you. and kill you, lol

Mick

Says the thirty year old. I'd tell you to check back with me in thirty years, but I'll be dead.

Sometimes I hate posting things because so much is read into it that wasn't intended. :sigh:

Mick, I'm not saying my generation produced the greatest, but we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for three men who are over sixty.

And who mentioned nostalgia?

Lorraine i was not picking on you.

i was just making some points.

You are not wrong.......and maybe i will be where you are down the road.

But i will never stop chasing the music.

Mick

• Like 2

I was thinking.......now nobody get offended...........I never bought into your own Decade was the best thing........maybe because i never really liked what was mainstream in the 90's. there was great music in the 90's sure.......but my decade ain't my fav.

hell Crap abounds in EVERY Decade somewhere, lol Nostolga will blind you. and kill you, lol

Mick

Says the thirty year old. I'd tell you to check back with me in thirty years, but I'll be dead.

nice.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

You have to remember, Lorraine, the music of his generation really was horrid in comparison to yours. He has the past to love, and the post nineties era, but he didn't bond with his generation the way you did yours. And neither did I, to be truly honest.

• Like 5

Mick

You have to remember, Lorraine, the music of his generation really was horrid in comparison to yours. He has the past to love, and the post nineties era, but he didn't bond with his generation the way you did yours. And neither did I, to be truly honest.

Correct. I could only look back. And say wow that was great. i probly would be saying the same stuff had i been in the trenches. but i really disliked my era. and really feel things have picked up since.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Correct. I could only look back. And say wow that was great. i probly would be saying the same stuff had i been in the trenches. but i really disliked my era. and really feel things have picked up since.

Mick

I like a lot of nineties music, but to be honest it was dreck.

I started getting into grunge at one point in my teens, before I came to the conclusion most of it was just your basic poorly produced pop rock, with forced whiny lyrics. Some notable exceptions, but it dominated that era! I do like a lot of nineties rnb, soul, and indie, and a few scenes like the early emo bands, the emergence of Gothic metal and bands like Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Third Eye Blind and others.

But I don't really envy you for that time period for music (now, nineties cinema on the other hand...).

• Like 2

Mick

Yeah, I didn't care for most of the stuff that was popular back in the 90s either. I guess since I was in high school then that would be considered "my day?" I liked Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots. That was about it when it came to the really popular bands to come out of the decade. The 90s had a lot of garbage that was popular and my mind was happy to be trapped in the 80s loving my metal.

• Like 1

Mick

This thread is turning into what I never intended the thread to be - my vs. your music generation.

My question is: for every "David Bowie" that dies and will die within a decade or so, is there anyone/are there many in the younger generation to replace them of the same stature?

Personally, I think what killed rock music is the industry itself, not that there is a lack of talent. Always there are talented people, but the chances for success today aren't the same as they were decades ago it seems.

• Like 3

Mick

Yeah, I didn't care for most of the stuff that was popular back in the 90s either. I guess since I was in high school then that would be considered "my day?" I liked Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots. That was about it when it came to the really popular bands to come out of the decade. The 90s had a lot of garbage that was popular and my mind was happy to be trapped in the 80s loving my metal.

My teens were dominated by these bands, who were all massive in their respective fields (or just emerged at that time):

Lacuna Coil

Within Temptation

Nightwish

Mastodon

Khoma

Thrice

The Juliana Theory

Opeth

Jimmy Eat World

Evanescence

Dillinger Escape Plan

Now, hardly any of these rank that high with me today, but from the nineties, the only megastars of that decade, or bands who peaked back then commercially (but not artistically) are:

Texas Is The Reason

Paradise Lost

No Doubt

The Gathering

Third Eye Blind

That's about it...so I can say that the bands I loved in my school years still all sound great to me, but I think I really would have struggled in the nineties haha!

Mick

This thread is turning into what I never intended the thread to be - my vs. your music generation.

My question is: for every "David Bowie" that dies and will die within a decade or so, is there anyone/are there many in the younger generation to replace them of the same stature?

No, there probably won't be people to replace these icons. Mainly because today it's more about the music and the band as a whole than it is about one person. Also, with the internet nothing has any mystery to it anymore. Before that musicians had an aura to them and it helped in raising what would become their iconic status. Of course the musical ground these legends broke also played a huge part.

But today you can just watch live videos all you want on youtube of some band and all the mystique is gone. Artists communicate directly with fans through social media every day. So, the iconic status that individuals like Bowie reached in their career really can't be attained now by current bands because the internet strips everything away and makes these current bands real people.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 4

Mick

No, there probably won't be people to replace these icons. Mainly because today it's more about the music and the band as a whole than it is about one person. Also, with the internet nothing has any mystery to it anymore. Before that musicians had an aura to them and it helped in raising what would become their iconic status. Of course the musical ground these legends broke also played a huge part.

But today you can just watch live videos all you want on youtube of some band and all the mystique is gone. Artists communicate directing with fans through social media every day. So, the iconic status that individuals like Bowie reached in their career really can't be attained now by current bands because the internet strips everything away and makes those current bands real people.

that's one of the points i raised before.

The aura side of it is deader then dead.

the music is not.

Mick

• Like 3

"I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you." ~David St.Hubbins
  • Like 1

As a teen of the seventies it was a great decade for rock but being a hippie at heart I always wished I could have been around ten years earlier. Either way I would have still had to endure the disco era tho :facepalm:
  • Like 3

As a teen of the seventies it was a great decade for rock but being a hippie at heart I always wished I could have been around ten years earlier. Either way I would have still had to endure the disco era tho :facepalm:

I was born in '54 and lived through it all. I looked in horror at the sell-outs to disco. Still think it was the cheesiest of cheesy eras. Thankfully, the eighties got us out of and away from that travesty.

• Like 4

To be fair and apologize i guess i got thrown off. Yes the rock STAR is probably dead.

The topic DID say is ROCK in it's final Decade.

i apologize though.

Mick

Here's a point, you're Mick so then you must know KEEF?

• Like 1