Fly By Night or Caress Of Steel? Which Is Better?

Segue Myles

Which 1975 album is better?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite!

2. 2. How would you rate Fly By Night?

3. 3. How would you rate Caress Of Steel?

Fly By Night is the first Rush album I ever heard, in 1975. :heart: :heart: I loved the hard rock of Anthem, Beneath, Between and Behind, Best I Can and I love Geddy's voice on Fly By Night; I've always thought Making Memories was underrated as well. At this point in my life I can't separate the music from the memories and it's a big favorite. I was kind of surprised when Ged was on That Metal Show and rated it his least favorite out of the ten albums they put up from the Mercury era.

Big love for CoS as well, especially Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and Fountain of Lamneth; but I'll always like FBN better.

My feelings exactly except I didn't really hear it until around '77.

Newbie!

:P

Haha! :P I was just getting into Rush when AFTK's came out. Hard to believe now that there were only 4 albums (plus ATWAS) but at the time that seemed like a lot. They were cranking out an album a year.

• Like 1

Fly By Night is the first Rush album I ever heard, in 1975. :heart: :heart: I loved the hard rock of Anthem, Beneath, Between and Behind, Best I Can and I love Geddy's voice on Fly By Night; I've always thought Making Memories was underrated as well. At this point in my life I can't separate the music from the memories and it's a big favorite. I was kind of surprised when Ged was on That Metal Show and rated it his least favorite out of the ten albums they put up from the Mercury era.

Big love for CoS as well, especially Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and Fountain of Lamneth; but I'll always like FBN better.

Newbie!

Haha! :P I was just getting into Rush when AFTK's came out. Hard to believe now that there were only 4 albums (plus ATWAS) but at the time that seemed like a lot. They were cranking out an album a year.

You know I was just teasing about that, I hope. :)

True...Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 were all released within a span of 13 months.

Or, to encompass the others- the debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, and All the World's a Stage- four albums and a double live album- in exactly two and a half years.

• Like 2

Newbie!

You know I was just teasing about that, I hope. :)

True...Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 were all released within a span of 13 months.

Or, to encompass the others- the debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, and All the World's a Stage- four albums and a double live album- in exactly two and a half years.

I didn't realize it was that quick but I guess you're right! Wow.

COS for me.

FBN 8/10

COS 10/10

I'd take COS over any album (except it's pretty much a coin flip for me between that and Hemispheres, but if I had to chose, I'd go with COS).

My feelings precisely.

Terry Brown, spring 1975:

Guys, what I'm thinking is that we need to blow the dust off that Garden Road tune and put it on the album - take my word for it, Bastille Day, Garden Road, Lakeside Park into The Necromancer - we'll have the greatest side of any album ever"

Still, Caress Of Steel is a 8.5/10

Fly By Night is 8/10

And my scale is a tough one

Love 'em both

Edited by Lucas

Not sure if this is accurate or a joke, but Wikipedia has this to say about Caress Of Steel :

Singles from Caress Of Steel

1."The Necromancer: Return of the Prince"

Released: 1976

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

• Like 1

Not sure if this is accurate or a joke, but Wikipedia has this to say about Caress Of Steel :

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

I'd say someone needs to "edit" that page...unless it's verifiable that they did release a portion of The Necromancer as a single (which is just...positively bizarre. But not that that's a bad thing. I kind of like it).

• Like 1

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

I'd say someone needs to "edit" that page...unless it's verifiable that they did release a portion of The Necromancer as a single (which is just...positively bizarre. But not that that's a bad thing. I kind of like it).

A mention of a single release here! Scroll down to page 34.

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

Page 34? :eh:

I looked at the Wiki article earlier- it said specifically that Return of the Prince was released as a single in some countries. But it didn't say which ones.

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

I looked at the Wiki article earlier- it said specifically that Return of the Prince was released as a single in some countries. But it didn't say which ones.

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

Hahahaha I forgot to post this link:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T_qaCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=mercury+records+complete+discography+1975&source=bl&ots=X_zRWw0SlK&sig=d7RHUotQbRaPxexjDdPGJF66nFM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC0Q6AEwCWoVChMI96uDrPWFyQIVx6oOCh2MjQwu#v=onepage&q=mercury%20records%20complete%20discography%201975&f=false

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T_qaCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=mercury+records+complete+discography+1975&source=bl&ots=X_zRWw0SlK&sig=d7RHUotQbRaPxexjDdPGJF66nFM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC0Q6AEwCWoVChMI96uDrPWFyQIVx6oOCh2MjQwu#v=onepage&q=mercury%20records%20complete%20discography%201975&f=false

Heh heh... I thought there may have been something I was missing.

• Like 1

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

2."Lakeside Park"

Gotta love Rush

https://books.google...hy 1975&f=false

Heh heh... I thought there may have been something I was missing.

Yerp haha!

It's like being asked to pick your favourite child. They're both fantastic! I gave them both 9. Caress of Steel is so under-rated. The Necromancer is one of their best songs and defines early RUSH.
  • Like 1

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

Obviously, IMO, FBN is way better.

What is it about CoS that you despise so?

This isn't one of them hyper sensitive posts...just curious!

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

I can't stand The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. As Geddy says in "Beyond the Lighted stage", "I think we were high when we made that record". Wow does it show and, to my ears, not in any good way. The music in these 2 songs stinks (mostly) and the lyrics do nothing for me.

IMO, the next time Rush created songs that were as bad as these 2 songs was when they created "Virtuality" and "Dog Years". Actually "Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are worse but thats not saying much - they are Rush's 2 worst songs. Keep in mind Neil was hung over when he wrote Dog Years. Even the songs from RTB are better - and thats not saying much!!! Most of them are not special. Well, most of the original VT songs are in the same boat as The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. The remix is actually slightly better.

Its a pity these 2 long songs ruin the album - for me. Lakeside Park & Bastille Day are both very good. I think I'am Going Bald is barely ok. Nothing more. So 1 barely ok song, 2 very good songs and 2 long and very bad songs yields a very bad album (IMO).

Thanks for asking!!

• Like 2

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

I can't stand The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. As Geddy says in "Beyond the Lighted stage", "I think we were high when we made that record". Wow does it show and, to my ears, not in any good way. The music in these 2 songs stinks (mostly) and the lyrics do nothing for me.

IMO, the next time Rush created songs that were as bad as these 2 songs was when they created "Virtuality" and "Dog Years". Actually "Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are worse but thats not saying much - they are Rush's 2 worst songs. Keep in mind Neil was hung over when he wrote Dog Years. Even the songs from RTB are better - and thats not saying much!!! Most of them are not special. Well, most of the original VT songs are in the same boat as The Necromancer & The Fountain of Lamneth. The remix is actually slightly better.

Its a pity these 2 long songs ruin the album - for me. Lakeside Park & Bastille Day are both very good. I think I'am Going Bald is barely ok. Nothing more. So 1 barely ok song, 2 very good songs and 2 long and very bad songs yields a very bad album (IMO).

Thanks for asking!!

I will never for the life of me understand why Dog Years and Virtuality are so detested here. :huh:

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

I will never for the life of me understand why Dog Years and Virtuality are so detested here. :huh:

They stink on their own merits but when you compare them to the greatness previous they are a word much worse than stink which escapes me at the moment... :codger: Edited by Narps

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

They stink on their own merits but when you compare them to the greatness previous they are a word much worse than stink which escapes me at the moment... :codger:

I get that they're not the best Rush songs ever, but I don't see how they come close to the worst.

• Like 2

FBN - 8/10

COS - 2/10

NP - glad to explain!!

Thanks for asking!!

They stink on their own merits but when you compare them to the greatness previous they are a word much worse than stink which escapes me at the moment... :codger:

I get that they're not the best Rush songs ever, but I don't see how they come close to the worst.

Believe me I find no enjoyment out of the fact that they do. Superconductor is probably worse than both if that helps any... :)
  • Like 1