2112 or Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: 2112 or Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Which song do you think is better?

1. 2112 (22 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres (32 votes [59.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 63094 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres. The only song that might be better is Xanadu
:goodone: That's exactly what I was going to say  :yes:

Sponsored Post

#22 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 March 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 06 March 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 March 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

I still think part one should be included in the comparison since Hemispheres is just the second part of Cygnus X-1. Otherwise, why not just make 2112 only the finale?
It's not a comparison.  I wanted to see which song was better liked.  Or loved.  Zumbi had started a thread with these two songs up against The Fountain of Lamneth.  I wanted to see how just 2112 and Hemispheres did without the FOL.  That's why I started the thread.

And I said the same thing in the other thread. :)   To me it's all one thing.
They were released on different albums. The analogy to leaving out Grand Finale doesn't really make sense lol

That's not what I said.  I said that leaving Cygnus X-1 out of a discussion of Hemispheres is like leaving everything out of 2112 BUT the finale.
Ok, well whatever, my point is still valid :D

What was your point?  Just because they were released on different albums doesn't mean anything. They are part one and part two. It's one epic regardless.

#23 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostYour_Lion, on 06 March 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Alike think minds great

#24 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostYour_Lion, on 06 March 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Alike think minds great

Dyslexic?

#25 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I still think part one should be included in the comparison since Hemispheres is just the second part of Cygnus X-1. Otherwise, why not just make 2112 only the finale?
It's not a comparison.  I wanted to see which song was better liked.  Or loved.  Zumbi had started a thread with these two songs up against The Fountain of Lamneth.  I wanted to see how just 2112 and Hemispheres did without the FOL.  That's why I started the thread.

They were released on different albums. The analogy to leaving out Grand Finale doesn't really make sense lol

That's not what I said.  I said that leaving Cygnus X-1 out of a discussion of Hemispheres is like leaving everything out of 2112 BUT the finale.

What was your point?  Just because they were released on different albums doesn't mean anything. They are part one and part two. It's one epic regardless.
It's a sequel. If it were George Lucas movies, you could pit Empire against America Graffiti without including all of the other Star Wars movies.

#26 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

It's a sequel. If it were George Lucas movies, you could pit Empire against America Graffiti without including all of the other Star Wars movies.

Are you on drugs?  :D

#27 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 06 March 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostGeddy, on 06 March 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Are you on drugs?  :D
You're just mad that I came up with a way better analogy :D

#28 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

I've been a Hemisphere's head ever since it came out!   I loved AFTK when it came out, and when I saw that Cygnus said "to be continued" at the end of the lyrics inside the album cover, I couldn't WAIT to see what they did!

2112 is a great "tune" but I'm still into Hemispheres!

#29 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Ping!!!

#30 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6125 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

I haven't heard 2112 in a long while but I hear Hemispheres on a regular basis. Still I wouldn't cast my vote yet as if I listened to 2112 might change my perspective. They're both masterpieces in my view and two songs you should know if you're serious about music.

What I like about Hemispheres is the bold arrangement. The pauses between the segments. Haven't heard that applied anywhere else. Geddy's voice is a little more "mellow" if that's the correct word to use ;). Other than that the lyrics resonates in me and gives food for thought. 2112 has more variation than Hemispheres but it hasn't got as much going for it production/mixing wise. The lyrics on 2112 reminds me more of politics and ideologies which at the moment doesn't tickle my fancy as much.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs but right now Hemispheres would win by the smallest possible margin.

#31 lachrymal

lachrymal

The Seeker

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

I say 2112, but just barely.  I think it mostly comes down to the personal relationship I had with the song when I was a little boy, trying to be a big boy.

#32 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

They are part one and part two. It's one epic regardless.

I made a version of Cygnus in which, at around the 12:10 point of Hemispheres, I spliced in book 1; I then blend in the final strummed chords of book 1 with the same chords in the middle of Hemispheres.  It works pretty well, and I think it makes sense.  It also proves that sometimes I have too much time on my hands.

#33 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hems...my goodness I wish I had an emotional connection...it does nothing for me beyond an appreciation for its flawless musicality.

Daft, I admire it. But 2112 moves me and is a lot more memorable.

#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 06 March 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

Hems...my goodness I wish I had an emotional connection...it does nothing for me beyond an appreciation for its flawless musicality.

I have no emotional connection to Rush before Moving Pictures.  But  I have ears.  :)

#35 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostLorraine, on 06 March 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

I have no emotional connection to Rush before Moving Pictures.  But  I have ears.  :)

It just doesn't grab me...like I enter a really blissful state with Caress Of Steel, 2112 and AFTK rock so hard and frequently enlighten me...Hems just plays and when its done I just put it away for months on end and play Presto instead.

#36 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21764 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 06 March 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

It just doesn't grab me...like I enter a really blissful state with Caress Of Steel, 2112 and AFTK rock so hard and frequently enlighten me...Hems just plays and when its done I just put it away for months on end and play Presto instead.

I think you'll come to appreciate it more as time goes on. It's very unique and quite different than the rest of their albums, leaning very much towards progressive rock. I think it's a shame they didn't do more albums in this vein since they did it so well.

#37 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

Every time you say Hems I think of pants.  Not like *pant, pant, pant* but, you know, trousers.

#38 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Next hot and sunny day, I recommend you have yourself a nice drive in the English countryside and BLAST Hemispheres, hopefully it helps :smoke:

#39 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostLedRush, on 06 March 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Better, more varied, and more interesting music, better story-telling, and a better match between music and story.  I love Hemispheres, but this isn't a close call for me.

Excellent post.  Except I would go slightly further and say that I like Hemispheres, not love it.  Its a fine, ok, middle of the pack song.  Nothing wrong with it but nothing special.

2112, for all  the reasons listed, is far better.  Got my vote - no second thoughts needed.

#40 rushpepe

rushpepe

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music, football, hockey (GO BRUINS), golf, fishing, OOB.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hemispheres...2112   2112...Hemispheres   Hemispheres...2112   2112...Hemispheres   Hemispheres...2112   2112...Hemispheres   Hemispheres...2112   2112...Hemispheres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users