Jump to content


The Official Golf Hacker Thread


  • Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#281 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 22 October 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

League guys played 18 yesterday.  I played fantastic.  Shot 38-38.  Had 2 birdies, 11 pars, 3 bogies, 2 doubles. I als lipped out 2 putts.  Best round i have ever shot.
Sweet!

Sponsored Post

#282 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1582 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

Golf is finally back !!  

My league started last week.

I have played twice so far, shooting a 41 and a 42.  Due to the weather I didn't really get a chance to practice at all before playing in the league.

#283 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 21 April 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Golf is finally back !!  

My league started last week.

I have played twice so far, shooting a 41 and a 42.  Due to the weather I didn't really get a chance to practice at all before playing in the league.
My league started, and I also played twice.  Shot 51, 52.  :lol:

In our league, 50+ is known as the "beer number".  If you shoot it, you owe the group a case of beer.  So, for week two, I played with the league organizer.  We were walking up to #4 tee, and he's saying that maybe we should limit new guys to one case per year (I an considered a new guy, since I haven;t played in the league for about a decade).  I had started the round bogie, par, par, so was feeling pretty confident.  I tell the guy that if a guy doesn't want to bring a case of beer, don;t shoot 50 or higher.  Of course...

...things start to go south.  On hole 4 I had a great drive, but my approach shot from 130yds comes up 10 yds short.  My chip goes 15 feet past, I miss the come-backer from above the hole, then mis-read a three footer that had a wicked break.  Mark that a six.  Next hole is a par 5.  I hit it hard, but a little right, where their is a service road that border a water hazard.  We look for my ball, can't find it, so I drop and hit up to about 150yds.  Just then, I hear from the fairway "Anyone laying a Titleist 2?".  It's my tee shot, sitting dead center in the fairway at about 190yds.  Too bad, though, as I'd already put another ball in play.  of course, I'm a little steamed, and miss my third shot just enough to land in the bunker, a wet, muddy bunker.  First shot out of the sand hits the lip, as does the second.  I blast the third onto the green, past the flag and into the rough on the other side.  I chip ten feet back past the flag and sink a tough ten-footer to salvage a ten.  My playing partners not telling me about having found my ball till after I played another cost me five strokes, putting me on full tilt for the remainder of the round.  Long story short, that's how you shoot 15 over in six holes to make a 52.  :P

#284 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1582 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

Last two weeks have been ok.

Shot 45 on a miserable rainy, windy evening.  Won my match 7-2.

This past Wednesday shot a 43 as I was in 4 bunkers ( the bunkers pretty much suck as they are in horrible shape) and I got 3 doubles on those holes.  I did get a birdie though!!  Shot a 43.  Won my match 5.5 - 3.5.

#285 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 05 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Last two weeks have been ok.

Shot 45 on a miserable rainy, windy evening.  Won my match 7-2.

This past Wednesday shot a 43 as I was in 4 bunkers ( the bunkers pretty much suck as they are in horrible shape) and I got 3 doubles on those holes.  I did get a birdie though!!  Shot a 43.  Won my match 5.5 - 3.5.
I hate you.  :P

My game is a complete mess, and I shot a par-less 54 on Thursday.  Missed my best par chance, a THREE FOOTER, on hole seven. Went on to make a 9 on eight and a 7 on nine.

:facepalm:

#286 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 17316 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

View Postgoose, on 05 May 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 05 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Last two weeks have been ok.

Shot 45 on a miserable rainy, windy evening.  Won my match 7-2.

This past Wednesday shot a 43 as I was in 4 bunkers ( the bunkers pretty much suck as they are in horrible shape) and I got 3 doubles on those holes.  I did get a birdie though!!  Shot a 43.  Won my match 5.5 - 3.5.
I hate you.  :P

My game is a complete mess, and I shot a par-less 54 on Thursday.  Missed my best par chance, a THREE FOOTER, on hole seven. Went on to make a 9 on eight and a 7 on nine.

:facepalm:
I am going out for my first round in about 3 years next Monday.  Its going to be a bloodbath.

I thought about going to the range tonight but I doubt it would do me much good.

#287 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

So, last week was better.  After three-putting the 1st hole, I birdied #2, a 165yd par 3 where I managed to draw a perfect 8-iron to about 5 feet.   That got me KP for the day.  I was making pars and bogies till the 7th, where I  got to the green in 2 but four-putted.  I followed that with a choke on the par five 8th, where I got to 135yds in two but then took six more shots to get in the hole.  I actually made a twelve footer to salvage an eight!  Parred #9, to finish with a 46.

The game is coming around...

#288 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1582 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

Had a great round last night, but what could have been!! :)

Had birdie putts on the first 5 holes.  Ranging from tap-in to 35 feet.  Made 2 birdies but also 3-putted two of the holes!

Shot a 38 (par 35).  But could have been a 35 or 36.  Best ball striking round I have ever had.

#289 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 17 May 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Had a great round last night, but what could have been!! :)

Had birdie putts on the first 5 holes.  Ranging from tap-in to 35 feet.  Made 2 birdies but also 3-putted two of the holes!

Shot a 38 (par 35).  But could have been a 35 or 36.  Best ball striking round I have ever had.
Sounds like a sweet round!

Edited by goose, 17 May 2018 - 02:32 PM.


#290 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27796 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

My golf has been showing signs of really good things to come. With the 3 right wrist fusion surgeries it has been difficult finding a way to swing that I can repeat with soon level of consistency. It's weird though because as it is with most folks the short game and putting is really what has been holding me back from shooting what I consider good scores. I have been shooting anywhere between 77 and 82 for a month or two but leaving 4 to 5 shots a round out there with 3 putts and missed 4 to 8 footers every round. I recently switched to the pencil grip putting style and had a 27 putt round yesterday. I only shot 80 (not great) but I see really good things coming soon. I haven't had anything worse than bogey my last 2 rounds which I consider progress at least with consistency off the tee, approaches and on and around the greens. I feel a 74, 75 is just around the corner once I piece the whole game together...

#291 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostNarps, on 17 May 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

My golf has been showing signs of really good things to come. With the 3 right wrist fusion surgeries it has been difficult finding a way to swing that I can repeat with soon level of consistency. It's weird though because as it is with most folks the short game and putting is really what has been holding me back from shooting what I consider good scores. I have been shooting anywhere between 77 and 82 for a month or two but leaving 4 to 5 shots a round out there with 3 putts and missed 4 to 8 footers every round. I recently switched to the pencil grip putting style and had a 27 putt round yesterday. I only shot 80 (not great) but I see really good things coming soon. I haven't had anything worse than bogey my last 2 rounds which I consider progress at least with consistency off the tee, approaches and on and around the greens. I feel a 74, 75 is just around the corner once I piece the whole game together...
:ebert:

I used to be where you are, but lack of play and practice has made the game feel like I'm learning it for the first time.  It's actually kind of fun, because I know it won't last forever.

#292 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 17316 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 May 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 17 May 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

My golf has been showing signs of really good things to come. With the 3 right wrist fusion surgeries it has been difficult finding a way to swing that I can repeat with soon level of consistency. It's weird though because as it is with most folks the short game and putting is really what has been holding me back from shooting what I consider good scores. I have been shooting anywhere between 77 and 82 for a month or two but leaving 4 to 5 shots a round out there with 3 putts and missed 4 to 8 footers every round. I recently switched to the pencil grip putting style and had a 27 putt round yesterday. I only shot 80 (not great) but I see really good things coming soon. I haven't had anything worse than bogey my last 2 rounds which I consider progress at least with consistency off the tee, approaches and on and around the greens. I feel a 74, 75 is just around the corner once I piece the whole game together...
:ebert:

I used to be where you are, but lack of play and practice has made the game feel like I'm learning it for the first time.  It's actually kind of fun, because I know it won't last forever.
This is where I am too.  Been on the range about 4 times in the last two weeks and played in a best ball tournament on Monday.

The range time has been good.  The swing is still there, I just need to make it consistent.  If it ever stops raining I will try and get 9 holes in a couple of evenings a week..  I feel like its been raining here for 3 months.

#293 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

So, another Thursday of 9hole league play.  Things are coming together, with more moments of brilliance and fewer of disaster.  I shot 43, a really, really good 43 consudering I made 9 (+5) on one hole.  :P

I started with birdie-bogie-birdie-bogie-par, the came to a pretty long par 4. I made great contact off the tee, but pulled it a bit left of the fairway into a lateral bunker.  175yds out, I tried to pick it out with a 7iron.  Turns out there was a huge rock just below the surface, and it caught my club causing a toe shank.  I rushed my next shot (my group was playing slow) and blocked it right across the fairway into weeds and behind trees.  I lofted my next shot over the trees...and over the green.  Now I have to flop it over another set of trees.  Again I fly the green and have to pitch on.  Lying 6 and a little hot under the collar, of course I three-putt.  :lol:

Finished bogie-par-par.

#294 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27796 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

View Postgoose, on 18 May 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

So, another Thursday of 9hole league play.  Things are coming together, with more moments of brilliance and fewer of disaster.  I shot 43, a really, really good 43 consudering I made 9 (+5) on one hole.  :P

I started with birdie-bogie-birdie-bogie-par, the came to a pretty long par 4. I made great contact off the tee, but pulled it a bit left of the fairway into a lateral bunker.  175yds out, I tried to pick it out with a 7iron.  Turns out there was a huge rock just below the surface, and it caught my club causing a toe shank.  I rushed my next shot (my group was playing slow) and blocked it right across the fairway into weeds and behind trees.  I lofted my next shot over the trees...and over the green.  Now I have to flop it over another set of trees.  Again I fly the green and have to pitch on.  Lying 6 and a little hot under the collar, of course I three-putt.  :lol:

Finished bogie-par-par.
Always great to put the 3 putt icing on the crappy hole cake... :lol:

Edited by Narps, 18 May 2018 - 10:38 AM.


#295 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostNarps, on 18 May 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 18 May 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

So, another Thursday of 9hole league play.  Things are coming together, with more moments of brilliance and fewer of disaster.  I shot 43, a really, really good 43 consudering I made 9 (+5) on one hole.  :P

I started with birdie-bogie-birdie-bogie-par, the came to a pretty long par 4. I made great contact off the tee, but pulled it a bit left of the fairway into a lateral bunker.  175yds out, I tried to pick it out with a 7iron.  Turns out there was a huge rock just below the surface, and it caught my club causing a toe shank.  I rushed my next shot (my group was playing slow) and blocked it right across the fairway into weeds and behind trees.  I lofted my next shot over the trees...and over the green.  Now I have to flop it over another set of trees.  Again I fly the green and have to pitch on.  Lying 6 and a little hot under the collar, of course I three-putt.  :lol:

Finished bogie-par-par.
Always great to put the 3 putt icing on the crappy hole cake... :lol:
Adding insult to injury.  :P

#296 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1582 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Shot a 40 in league play last night.

6 pars
2 bogeys
1 double - caused by a poor decision off of the tee.  Tried a different type of tee shot instead of my usual shot and pulled it left behind trees into high rough.  hacked out to a double.

#297 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27796 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 24 May 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

Shot a 40 in league play last night.

6 pars
2 bogeys
1 double - caused by a poor decision off of the tee.  Tried a different type of tee shot instead of my usual shot and pulled it left behind trees into high rough.  hacked out to a double.
Tried something different aye? I have found as you did it doesn't typically end well. I shot 39/40 79 today on the most wet saturated golf course I have played in recent memory. We have had threats of showers(and had plenty) daily on the lower East coast for over a week now. I have decided that a draw is "my shot" after way to much tinkering over the winter and spring months. If I could ever get myself to aim enough to the right and have faith I may be dangerous soon. I tend to draw the ball away from the flag left to often. The difference between 10 foot birdie putts and 40 footers...


#298 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:39 PM

this is good fun...



#299 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1582 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

Last two weeks:

Shot a 44 two weeks ago.  Two holes inflated that score.  One triple bogey on a Par 5 caused by a poor tee shot and a stupid decision on shot two which went OB.
I did win 5.5/9 points though.

Last night I shot a 42 on the most difficult of the nine hole courses.  The best score I can remember having in years on that nine.  Left 2 putts hanging on the lip!
Again I won 5.5/9 points and two skins!

I am putting much better than I ever have as I am using much less of a "wristy" putting motion and more of a pendulum with my shoulders.

#300 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 07 June 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Last two weeks:

Shot a 44 two weeks ago.  Two holes inflated that score.  One triple bogey on a Par 5 caused by a poor tee shot and a stupid decision on shot two which went OB.
I did win 5.5/9 points though.

Last night I shot a 42 on the most difficult of the nine hole courses.  The best score I can remember having in years on that nine.  Left 2 putts hanging on the lip!
Again I won 5.5/9 points and two skins!

I am putting much better than I ever have as I am using much less of a "wristy" putting motion and more of a pendulum with my shoulders.
I went to a split hand grip years ago which completely taken the wrists out.  I'm also more deliberate about standing directly over the ball.  Those two adjustments have made me a pretty deadly putter.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users