Red Barchetta

LedRush

Red Barchetta  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently like, or have you ever like, the song Red Barchetta?

I find this song to be the essence of everything great about Rush: cinematic, story telling, marriage of music and lyrics, rocking, fun, great vocals, great playing...it has everything.
  • Like 8

It is my all time favorite Rush song.
  • Like 1

Great, great song. The harmonics that Alex plays to open and close the song are masterful. And those same passages feature some classic 'lead bass', from Geddy. I can attest personally that it's a very fun song to play on the drums, too.

My favorite lyric from it:

"Suddenly, ahead of me,

Across the mountain side

A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me

Two lanes wide

I spin around with shrieking tyres

To run the deadly race

Go screaming through the valley

As another joins the chase..."

Ahhhh... :)

• Like 3

Love the song.

I remember a couple years ago on here, someone started a thread where they asked us to rate each Rush song on a scale of 1-10 to figure out which was the most liked song and Red Barchetta won it with the highest average. It really is the perfect Rush song. i don't remember who did it though and what the name of the thread was.

Great, great song. The harmonics that Alex plays to open and close the song are masterful. And those same passages feature some classic 'lead bass', from Geddy. I can attest personally that it's a very fun song to play on the drums, too.

I was just coming to comment on the bass in this song. It's one of my favourite bass parts of Geddy's, and a lot of fun to play.

• Like 3

I was just coming to comment on the bass in this song. It's one of my favourite bass parts of Geddy's, and a lot of fun to play.

:ebert:

It's also a fun song to sing. :)

I'll be cranking up Moving Pictures in the car on the way home today...

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I find this song to be the essence of everything great about Rush: cinematic, story telling, marriage of music and lyrics, rocking, fun, great vocals, great playing...it has everything.

Big plus if you're an old school gear head who like wrenching on and driving an old machine.

Great song but not nearly the first one I would want to listen to at this point. Same as Tom Sawyer... :codger:

One of my faves.Everything here is perfect.The lyrics match the music as the song builds like the car getting faster and louder.The solo flies and Ged's bass is dirty and aggressive(that clunky Chris Squire sound).Then'gleaming alloy air car'comes into the picture,my favourite part of the song,and then it gradually winds down to mirror the begining the start of the song.Forget Tom Sawyer,Spirit,2112,this is one of their best.
  • Like 2

My favorite Rush song. Had to recently admit that it has pushed Xanadu to second, though there's not a close third behind those two.

As LedRush explained, it IS the best of Rush in one package. Brilliant music and brilliant lyrics (not just a great story and great poetry, but not one self-righteous finger wag to be found!). A cautionary tale featuring the coolest car ever (Ferrari 166mm of course; Neil has d*mn good taste in cars); Farenheit 451 meets Le Mans (the Steve McQueen movie).

The cautionary part can't be overstated. Is Elon Musk simply a headline-grabbing bag of hygienic scent, or is he on to something that Neil foresaw those many years ago? I've got a serial addiction to old Alfa Romeos (for the most part the only kind you find over here) and if the car police come they won't be able to "pry them out of my cold, dead hands!" (as they say). Seriously (before someone takes the comment too seriously), that won't likely happen in my lifetime, but for my kids? It's not the supposed threat to the environment posed by internal combustion engines that would be the problem, but rather the nanny state social progressive fascists who would want to reign in deviant behavior (as they define it) in the supposed interest of protecting the environment, or whatever; in the original story safety was the issue, to which Musk returns.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102512883

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1