Rush: Heaviest Prog Band of the 70s?

Geddy's Soul Patch

never saw rush as a metal band at all. they barely have a foot in hard rock for me, actually. although obviously they can slip into a little harder stuff occasionally.

I never saw Rush as progressive because I didn't know of, and hadn't even heard the term "progressive" as it relates to music when I started listening to Rush. They were and are a hard rock band that sometimes delves into metal. Not the shit that passes for metal these days, but metal as it used to be known. If you can't hear that, you've got some pre-conceived notions that can be overcome.

Well, this then begs the question that I have pondered myself: what makes a band "progressive"? Long songs? Multiple time signatures? Deep lyrical content? Or some combination? Where do you actually draw the line?

That's exactly the question, what is progressive music? I think it's like art, it's what you think is prog based on what is generally accepted definitions. But, using that same criteria, many bands could have progressive elements like different time signatures, longer songs, etc. Master of Puppets is pretty darn progressive if you actually listen to it.

• Like 1

I'd be hard pressed to name a band that blended metal and Prog prior to Rush; maybe Crimson

HAHAHAHA!

I saw your title and thought Crimson within a second.

Sorry Rush is not the heaviest prog band from the Seventies.

BUDGIE

Rush was metal when they released their 1974-78 albums, but they wouldn't be classified as such now. This is easy, guys.

Hasn't Rush themselves said that they never considered themselves metal, but hard rock? Maybe not but seem to recall having read that somewhere, more than once. If so, why argue with Geddy? No matter, clearly what is metal for some is not for others, and vice versa.

There is nothing metal about Rush.

And were they ever heavy? Loud, yes, but heavy? No.

Psssssttt:

"ON A SPIRAL.... SEA UNENDING!!!!!!!"

That shit is heavy!

^ Didn't that follow "Madrigal," and before that, "Cinderella Man," and before that, "Closer to the Heart"? Bang your head...!
  • Like 1

Not metal not even heavy just hard occasionally when ramping it up a bit. Just coz something's faster and more aggressive doesnt mean it has to fit in a particular slot. Rush are too cultured for that.
  • Like 1

^ Didn't that follow "Madrigal," and before that, "Cinderella Man," and before that, "Closer to the Heart"? Bang your head...!

yes. what are you still trying to prove, man? no one's arguing here, we're sharing stories and old rock journalism

^ Not arguing, just pointing out that for every heavy thing there were several not so heavy things. Relax.

Rush was metal when they released their 1974-78 albums, but they wouldn't be classified as such now. This is easy, guys.

Hasn't Rush themselves said that they never considered themselves metal, but hard rock? Maybe not but seem to recall having read that somewhere, more than once. If so, why argue with Geddy? No matter, clearly what is metal for some is not for others, and vice versa.

I'm not sure I care what Geddy calls their music. It was widely regarded as metal when they released their 74-78 albums (and really up until PoW reviewers still called them a metal band). What made "metal" back then wouldn't really fly as more than rock, or maybe hard rock nowadays. I'm not sure if that means we retroactively recategorize the music of the 70s to conform to today's definitions.

• Like 2

this "issue" just seems a bit more important for you than it is for anyone else. my bad

The Quiet Riot reference was supposed to be "don't take this too seriously" indicator. Maybe I should have used one of those zany icons to be more clear. At any rate I had already conceded that the def'n of '70s "Heavy Metal" seems too fluid to pin down.

• Like 1

this "issue" just seems a bit more important for you than it is for anyone else. my bad

The Quiet Riot reference was supposed to be "don't take this too seriously" indicator. Maybe I should have used one of those zany icons to be more clear. At any rate I had already conceded that the def'n of '70s "Heavy Metal" seems too fluid to pin down.

:tsk: :7up:

:rush: = :haz: :haz:

:smoke: :smoke: :d13: :d13:

rush aren't metal and never have been.

i fail to see how anyone could interpret rush as being metal in any way there must be something wrong with you.

:)

Ya I was born too early so I was there when it began ;)

Blues based hard Rock with distorted guitar and aggressive vocals... Consider this bitch PINNED kids

This thread is pointless. Music is subjective and artists (especially Rush) hate having their music put in a box. Rush has metal moments as well as soft rock moments etc..

We should be talking about the heaviest SONG of the 70's.. I'll throw in a vote for Beneath Between and Behind!! Heh heh :D

Another way to look at this would be to consider the fans of the band during certain points in their career ..

My 2nd RUSH show was Sept 1980 - the Spectrum in Philly - and SAXON opened, and were well received ... My first RUSH show was May 1980, and at 12 years old, I remember feeling a little intimidated by the crowd - these were the same guys I'd see at the arcade with denim jackets, and who were into Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Motorhead, etc ( hey, when you're that age, you're impressionable :) and somehow, I felt a kinship with this group ) ... Having seen Cheap Trick and KISS the previous year, the RUSH crowd was much different ..

I mean this endearingly, but from my best recollection - and I remember those shows vividly - RUSH was not drawing any geeks or females at the time ...

Definitely a metal crowd ... I never saw YES back then, but I seriously doubt their crowd was similar

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Blues based hard Rock with distorted guitar and aggressive vocals... Consider this bitch PINNED kids

Sooo, are you saying they have been pinned as metal or not metal? I can see their first album being described pretty well as blues based hard rock with distorted guitars and aggressive vocals, but from FBN on, with the exception of a few notable moments, that really doesn't describe them to my ears. No matter, as you say, it's all subjective, more subjective than I'd imagined it seems :) . (Note, smiley face thing means I don't really care that much).

This thread is pointless. Music is subjective and artists (especially Rush) hate having their music put in a box. Rush has metal moments as well as soft rock moments etc..

We should be talking about the heaviest SONG of the 70's.. I'll throw in a vote for Beneath Between and Behind!! Heh heh :D

I remember being on a family trip and convincing my dad to let me play some of my music on the stereo. Cue Exit Stage Left. I probably told my dad what Red Barchetta was about as when we got to Beneath, Between and Behind he asked, "So what's this one about?" Oh, it's about how the American ideal has been tarnished by our social and military history, I guess (or something to that effect). My Dad rolled his eyes and said he's sorry he asked. That was the last question or comment for the remainder of the album.

Another way to look at this would be to consider the fans of the band during certain points in their career ..

My 2nd RUSH show was Sept 1980 - the Spectrum in Philly - and SAXON opened, and were well received ... My first RUSH show was May 1980, and at 12 years old, I remember feeling a little intimidated by the crowd - these were the same guys I'd see at the arcade with denim jackets, and who were into Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Motorhead, etc ( hey, when you're that age, you're impressionable :) and somehow, I felt a kinship with this group ) ... Having seen Cheap Trick and KISS the previous year, the RUSH crowd was much different ..

I mean this endearingly, but from my best recollection - and I remember those shows vividly - RUSH was not drawing any geeks or females at the time ...

Definitely a metal crowd ... I never saw YES back then, but I seriously doubt their crowd was similar

Though (as I've made clear I suppose) I never thought of Rush as "Metal," they were definitely loved by the metal crowd as I followed them through the '70s. I didn't know many Rush fans in my hometown, at least around my age in my school, but those that were also tended to like Zeppelin, AC DC, Rainbow, etc. Definitely a hard rock and metal crowd, tending toward metal.

I shouldn't say I never considered Rush metal. First Rush album I heard was ATWAS. I thought that was both hard rock and metal. And then AFTK came out and dispelled the metal label for me. That's when I went into their back catalog as well and still thought ATWAS was their most metal recording, along with thier debut I suppose.

• Like 1

Here in Italy I think it's easier finding a Rush fan (it remains a desperate task anyway...) in a traditional Metal crowd rather than in people who listen to traditional Prog (ELP, Genesis, Yes etc).

Never understood why.

^^ My experience as well (less the Italy part). My opinion? 2112. Seemed to me that most of the exclusively (mostly) metal fans were big on 2112 but not as much on the rest of their stuff. Take away 2112 and I wonder how big on Rush most metal fans would have been. I guess they tended to like Hemispheres as well. PeW and MP really brought Rush into the mainstream and Van Halen and Who fans I knew embraced them as well. Metal heads still tended to talk about 2112 and La Villa. Doors and Clash fans still tended to diss them though ;) . Edited by Rutlefan

Sooo, are you saying they have been pinned as metal or not metal? I can see their first album being described pretty well as blues based hard rock with distorted guitars and aggressive vocals, but from FBN on, with the exception of a few notable moments, that really doesn't describe them to my ears. No matter, as you say, it's all subjective, more subjective than I'd imagined it seems :) . (Note, smiley face thing means I don't really care that much).

I should have put a smiley face too then ;). I just like sticking up for old school ways! What with all these young whipper snappers and hypocrites slandering the sacred halls of truth! Metal was born before them and they don't know what they don't know!

Can't we find the minds that made us strong!

Can't we learn what's right and what's wrong!!

Speaking of "AFTK" (song), and being an old fart among young whippersnappers, first time I ever saw Rush perform was AFTK on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Along with Midnight Special about the only way to see rock bands on tv before cable. Rush did seem pretty heavy when Alex ripped into the solo. It was awesome but I would have had a baby if the Xanadu video had been shown instead, realities of biology be damned.
  • Like 2