Jump to content


Coffee lovers- what do you like? And where do you buy it?


  • Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#161 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3768 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 12 February 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sumtran whole bean, in bulk at Lucky's Market.
Half and half and one sugar,
Been hitting Lucky's quite a bit lately, trying the different bulk coffees at home. $8.99/lb. Some 15 varieties, and another 5 or 6 decaffeinated if you don't want the buzz.  All whole bean, and if you want you can grind it to your liking.  Last time  I went, for me I got a half and half pound of Sumatran and French Roast, and for Karen a half pound of Ethiopian ( bright, high acid.)

Sponsored Post

#162 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 13874 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:education, practical philosophy, veganism, feminism, aesthetics, the arts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

An open question for all of you coffee lovers: what makes coffee taste "grassy"? I find that no matter what beans or grinder setting I use, my espresso and drip coffee taste like dandelions, especially after having cooled down a little bit. Sometimes I get the same taste profile from like cheap coffeeshop drip coffee as well.

I'd kind of like to avoid it! :lol:

#163 Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 303 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

I usually grind my own beans and use a french press, but when I am in a hurry I will stop off at DD for a cup of there regular coffee before I get to work. Once I am at work whatever the School Office staff brews up it is pretty good and I will drink it.

#164 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50875 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. My Corvette. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 30 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

An open question for all of you coffee lovers: what makes coffee taste "grassy"? I find that no matter what beans or grinder setting I use, my espresso and drip coffee taste like dandelions, especially after having cooled down a little bit. Sometimes I get the same taste profile from like cheap coffeeshop drip coffee as well.

I'd kind of like to avoid it! :lol:
Grassy?  I've never noticed that before, and I drink a lot of coffee.  A lot.  More than you'd think.  :lol:

Maybe if I eat a dandelion, I'd be like..holy crap that taste like coffee!  :LMAO:

Edited by ILSnwdog, 31 March 2017 - 12:56 PM.


#165 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 19949 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

I had to give up coffee a couple of months ago.  High blood pressure.

I sure do miss it.  Haven't felt awake since.

#166 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

Drinking an SHB roast from Guatemala this morning, which I haven't had for quite awhile. I don't like it as much as the one from Costa Rica, which is my absolute favorite, but it's still very good.

#167 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:39 AM

View PostStinkerbell, on 30 March 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

I usually grind my own beans and use a french press, but when I am in a hurry I will stop off at DD for a cup of there regular coffee before I get to work. Once I am at work whatever the School Office staff brews up it is pretty good and I will drink it.

French presses are awesome! :ebert:

My advice is to always make enough time to do it that way, and find a different way to save time when you're in a hurry.

#168 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:40 AM

View PostDay of Light, on 30 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

An open question for all of you coffee lovers: what makes coffee taste "grassy"? I find that no matter what beans or grinder setting I use, my espresso and drip coffee taste like dandelions, especially after having cooled down a little bit. Sometimes I get the same taste profile from like cheap coffeeshop drip coffee as well.

I'd kind of like to avoid it! :lol:

Grassy? I prefer 'earthy'.

What beans do you usually use?

#169 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

View PostILSnwdog, on 31 March 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 30 March 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

An open question for all of you coffee lovers: what makes coffee taste "grassy"? I find that no matter what beans or grinder setting I use, my espresso and drip coffee taste like dandelions, especially after having cooled down a little bit. Sometimes I get the same taste profile from like cheap coffeeshop drip coffee as well.

I'd kind of like to avoid it! :lol:
Grassy?  I've never noticed that before, and I drink a lot of coffee.  A lot.  More than you'd think.  :lol:

Maybe if I eat a dandelion, I'd be like..holy crap that taste like coffee!  :LMAO:

Ahh, yes, that was the exact thought I had, during my last feast of dandelions...


:unsure:

#170 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:44 AM

View Postthesweetscience, on 31 March 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

I had to give up coffee a couple of months ago.  High blood pressure.

I sure do miss it.  Haven't felt awake since.

:(

I'm so sorry to hear this...I'd be gutted if I ever had to give up my coffee.

And I have high blood pressure as well- but with one little pill every morning, it's easily regulated. I just had my six-month check-up last week, and it was 112/74. I'll take that, all day long.

I drink caffeine free Coke now, but I've made no such concession when it comes to coffee. :coffee:

#171 Carvan Alex

Carvan Alex

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La Habra, CA
  • Interests:Music, LA Sports (Dodgers/Kings/Rams), Comics, Movies, Theme Parks, England.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

I  have a Keurig coffee machine and I buy regular coffee as well as artificially flavored.  I buy the K-Cups and my favorite flavors are Cinnabon, Vanilla Crème Puff Donut Shop, and Vanilla Biscotti.  When it comes to creamer, the Italian goes REALLY well with the Cinnabon.  I also like to buy coffee from Starbucks, especially since I love the mocha with raspberry syrup in it.

#172 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

View PostBlue J, on 06 April 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

Drinking an SHB roast from Guatemala this morning, which I haven't had for quite awhile. I don't like it as much as the one from Costa Rica, which is my absolute favorite, but it's still very good.

Back to my Costa Rican now...mmmmm, it is the best. This particular roast is my favorite coffee I've ever had, in 25+ years of coffee-drinking. I just discovered it maybe three or four years ago. It's only made at the Vienna Coffee Company in Maryville, Tennessee. Their coffee is used and/or sold in several places in and around where they are, from say Knoxville to Gatlinburg. They'll also ship anywhere by mail order, which is how I get it.

They have an impressive selection of a lot of different roasts, and I get some different things every once in awhile, but this is THE one above all others:

Posted Image

http://www.viennacoffeeco.com



#173 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2221 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

TIMMYS!!..

#174 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76088 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

My uncle drooped off a bottle of raspberry Torani syrup.  It's been a nice treat.

#175 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 25432 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Just tried out grinding store coffee last weekend for the first time at Sprouts farmers market.

#176 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 30 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Just tried out grinding store coffee last weekend for the first time at Sprouts farmers market.

How was it? What kind of roast was it?

#177 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

Posted Image


#178 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 25432 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostBlue J, on 01 July 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 30 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Just tried out grinding store coffee last weekend for the first time at Sprouts farmers market.

How was it? What kind of roast was it?

Organic breakfast blend and swiss chocolate almond and both are good.  I've tried some of their select flavors at their 3 coffee fountains before many times.  I bought Nicaraguan coffee there a year ago and it blew my mind by how awesome it was.

#179 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 01 July 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 01 July 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 30 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Just tried out grinding store coffee last weekend for the first time at Sprouts farmers market.

How was it? What kind of roast was it?

Organic breakfast blend and swiss chocolate almond and both are good.  I've tried some of their select flavors at their 3 coffee fountains before many times.  I bought Nicaraguan coffee there a year ago and it blew my mind by how awesome it was.

I'd definitely go for the Nicaraguan.

#180 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76088 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

In the hot summer I drink coffee on the rocks, usually cut with milk.  Perfect for waking up after a mid-day nap.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users