Red Barchetta

LedRush

Red Barchetta  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently like, or have you ever like, the song Red Barchetta?

"I wasn't aware it was inspired by a futuristic story."

Yes, the futuristic society of 1982 (see "A Nice Morning Drive" by Richard Foster) :P. Really though, it is about a joy ride in an uncle's car, but didn't you ever wonder about the being chased by "alloy air cars" part? Makes up quite a bit of the story. ;)

I don't know shit about cars, so for all I knew an "alloy air car" was the name of a car that existed. The same with "the motor law". I figured he was just referring to some law I wasn't aware of, or since he's Canadian, Neil was referring to some law up there. When I get the basic point of a songs lyrics, which I do with this one, I usually don't go looking into anymore detail about them.

No worries, I just think it's a little funny that lines like "And on Sundays I elude the eyes and And hop the Turbine Freight. To far outside the Wire where my white-haired uncle waits," or the reference to "a better, vanished time" wouldn't have tipped you off. "Turbine Freight," the "Eyes," the "Wire" just Canadian stuff? You must really think Canada is quite the exotic place. But you like the song and you picked up on the joy ride, it's all good :cheers: .

For a long time I didn't know the song was set in some future time. I just glossed over the bits I didn't understand, or tried to contextualize them. Turbine freight could have been a type of train. Eluding the eyes could mean getting away from his parents to see his way cooler uncle. I still don't know what the wire is, but it could be any number of borders. And people have been talking about a better, vanished time since ancient Egypt, so that wasn't a clue at all. I bet you if you asked casual fans, very few would know that this is set in a dystopian future.

Edited by LedRush

I have two songs stuck in my brain for a few days now - Synchronicity I and Red Barchetta.

I had The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Virtuality in my head earlier.

YOU WIN LORRAINE!

• Like 2

I had The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Oh gawd. That one's awful. That droning voice will NEVER go away. :LOL:

What??? I love that song. We like the same music?

Well you do seem to like Hemispheres more than I do. ;)

I had The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Oh gawd. That one's awful. That droning voice will NEVER go away. :LOL:

What??? I love that song. We like the same music?

Well you do seem to like Hemispheres more than I do. ;)

I don't mind the song but to have it stuck in your brain is real torture. ;)

The dude with 36 characters and black sedan in his user name doesn't like Red Barchetta? :huh:

Must be an aversion to foreign cars.

Who's the idio…I mean, very nice person who said no?

I thought it might have been you Disk, and was very happy to see that it wasn't. :)

:) I don't think I've ever said anything bad about any of the Red songs. I love them all!

• Like 1

I thought it might have been you Disk, and was very happy to see that it wasn't. :)

:) I don't think I've ever said anything bad about any of the Red songs. I love them all!

Me too! Red Tide is very underrated.

Me too! Red Tide is very underrated.

Agreed. :cheers:

• Like 1