Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

And the careers of both bands went their, um, separate ways.

(groan)

They are both having good careers. RUSH's seems a bit better at the moment but if by any chance Steve Perry would return that might be a different story as long as he doesn't influence the compositions towards a more pop genre like he did on Raised on Radio and the following Trail by Fire. They both had some good moments though. :codger:

Xanadu takes a bite off of the Journey song "Nickel and Dime" Listen at 1:04. The song was recorded before AFTK. Of course RUSH made the riff 1000% times better! I still think Neal Schon is still soar about the success of Xanadu since he actually mentioned it live the last time they played it about three tours ago.I think the show where Alex pulled of this elaborate caper was during the 2112 Tour on April 28th, 1976 in Flint Michigan at IMA auditorium. Decide for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYSeyqaJmQ

I don't hear no tubular bells..................................??????? :eh: :D

I actually like that Journey song! I had never heard it before!

• Like 2

Xanadu takes a bite off of the Journey song "Nickel and Dime" Listen at 1:04. The song was recorded before AFTK. Of course RUSH made the riff 1000% times better! I still think Neal Schon is still soar about the success of Xanadu since he actually mentioned it live the last time they played it about three tours ago.I think the show where Alex pulled of this elaborate caper was during the 2112 Tour on April 28th, 1976 in Flint Michigan at IMA auditorium. Decide for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYSeyqaJmQ

I don't hear no tubular bells..................................??????? :eh: :D

I actually like that Journey song! I had never heard it before!

Its an Instrumental. What is there not to like! Even bad instrumentals are good! :codger:
  • Like 1

And the careers of both bands went their, um, separate ways. (groan)

They are both having good careers. RUSH's seems a bit better at the moment but if by any chance Steve Perry would return that might be a different story as long as he doesn't influence the compositions towards a more pop genre like he did on Raised on Radio and the following Trail by Fire. They both had some good moments though. :codger:

Indeed separate ways but both enormously successful in their own ways.

I pretty sure that Steve Perry's health has prohibited a return to the band in terms of the touring all the other members wanted to do, but apparently Journey have had some pretty astonishing success nevertheless. I saw this documentary on a plane, probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise. While I have to say that likelihood of my attending a Journey concert is next to nil, I found the doc compelling and even inspirational.

It opens a whole can-o'-worms discussion on what a true fan should allow in terms of replacing a key member, but considering Journey's line-up changes over the years, less so:

• Like 1

Having just played my way through Xanadu, I think it owes more to The Who and Pinball Wizard that any Journey song.

Ever since I was a young boy,

I've played the silver ball.

From Soho down to Brighton

I must have played them all.

But I ain't seen nothing like him

In any amusement hall.

That deaf dumb and blind kid

Xaaaan.... aaaa...... duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaahoooh.

edited to correct lyric

Edited by Ged Lent's sis
  • Like 1

Having just played my way through Xanadu, I think it owes more to The Who and Pinball Wizard that any Journey song.

I think you'd have to be deaf or daft not to hear the connection between that section of Nickel & Dime and Xanadu. A case of someone wearing their Rush earmuffs I think.

I think you'd have to be deaf or daft not to hear the connection between that section of Nickel & Dime and Xanadu. A case of someone wearing their Rush earmuffs I think.

I can hear the resemblance but who cares really, are you the one responsible for buying all of the copies of Journey's Greatest Hits to keep it in the charts?

I can hear the resemblance but who cares really, are you the one responsible for buying all of the copies of Journey's Greatest Hits to keep it in the charts?

I was merely concerned with that rubbish you wrote about it sounding more like Pinball Wizard than the Journey song. If you are going to post like a simpleton expect to be treated like one.

I was merely concerned with that rubbish you wrote about it sounding more like Pinball Wizard than the Journey song. If you are going to post like a simpleton expect to be treated like one.

Sorry for being a simpleton but we all know Rush cite The Who as an influence, not sure they were influenced by Journey.

Sorry for being a simpleton but we all know Rush cite The Who as an influence, not sure they were influenced by Journey.

And the title of this topic is?

• Like 1

Doesn't say Journey. I'm not losing sleep over this.

• Like 1

But c'mon, your first post to which the rest of the discussion was based on was incorrect and now it seems you are just trying to change the subject. No one said that Rush was inspired by Journey more than The Who, but that part of Xanadu sounds very little like any part of Pinball Wizard but almost exactly like the part in the Journey song.

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Actually it does if you actually read it properly.

Ok let's have a little fun. If you want to accuse anybody of stealing you can do it with many songs but in context it would be mostly wrong. There are chord progressions common to many pieces that are used over and over. Here's a few quick examples of one common progression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS5rS_da9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGasaah8lrw