Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

There's videos for several other songs on the album, but the only way you'll ever see them is if you go see SW live. There's a stop-motion video for Routine that's being projected in the back of the band directed by Jess Cope who did the Drag Ropes, Drive Home and TRTRTS videos.

There's a bunch of videos from SW's other albums that were made but ultimately were never released outside of being projected onto the video wall at shows (Arriving Somewhere..., Fadeaway, Sentimental, Sleep Together, etc.). I'd love/pay to have a BluRay/DVD compilation of all of the SW related music videos one day.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

Saw the footage from the Argentina show on tube of you. the entire show. It's without Marco and Guthrie. not good. Average musicians at best. Shame. He could have done better. Marco is amazing live. But his replacement is annoying. He's not musical. Neither is Guthrie sub. Sub par at best. Kachow

And where off.

Saw the footage from the Argentina show on tube of you. the entire show. It's without Marco and Guthrie. not good. Average musicians at best. Shame. He could have done better. Marco is amazing live. But his replacement is annoying. He's not musical. Neither is Guthrie sub. Sub par at best. Kachow

And where off.

I had the pleasure of seeing SW live in Cardiff with Guthrie and Marco and have watched the footage from Argentina. I have to say I disagree, I think the replacements are excellent especially Dave Kilminster.

And where off.

I had the pleasure of seeing SW live in Cardiff with Guthrie and Marco and have watched the footage from Argentina. I have to say I disagree, I think the replacements are excellent especially Dave Kilminster.

If they were average at best, SW wouldn't have hired them in the first place. Surely SW found something in them that was great enough for them to sub in for Marco and Guthrie.

• Like 1

Right on the heels of the stellar Rush concert in Tampa, I'm flying up to New York tomorrow to see Steven Wilson on Friday and Saturday! So excited!
  • Like 3

More tour dates announced for Europe and UK in January 2016. I'm trying to decide whether seeing him 3 times within a year is excessive. I don't think so; not sure my husband will be of the same opinion.
  • Like 1

More tour dates announced for Europe and UK in January 2016. I'm trying to decide whether seeing him 3 times within a year is excessive. I don't think so; not sure my husband will be of the same opinion.

I'm thinking Europe will get Craig Blundell and Dave Kilminster this time around. So, that might be a good excuse to see it again with some different voices in the band :)

Btw, I got my wife to buy into two Rush shows (which cost as much as 4 Steven Wilson shows) - plus, on the upside for her, she doesn't have to attend with me! (though she would have loved to see SW with me - but can't due to schedules...)

• Like 1

I get to see him in a couple weeks in San Francisco.

Hand. Cannot. Ejaculate.

I love this album. Been working late the past couple weeks and just keep cranking this thing. I even really adore Perfect Life. Sue me. Wonderful record.

• Like 2

I'm thinking Europe will get Craig Blundell and Dave Kilminster this time around. So, that might be a good excuse to see it again with some different voices in the band :)

Btw, I got my wife to buy into two Rush shows (which cost as much as 4 Steven Wilson shows) - plus, on the upside for her, she doesn't have to attend with me! (though she would have loved to see SW with me - but can't due to schedules...)

He's fine with it (and it gives him more bargaining power re. the rugby World Cup). I'm slowly converting him to SW - he likes The Raven and thinks HCE is ok. Not sure he's ready for Raider II or most of Insurgentes yet.

• Like 1

Just got back from tonight's Steven Wilson show. Still trying to let it all sink in but holy f***ing shit I had goosebumps the whole set (and still!)

I'm going to tomorrow night's show too, so I'll have a more in depth review for both gigs on here in a few days. But before then, some things that stuck out to me with tonight's show.

1. SW's increased banter in between songs with the audience.

2. The video for Routine is without a doubt the most depressing live visuals I've ever seen.

3. Index had a slightly rearranged intro (possibly due to no shroud as part of the theatrics) before reverting back into the original arrangement of the rest of the song.

4. The fan who said, "NOTHING ON DEADWING SUCKS!!!" followed by SW going on with how he hates bands who trash on albums he loves (i.e. Atom Heart Mother) and then saying "There's a few on there (Deadwing) that I'm not proud of" followed by me making a fool out myself by shouting "SHALLOW!!!!" followed by laughter and a snarky retort back to me by SW! :LOL:

5. SW basically confirmed that the "Leo Blair" who was the solo chorister on Routine is Tony Blair's son but he jokingly said that it (as in being Blair's son) shouldn't be used against him.

6. Craig and Dave did a fanfuckingtastic job filling in for Marco and Guthrie!

7. Met Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater right after the show and got a pic with him. Didn't made a fool to myself in front of my heroes this time! :LOL:

8. Personally, I thought I "got" the concept of the album after repeated listenings but seeing the live visuals, I'm seeing the concept of the album in a totally different light.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

Back from the NYC - it was spectacular! Craig and David did very admirable jobs for being "new guys". The shows were great and they did alter the set slightly from night to night (I think we got all of the acoustic numbers they have been doing on this tour.)

My little brag - I went to the show with a friend who had worked with Steven on "In Absentia", "Deadwing" and "Insurgentes". Turns out, he gave SW's manager a call and hooked us up with passes for the after-party. So, on Friday night, we entered these rooms behind the stage with maybe a dozen people, and hung out with the band. Jordan Rudess was there, as was David Fricke from rolling stone (I told him I appreciated him being a Rush advocate!) It was all quite surreal - at one point, I was talking with Adam Holtzman and Jordan Rudess steps up. Needless to say, our conversation ended and I listened to their interaction. <mind blown> Steven was wearing white slippers, and was engaged in discussion with a couple young ladies (his manager jokingly told us not to bother him while he's doing that!) Eventually, we got to meet Steven. I thanked him for the great music and asked him about how he selects what music to listen to (he's got so much music and ever changing playlist) and he mentioned it's really just his mood or searching for something new (I still can't imagine listening to as much stuff as he does!) I joked with Nick Beggs about his pineapple photo. I spoke with Craig the longest - as a fellow drummer, I can only imagine getting such a gig ("OK, you're going to fill in for Marco Minnemann, and we'll have 2 rehearsals...." /gulp ) It was fun to hear about his experience. He mentioned the RAH show (and there will be special guests!) We took cell phone photos with all of them. Totally surreal.

The weekend was a blur - I think I slept 8 hours in 3 days... Home now, I'll upload a few shots when I get a chance.

• Like 6

I have seen a few shows on YouTube of Craig on drums. Not digging it. He hits like a newborn baby. No passion. Nothing there. Zero substance. Why he lacks fire no idea. He's a electronic drums clinic guy. No wonder.

Back from the NYC - it was spectacular! Craig and David did very admirable jobs for being "new guys". The shows were great and they did alter the set slightly from night to night (I think we got all of the acoustic numbers they have been doing on this tour.)

My little brag - I went to the show with a friend who had worked with Steven on "In Absentia", "Deadwing" and "Insurgentes". Turns out, he gave SW's manager a call and hooked us up with passes for the after-party. So, on Friday night, we entered these rooms behind the stage with maybe a dozen people, and hung out with the band. Jordan Rudess was there, as was David Fricke from rolling stone (I told him I appreciated him being a Rush advocate!) It was all quite surreal - at one point, I was talking with Adam Holtzman and Jordan Rudess steps up. Needless to say, our conversation ended and I listened to their interaction. <mind blown> Steven was wearing white slippers, and was engaged in discussion with a couple young ladies (his manager jokingly told us not to bother him while he's doing that!) Eventually, we got to meet Steven. I thanked him for the great music and asked him about how he selects what music to listen to (he's got so much music and ever changing playlist) and he mentioned it's really just his mood or searching for something new (I still can't imagine listening to as much stuff as he does!) I joked with Nick Beggs about his pineapple photo. I spoke with Craig the longest - as a fellow drummer, I can only imagine getting such a gig ("OK, you're going to fill in for Marco Minnemann, and we'll have 2 rehearsals...." /gulp ) It was fun to hear about his experience. He mentioned the RAH show (and there will be special guests!) We took cell phone photos with all of them. Totally surreal.

The weekend was a blur - I think I slept 8 hours in 3 days... Home now, I'll upload a few shots when I get a chance.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1

I have seen a few shows on YouTube of Craig on drums. Not digging it. He hits like a newborn baby. No passion. Nothing there. Zero substance. Why he lacks fire no idea. He's a electronic drums clinic guy. No wonder.

yeah, I haven't watched any of the shows on youtube, but I can say that what you describe didn't come across in the room at all. He was totally into it and driving the train. He's not Marco Minnemann - but as a big Marco fan and disciple (I studied all his DVD), I would say that he's covered enough of vibe and intensity of the parts to satisfy me. He also adds some nice touches that are completely original. Per my discussion with him, he said Steven told him specifically not to be Marco - but of course he realizes that there are a ton of drummers, like me, that will be over-analyzing every 32nd note triplet that he either does or doesn't do. He knows he's got to respect the song, satisfy those that want the Marco vibe and find little spots to inject his own voice. The dude's got an extremely difficult gig (and would be a dream of a lifetime for a drummer like me). I think he did an admirable job.

Dave Kilminster was also f***ing stellar. I love Guthrie's playing (and The Aristocrats) and worried about this - but I had no reason to worry. Dave is less shred, but possibly more soulful. The solos in Regret #9 were fantastic and a highlight of the show. He plays with alot of intensity (not necessity density) and was totally with the band and within a vibe of the songs. Very impressed and pleased. Again, he's not Guthrie - but played excellently and injected his own voice. Well done.

Edited by cygnify

Also, I just recalled another nugget from our discussion of how Craig got the gig. It went like this: Steven auditioned a few drummers that were not suitable. He started to worry about the US tour and he called Gavin Harrison. Gavin recommended Craig. Craig had an audition and Steven was happy gave him the job. Steven has been so pleased with his playing on the US legs that he asked Craig to stay on for the European tour in the Fall.

Also, I just recalled another nugget from our discussion of how Craig got the gig. It went like this: Steven auditioned a few drummers that were not suitable. He started to worry about the US tour and he called Gavin Harrison. Gavin recommended Craig. Craig had an audition and Steven was happy gave him the job. Steven has been so pleased with his playing on the US legs that he asked Craig to stay on for the European tour in the Fall.

Gavin is in Fripp mode...it would have been interesting if HE took the gig.... Craig did a pretty nice job in Harrisburg last week...the only boot I had up until this point was with Marco, and I was thinking big shoes to fill! Steven was rooting him on a few times during the show which was nice!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Gavin is in Fripp mode...it would have been interesting if HE took the gig.... Craig did a pretty nice job in Harrisburg last week...the only boot I had up until this point was with Marco, and I was thinking big shoes to fill! Steven was rooting him on a few times during the show which was nice!

Yeah, I'm not sure SW called Gavin for the gig - I think it was more for advice. Marco has such a unique voice on the drums, an amazing energy, and just insane chops - so yeah, tough shoes to fill. Craig told me SW specifically told him not to be Marco - but IMO he took some cues from Marco's approach, made some input of his own, and accented the right things that suit the music. While SW's music is involved, it is nowhere near the insanity of The Aristocrats. You can play HCE or Lazarus or something like that and compliment the music and make it sound pretty good. I have a thought that it's sort of like routing for the common man - but make no mistake, Craig's got some serious chops of his own!